Honored Contributor

TV Ads -- $19 Monthly Charity Donations

Have seen these for years and wonder how these organizatioins came up with the amount of $19 a month. Anyone know?

Respected Contributor

Re: TV Ads -- $19 Monthly Charity Donations

@Love my grandkids  Not really sure.  The T2T (tunnels 2 towers) organization asks for $11 / month, which I'm sure is because of 9 11.  A meaningful number.  Don't know if the other organizations have some hidden meaning in what they ask or if they simply pick a number that they think sounds affordable and doable for most people. 

Honored Contributor

Probably because a lot of people don't multiply 12x$19 in their heads.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

the ones that bug me, regardless of the quality of the charity, give out a blanket or other junk.

how about just saving the expense of the "gift" and put back to the coffers 

but it is always 19$ sounds less than 20 but more than 10?

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear   For what I think was the first time, just this week I got a request for a donation and there was a box to check refusing the "reward".   That alone had me hanging onto the request.  

I find it difficult to believe so many donors are attracted by the cheap freebies, but apparently they work because so many organizations use them.  Pretty sad imo

Esteemed Contributor

Because it sounds cheaper than $20. Same reason Q hosts tell you "and it's under $20" when it's $19.98.

Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Have seen these for years and wonder how these organizatioins came up with the amount of $19 a month. Anyone know?

@Love my grandkids 

The IRS requires charities and nonprofits to give donors receipts for annual donations totaling $250 or more. Asking for $19 monthly adds up to only $228 a year. This saves them from the cost and time needed to mail receipts to their many donors.

Valued Contributor

@mspatmac 

Now that is interesting about the IRS. It makes sense. Last week, my husband and I were questioning this why $19, not 15 or 20...

Honored Contributor

What about all the pitches now to buy products because the company "gives" (tax deduction = "gives") a billion or so to a charity.  "Billion" = money from customers.

And they BRAG about it!  I think, but it's just my opinion, that perhaps buying and shipping and quality would be far better served for their customers if companies stuck to their knitting ("knitting" what they sell and ship) rather than becoming huge charities.

And we don't even get a say in where our money goes nor do we know how and where it is really spent.  I have a huge problem with all of this company/charity mix now.