Honored Contributor

TUESDAY, CHRISTMAS EVE LINE-UP AT TCM

Tuesday, Christmas Eve on TCM is choc-a-bloc with heartwarming classics, most of which (but not all) have a Christmas theme:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-12-24

Hope you see some of your faves included in that schedule above.  So many of mine are there, especially: 

"The Man Who Came to Dinner"

"The Bishop's Wife"

"In the Good Old Summertime"

"Meet John Doe"

"It Happened on Fifth Avenue"

"Meet Me in St. Louis"

Question though:  Where's "Christmas in Connecticut"?   Don't tell me I missed it this year???

Also on Tuesday, the Fox Movie Channel (retro) is featuring lots of Shirley Temple, plus classics like the heart-tugging "My Friend Flicka" and sprightly "Daddy Long Legs".

Happy Holidays, intrepid movie fans!

Trusted Contributor

Re: TUESDAY, CHRISTMAS EVE LINE-UP AT TCM

An absolute must for taping and viewing on the line up is "It Happened On Fifth Avenue". This little sleeper I discovered a couple of years ago on TCM and just fell in love with the movie; the characters, the actors and actresses, everything about it! Charles Ruggles and Ann Harding shine along with Victor Moore, his wonderful dog, and  Gale Storm and Don DeFore. It just leaves you feeling light hearted with a smile on your face. 

Honored Contributor

"Christmas in CT." is a charming film. The first and the best has B. Stanwyk and that Irish tenor-can't recall his name. She is a Martha S. type person and writes a column,but is all a sham. He is a soldier and her editor convinces her to have him join her for Christmas. 

Sweet film. Ends happily ever after. The second was directed by Arnold and a made for Tv film. Stars Dyan Canon ,Tony Curtis and Kris Kristopherson(sp). Not nearly as good.

The Irish tenor is Dennis Morgan.

I am a big fan of Dennis Morgan. There is a great Alfred Hitchcock where he a policeman and elderly ladies keep making things up so he will come to their home.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

@TexasMom1 wrote:

An absolute must for taping and viewing on the line up is "It Happened On Fifth Avenue". This little sleeper I discovered a couple of years ago on TCM and just fell in love with the movie; the characters, the actors and actresses, everything about it! Charles Ruggles and Ann Harding shine along with Victor Moore, his wonderful dog, and  Gale Storm and Don DeFore. It just leaves you feeling light hearted with a smile on your face. 

I agree, this is a wonderful movie.  Another nice one is Remember the Night with Fred McMurray and Barbara Stanwyck.  Story of a lawyer who takes home a lady on trial for theft.  Instead of leaving her in jail, Fred takes her home to his Mom's house to spend the holiday.  So sweet.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell

WOW! What a line-up! Not a clinker among them. Thank you, as ever, for the heads-up, Dear Oznell. Heart

@Group 5 minus 1I agree with you - Christmas in Connecticut is a complete joy! So fun to see sassy Barbara Stanwyck trying to make pancakes and take care of an infant. (I think she holds the baby upside down at first!) Such a funny, heartwarming movie. And I, too, love Dennis Morgan.

Merry Christmas and blessed holidays to all the classic movie fans that always post and share here. I am still waiting for A Pocketful of Miracles to run again - a weepy, overly-sentimental Christmas classic that I adore! Bette Davis is a marvel to behold in that movie, and I cry EVERYTIME I watch it. I am hopeless!

Happy New Year to all. To quote Pauline Kael, "I'll see you in the dark..." 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Holiday Affair is a strange one - Robert Mitchum completely miscast, in my opinion, and Janet Leigh with one of the most obnoxious 6-year-olds ever portrayed on film! Wendell Corey seems lost in the movie, and it just didn't work for me.

Respected Contributor

@TexasMom1 wrote:

@TexasMom1  I couldn't agree more, this is a wonderful movie!!

I never even heard of this movie before stumbling upon it last year. They sure don't make them like this anymore.

Trusted Contributor

@Jinlei 

I just saw Remember the Night for the first time very recently. So unexpected to see the warm family scenes with Fred MacMurray and "everybody's mother" Beulah Bondi (as Ben Mankiewicz refers to her.) 

Barbara Stanwyck with that big bow in her hair and the lace dress was a total surprise! I really enjoyed this movie, but, or course, my millenial daughter thought it was "too hokey." 

I say, of course it was - it's a feel-good Christmas movie! 

Honored Contributor

Someone here kindly reported that "It's a Wonderful Life" is going to be run as a marathon, continuously I think, on the "E" channel on Christmas day.

If anyone happens to notice "Christmas in Connecticut" showing up anywhere over the holidays, would much appreciate a shout-out!  Maybe I've missed noticing it on TCM, but a quick scan didn't reveal it on the schedule.

Any Christmas movie roster just doesn't seem complete without the shenanigans of "Christmas in Connecticut" and Stanwyck and dreamy Dennis Morgan falling in love while trimming that enormous tree! 

Respected Contributor

3:30am Eastern, December 24, Christmas in Connecticut, AMC Network.