Trusted Contributor

Re: TUESDAY IS DOROTHY MCGUIRE DAY ON TCM

Thanks---I taped a few of them.

Respected Contributor

Wonderful actress.  Glad they are honoring her.  Also loved her in "The Dark At the Top of the Stairs."

Honored Contributor

Oh, what a great example of the dichotomy of that sort of scene, @antiquarian!  I love your penetrating insights into filmmaking and acting.  You seem to have both intuitive "flashes",  as well as a sure intellectual grasp,  which makes your comments so rewarding.

About being intially "put off" by the mannerisms of certain actors.   I initialy had a similar reaction to the brilliant, inventive Teresa Wright-- talk about "arch"!   But then I just went with it, and saw how very, very good she was, and how she knew exactly what she was doing.  It boneheadedly took me awhile, but now I bow to her greatness, ha.  

Frequent Contributor

@twinsister  Oooh boy, SUSAN SLADE!  I love that one, lol.  Kitsch Central!!  Jaunty Max Steiner score.  To-die-for beach house.  "Officer McShane" (Lloyd Nolan) as Dorothy's husband. (everything comes full circle, ha!).  Troy Donahue, as always, is impossibly earnest.   Connie Stevens, what can one say?  Perky, bouncy, cute.  Remember her as Cricket on Hawaiian Eye?  

Frequent Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, what a great example of the dichotomy of that sort of scene, @antiquarian!  I love your penetrating insights into filmmaking and acting.  You seem to have both intuitive "flashes",  as well as a sure intellectual grasp,  which makes your comments so rewarding.

About being intially "put off" by the mannerisms of certain actors.   I initialy had a similar reaction to the brilliant, inventive Teresa Wright-- talk about "arch"!   But then I just went with it, and saw how very, very good she was, and how she knew exactly what she was doing.  It boneheadedly took me awhile, but now I bow to her greatness, ha.  

Oh, @Oznell  I really appreciate your compliments.  I can go from to "intellectual" to five year old child in a Noo Yawk second.  My idea of a nifty double feature would be Antonioni's L'ECLISSE paired with ROBOT MONSTER. (the space alien is a gorilla with a t.v. antenna on his head)

And I think I know what you mean about Theresa Wright, although I haven't seen enough of her later performances, only the more "youthful" ones.  

Honored Contributor

Did you know I had to google that name?  I have never heard of her.   And apparently she was famous.

Esteemed Contributor

@antiquarian  - Yes - I do remember Connie Stevens in Hawaiian Eye!!  That was a long time ago!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What, no  A Summer Place??

Frequent Contributor

@Shelbelle  I think A SUMMER PLACE is coming up next.  

I'm trying to get through MOTHER DIDN'T TELL ME.  What a slog.  Waste of good cast.  Even Dorothy can't save this.  That tells you how bad it is.

(Groan) @Oznell, it looks like another post of mine is gone -- the one you so generously praised re:  A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN.  And I was so very careful with the edit button.  My finger never went near "Delete".  Oh, well, lol, it's not as though some literary masterpiece has disappeared.

Frequent Contributor

My mistake -- the wonderfully schlocky SUSAN SLADE is up next, with A SUMMER PLACE immediately following it at 8 p.m. est.