Honored Contributor

I love, love this show!  I watch and DVR it every time it's on the air!  I'll even watch it 2 and 3 times!  (I seldom repeat a show).

My late husband owned a building business.  I find it so interesting that these guys do so many things to make these houses totally perfect.

I know enough and have seen some of the houses built by others that they cut corners every chance they get and the homeowners never know it!

We built our house (well, my husband followed the builders like a hawk).  So many times he'd inspect it and one time he pulled off the entire siding because they hadn't put the right insulation behind it.  If you came into our rec room downstairs you'd find 2 layers of panneling on it.  The first panelling wasn't what it was supposed to be.  He told the builder, "You can pannel over it or rip it off and put what I wanted up and rip the first off.  They opted to panel over it because it would have messed up the underboard. It was wood panelling but my husband wanted what he'd picked out and in the order he requested.  It was supposed to show continuity something about like a tree....(I was like...whatever)!  Ha!

I could go on but it would bore you.  He's been dead several years now.  My house needs some repairs.  I don't know of anyone (nor do people I know) who can do the work and I trust to do it right.  My friends know people who do home repair work but even the friends say you have to watch them like a hawk.  I'm soon 71 years old and not able to keep an eye on everything they do.

When this house was being built I went there every day and did the painting, wallpapering, stained all of the wood, etc.  I was there.  I still know what they should do but can't get around like I used to do.

It's so frustrating...(getting old).  I'm in good health but physically have a very bad back and it affects one of my new knees.  Boo Hoo!

There just aren't enough good builders who really care about doing a good job.  Too bad.  Just a sign of the times, I guess.

Respected Contributor

Re: TV Show - This Old House!

[ Edited ]

I so agree with you about finding help with repairs, it's beyond frustrating. I stopped watching This Old House when they foscued more on showing how items for the home were made instead of showing how the work on the house was done. I don't want to know the process of making a sink or faucet, just show me getting it installed & the rest of the building & remodeling progress, that's what interests me.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 I enjoy the entire process.  In my mind part of learning what to do with something is understanding it from start to finish.

That's what makes life interesting....we all like different things.

One time (after he died) I decided to put new locks on my house.  There are a lot of windows and doors and it was frustrating having different keys to open ...say back porch lock vs basement lock.  I wanted the same key for everything.  It's possible if you know what you're doing.

I called what I thought was a reputable company.  They had a huge add so I thought if I had a problem the company would back me up....no!

The guy was here for hours!  He had no idea what he was doing.  He'd bought a franchise and had just started....

I told him to get the heck out of my house!  After a few hundred dollars I still had different keys for each lock!  

So frustrating!  When you are married to someone who can fix anything and do it perfectly, it's hard to find someone who can even do it 1/2 right!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

When you are married to someone who can fix anything and do it perfectly, it's hard to find someone who can even do it 1/2 right!

Now you know how the rest of us feel.  LOL.  Angie's List is a good place to look for reputable service providers.  NextDoor can also help.

Respected Contributor

I agree we all like different things & Sorry for the loss of your husband. My late husband was just like yours, he could build & repair anything. I don't know if I showed my him how much I appreciated everything he did but know it's going to be hard to leave this house, I see all the work he did around me. Keep enjoying TOH.

Esteemed Contributor

I love watching TOH. Th craftsmanship is good. I like it because I have learned so much, not just decorating. But asbestos removal, plumbing, wire, etc. The non fun but necessary part of building.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Super Contributor

I love watching This Old House.

Does anyone know when the new season starts?

Honored Contributor

We watched this house at the very beginning of the show. Bob Villa.  My husband was still working for builders, he's a carpenter.  WAS.

In our area there are a few men in business, who go out on the road and hire themselves out, to repair things for those who no longer can do it for themselves.  Kind of a self-Mr.-Fix-It man.  Boy, that's a good business for either one or two people to get into in my book.  They are still on line or in the yellow pages, so it must still be working for them.