Honored Contributor

TUESDAY'S FOR BARBARA STANWYCK FANS TCM!

11:00 a.m. Eastern, Tuesday, TCM:

"East Side, West Side"-- Barbara Stanwyck, James Mason, Van Heflin, Ava Gardner, Cyd Charisse.  

OK, gang, this may be repetitive, but I can't help alerting this (which was on TCM some months ago, but never gets old, ha.)  Hoping anyone who's missed it gets to watch.

Barbara is a gentle, clever New York socialite, married to suave James Mason, who has a history of guiltily straying with Ava Gardner, (at her most seductive and unscrupulous here), but is supposedly "on the wagon".  Ava blows back into town, and maybe "the thing" is on again?

Meanwhile, Stanwyck meets globe-trotting writer Van Heflin, who is surprisingly and visibly smitten with her almost at once.  And as written here, Heflin's role makes him infinitely more interesting and mensch-y and appealing than Stanwyck's weak, conflictedly disloyal husband...

Cyd Charisse is the girl "from the neighborhood" who still has a crush on Heflin, and Nancy Davis (Nancy Reagan, to us) is reliably good as Stanwyck's supportive close friend.

So there are intersecting romantic triangles, New York cafe society atmosphere, and even a bit of big city crime-solving injected into "East Side, West Side".  An altogether satisfying post-war urban drama, and a must for Stanwyck fans!  Here's quirkily cute Van Heflin beginning his hard fall for Stanwyck:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/464029/East-Side-West-Side-Movie-Clip-Character-Witness.html

And at 2:45 p.m. Eastern, a younger Stanwyck charms as a dizzy heiress mixed up in a mystery with Henry Fonda, in "The Mad Miss Manton".   Slight, amusing trifle.

Valued Contributor

Re: TUESDAY'S FOR BARBARA STANWYCK FANS TCM!

Barbara Stanwyck was such a great actress. She had such a long career, with so many films to her credit. I can't begin to pick out which of her films I like the best, but "East Side, West Side" is certainly a good one.

I recently watched episodes of  "The Big Valley" on one of the nostalgia stations, and re-watched "The Thorn Birds" on dvd. She was just so good.

Honored Contributor

So true, @Highlands72.  I have so many of hers I love, it's very difficult to choose favorites.

Let's see.  I would say that Billy Wilder's "Double Indemnity" was probably her greatest opportunity, and a near-perfect film. but there are others that are so compelling too.

Love her in "Meet John Doe",  "Remember the Night",  "Christmas in Connecticut",  "The File on Thelma Jordon",  "The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers",   "Witness to Murder",  "Crime of Passion".

There are too many to think of!   And like you I like her in "The Big Valley"  as "Victoria Barkley".   It would never have been the series it was without her quiet but unmistakable star power...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And Ball of Fire with Gary Cooper.  And Baby Face and so many others.  I'll be traveling tomorrow so unfortunately won't see the movies mentioned but knowing TCM I'm sure they'll be on again.

Honored Contributor

I loved BS in Stella Dallas & Baby Face.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

So true, @Highlands72.  I have so many of hers I love, it's very difficult to choose favorites.

Let's see.  I would say that Billy Wilder's "Double Indemnity" was probably her greatest opportunity, and a near-perfect film. but there are others that are so compelling too.

Love her in "Meet John Doe",  "Remember the Night",  "Christmas in Connecticut",  "The File on Thelma Jordon",  "The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers",   "Witness to Murder",  "Crime of Passion".

There are too many to think of!   And like you I like her in "The Big Valley"  as "Victoria Barkley".   It would never have been the series it was without her quiet but unmistakable star power...

--

Oh, yes, the two you mentioned with Fred MacMurray are wonderful. "Remember the Night" is such a cute film; I watch it every Christmas season. I just love when Sterling Holloway sings "The End of a Perfect Day." I was unfamiliar with that song until I heard it in that film.

In a way, I relate to that movie, as it evokes early childhood memories. My two great-aunts, who lived together and raised their nephew from childhood after the deaths of his parents, would get so excited when he came home to visit each year for Christmas.  He had moved to NYC after military service and university, and they rarely got to see him after that, except at Christmas time. They would go all-out for his visits; we would have a big dinner and sing around the piano. They just adored him and kept his room at their house as he left it. One year, he brought his future wife with him. Such sweet long-ago memories.

Esteemed Contributor

I liked BS in Christmas in Connecticut, but my favorite was in The Thorn Birds.

She was perfect as Mary Carson.  I have it on DVD and never tire of watching it.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

I loved BS in Stella Dallas & Baby Face.

--

"Stella Dallas" was such a tear-jerker. Love it.

Honored Contributor

That story of your aunts is so dear, @Highlands72.  And quite reminscent of the sweet family situation in "Remember the Night"...

Respected Contributor

When I think of BS it is her voice I remember. It was like no other. Of course she was a great actress.