Trusted Contributor

Re: TV Ads -- $19 Monthly Charity Donations

My charitable donation pet peeve is the gigantic utility company that asks us to donate to a fund to help struggling homeowners with their winter bills. I feel for those customers and have donated. But every year when I get the request I think, why doesn't the company just donate a chunk of their HUGE profits.....or better yet, why not bring down the rates!

I donate through my paycheck at work which makes the tax easier to prove when filing.

Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I send a check every once in awhile to our local animal shelter. I know they need it. That's it.

Honored Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

My charitable donation pet peeve is the gigantic utility company that asks us to donate to a fund to help struggling homeowners with their winter bills. I feel for those customers and have donated. But every year when I get the request I think, why doesn't the company just donate a chunk of their HUGE profits.....or better yet, why not bring down the rates!

I donate through my paycheck at work which makes the tax easier to prove when filing.

Woman Frustrated

@candyagain The problem here is that their profits come from our money.  And with utility companies, most rates are set by the state--who is basically appropriating OUR money to allow them the excess to donate.  

And do you get a tax break for your donation?  

No.  You do NOT.  They do. 

Honored Contributor

I found this answer on google:

"The IRS requires charities and nonprofits to give donors receipts for annual donations totaling $250 or more. Asking for $19 monthly adds up to only $228 a year. This saves them from the cost and time needed to mail receipts to their many donors."

Honored Contributor

I give what I can, when I can and I really don't want or appreciate anybody telling me what I should give!  I have had an issue recently with a very well know organization and they have been relentless in not only their mailings but in their calls!  Calls constantly day and night and also on early Sunday mornings.  I finally had had enough and told them.  I feel it's bad practice what you are doing and I ask you to desist right now ---- do not call me again!  So far, it has worked.  I am still getting mailings though --- which are going in the trash.  It's a shame, but these kind of tactics are very abrasive and should not happen!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I give to St Jude every month.  It comes out automatically.  My late husband started out paying $19 a month and gradually, I've made it up to $25.

I'm like those of you who don't like it when they give out blankets, etc.  I think they should use that money toward the charity itself.

During the year I hear about people and places who are struggling and I write a check to them.

There are a few places I send money to every year.  One is a church that my friend from elementary school attends.  They provide food and a place for homeless people in the winter.

This year I had to have surgery on a tooth.  My dentist's partner told me about a charity he runs in Lebanon.  His family still lives there.  He said just a few dollars in that country goes a long way.  I've been donating to that.

Then there is another friend from elementary school who has a farm and takes in horses and animals that no one wants.

I like giving to places like that.  People tend to give to the big charities.  That's fine.  I prefer to give to the small one's that are really struggling, especially this time of year.

I used to donate to a group of ladies who provide homes for pit bulls that have been mistreated.  However, I'm not sure they are still doing it.

I hope people think about small charities like these.  I'm sure a little research would show that there are a lot of people in this country doing good and need a little help.

I don't give a lot, just a little to help them along the way.  I don't just give it at Christmas, but maybe in the summer too.

The way I look at it, God expects us to help each other and just $10 here and there would help another.