Honored Contributor

TRIO OF GREAT AMERICAN FILMS SATURDAY 9:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

9:30 a.m. Eastern--  "Young Mr. Lincoln"  Henry Fonda, Alice Brady, Ward Bond    Fonda's portrayal of the gangly, brilliant, mesmerizingly elusive figure of young lawyer Lincoln is so good, on a par with the Raymond Massey version.  Depiction of rough-and-ready America is edifying and unforgettable, unsparingly shown in the terse, poetic direction by John Ford.

Oscar nominee:  Best Writing, Original Story

1:15 p.m. Eastern--  "Yankee Doodle Dandy"  Superb musical biography of George M. Cohan with one of the greatest figures of the classic film era, Jimmy Cagney.  Cagney's singing and hoofing a delight.  The vaudeville era magically captured;  the deathbed scene with Cohan's father (Walter Huston) one of the most quietly moving parental "passing of the torch" scenes ever recorded.

Deserved Oscar Best Actor win for Jimmy Cagney

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "In the Heat of the Night"  Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger, Lee Grant, Beah Richards    Wonderfully showy part for Sidney Poitier as a savvy, intuitive big city cop, solving a murder in a sleepy, less-than-hospitable town.  Poitier maintains a taut composure only occasionally broken by the inchoate rage he keeps tightly leashed.  Rod Steiger, complex and richly colorful as the ambivalent sheriff.  I love both Lee Grant and Beah Richards-- only wish both had more to do in this movie, but it's Poitier's and Steiger's show, for sure!

Oscar Best Picture winner;  Best Actor Oscar for Rod Steiger  

Trusted Contributor

Re: TRIO OF GREAT AMERICAN FILMS SATURDAY 9:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

I caught "Young Mr. Lincoln" a year ago.  Being from Illinois, February 12 was Lincoln's Birthday, and a state holiday all the time I was in school.  The majority of the movie takes place while Lincoln was in Illinois. 

The amazing thing is that Henry Fonda does not look like Henry Fonda in this movie, at all!  But there is no disguising the distinctive voice!  I knew right away, "Hey! That's Henry Fonda!"

Honored Contributor

Having seen these three great movies I agree with your choices and comments.  This is all worth while movie watching, each story holds your attention through and through.  

I always liked Rod Steiger and regard him as one of the best actors of his time.  Aside from Heat of the Night, I loved his performance in the Pawnbroker.

What can I say that hasn't been said before about Yankee Doodle Dandy with the legend, James Cagney!  I remember watching it in the fifties with my sister on Million Dollar Movie and we have seen the movie many many times since.  We know all the songs and words and every 4th of July when the movie is shown, I sing along and love it! 

For those who watch these three movies or even one of them, you won't be disappointed! 

Thanks, Oznell, terrific picks.

Valued Contributor

"Yankee Doodle Dandy" with James Cagney is a gem. I'll bet he had fun making that movie after having played so many gangster roles in the 1930's - he looked like he was enjoying himself during the movie. In the scene with Eddie Foy, it looked like Jimmy Cagney was really laughing at Eddie Foy (and not the character he was playing). Great tap dancing sequence when he was coming down the White House stairs at the end of the movie - supposedly it was ad-libbed.

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose wrote:

I'll bet he had fun making that movie after having played so many gangster roles in the 1930's

James Cagney started out in the movies & Broadway as a "dance man."  Gangster roles came much later.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif