Super Contributor

Re: TV Coverage of Hurricane Irma

Well those of us who are in the direct path of Irma are appreciative of the coverage. I'm not sure how much longer we'll have power. 

If the coverage bothers you so much:

Change the channel

Turn your TV off

Read a book

Respected Contributor

Did MSNBC really just have to bring up global warming ....

Trusted Contributor

Yes, it's an important factor in what's happening. Any meteorologist will tell you that.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Esteemed Contributor

Look at it this way...the ocean levels are rising. You can't argue with a ruler. So even if the  term global warming wrankles, architects and engineers in Florida, as well as officials of all parties in the state, are planning and designing buildings and infrastructure that take into account those rising water levels. Meanwhile, I'm still glued to my TV, texting my family in Florida, hoping for the best, and still wondering why these meteorologists have to stay outside to the point of risking their lives.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian I think you said it well (much better than I can).

I've been driving my daughter crazy in Orlando and my son-in-law (her husband) who owns many businesses in Miami (some right on the waterfront).

She keeps telling me everything is fine and if anything they're a little worried about tornadoes.  She still has electricity.  He has said the Miami waterfront often floods (the streets).  I'm not minimizing anything but sometimes (I think) they have to stand out there because otherwise we wouldn't be glued to the TV.

I was telling my sister (who's much younger than I am (I'm 71 this year) that during the Vietnam War we'd sit in front of the TV and the reporters would be filming in the trenches with the men fighting.  I actually knew of someone who's relative was shot and saw it on TV (he didn't die).

It always bothers me some when more is made of something than it is or could be because it makes some people complacent.  It minimizes the REAL whatever it is.  I'm not talking about the storm just some reporters in general.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think these reporters covering the hurricane are loving every minute of "oh look at me in the hurricane !!" ...  No one pushed them out there and my impression is ego ...