Esteemed Contributor

TV Coverage of Hurricane Irma

My daughter and grandchildren live in Florida so I am glued to the TV. It's Sunday morning so the worst is about to hit central FL, where they live. I am watching reporters on NBC, CNN, and the Weather Channel being battered and put directly in harm's way. I very much appreciate the fact that we can see what's happening but it has reached the point of absurdity to put these people in such incredible danger. What will it take for them to allow these people to take cover...a death? 

Valued Contributor

Re: TV Coverage of Hurricane Irma

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

My daughter and grandchildren live in Florida so I am glued to the TV. It's Sunday morning so the worst is about to hit central FL, where they live. I am watching reporters on NBC, CNN, and the Weather Channel being battered and put directly in harm's way. I very much appreciate the fact that we can see what's happening but it has reached the point of absurdity to put these people in such incredible danger. What will it take for them to allow these people to take cover...a death? 

Unfortunately, you are probably right.....

Super Contributor

I agree that it is absurd.   

Esteemed Contributor

The guy on the Weather Channel that is in Miami standing in that wind - that isn't informative.........it has passed into sensationalism.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

I wonder if they have vehicles that are specially built to withstand horrible weather and carry all their broadcasting equipment around? I can't imagine that they travel around in the regular remote TV vans you see around.

Honored Contributor

It really is just too much , i just turned it off.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

The guy on the Weather Channel that is in Miami standing in that wind - that isn't informative.........it has passed into sensationalism.

Just once I'd like to see him blow away. Not get hurt mind you, just blown like a block down the street and then recoup and get back on his feet. Because it's so ridiculous him standing out there like that.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

OMG YES!  It is so entertaining.... NOT!   standing in the wind.. talking about falling palm frods... coconuts... swaying signs.... I mean please... yes these things happen in the wind... one reporter was taking about damaged awnings on a building... duh.........

Contributor

A few years ago, Mike Bettes from the Waether channel almost died when their vehicle flipped while they were storm chasing tornadoes. I don't believe he has ever done that again. 

Honored Contributor

Video cam should just about cover it.