Honored Contributor

TOTAL NOSTALGIC FAMILY FUN DOUBLE FEATURE! SUNDAY 5:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

5:30 p.m. Eastern--  "That's Entertainment"   Fred Astaire, Frank Sinatra, Elizabeth Taylor, Donald O'Connor, Liza Minelli, et al.

Super-fabulous 50th anniversary compilation of memorable scenes from MGM musicals.   Written and produced under the sure hand of Jack Haley Jr., (Mr. Liza Minelli at the time, I believe).

You cannot have a bad time watching this-- all that assembled talent is mesmerizing.  "La Liz" introduces her segment and almost smites us with her ripe beauty- those blue-gray-violet eyes, oh my goodness!

AND,  my favorite part, adorable, darling, brilliant, insouciant Fred Astaire narrates...

Who's your favorite from "That's Entertainment" or its several sequels?

Then:

8:00 p.m. Eastern--   "Here Come the Nelsons"   Ozzie, Harriet, David and Rick(y) Nelson

Musician and band leader Ozzie Nelson, and his beautiful singer-wife, Harriet Hilliard (Nelson) had a whole second career as a laid-back, cute family on TV, with sons David and Ricky..  This is a feature length version.

I think I caught the show in reruns, but immediately loved this almost comically gentle, low-key couple and cute Dave and Ricky.  They're a classic!   Also love their charmingly homey post-war house....

A tranquil double feature for sure! 

Honored Contributor

Re: TOTAL NOSTALGIC FAMILY FUN DOUBLE FEATURE! SUNDAY 5:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Both beckon big-time, oznell!

Thank you!

Yes, that's entertainment.

Who is my favorite?  Esther Williams.  I know she appeared in one or two of these MGM spectacular showcases of talent.

If you recall, I badgered that dear woman all through my elementary school years.  I truly do not remember how many times I wrote to her at MGM Studios in Culver City, Calif.   My parents had to have wondered whose child I was sometimes.   

Super Contributor

Thanks @Oznell 

I'll have to live vicariously through your posts for the time being. I was caught up in the Comcast vs TCM mess. I was already paying extra to receive TCM, but will now have to pay an additional $10 a month to continue receiving it. I've decided to wait and see if they reverse their decision of forcing subscribers to subscribe to the Sports Channels in order to get TCM.

Fortunately they didn't take away the TCM movies already saved on DVR. I have a years worth saved.

Honored Contributor

OH NO!

Oznell, I enjoy watching That's Entertainment no matter how many times it is on. Just to see the introductions and the people that are no longer with us. And the old clips from movies too. 

And I doubt I ever saw Here Come the Nelson's. I know I saw the show when Ricky and David were older.

My son came home from work, asked me if I wanted to go to AFI Theatre on Sunday. So we are going tomorrow. Just in time to miss That's Entertainment.

Figures, hopefully That's Entertainment and Here Comes the Nelson's is on Watch TCM.

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's right, @golding76,  you are an Esther Williams devotee.  What a wonderful sense of humor she had.  I really like that film she made where she was a swim instructor /phys ed teacher, being menaced by a student and also a very creepy parent, Edward Andrews I think.  Esther could handle herself very well in drama as well as "froth".

@lil spot,  I had no idea you also were getting this terrible treatment over TCM--  major bummer.  Esp. since you are such a faithful vintage film fan.  Please keep us posted as to what happens.  If you can stand watching movies on the computer, you can always google "Forties' films on youtube" or something similar, and get free streaming of lots of classics.  I know it isn't the same though.  Hang in there and don't stop coming to movie threads, pal!

Terrific, @drizzellla!   Safe travels, and enjoy it to the hilt.  Memorize everything Eddie says or does (just kidding, ha).

Honored Contributor

Oznell - EXCELLENT thought!

I will take notes. I have a small note pad that will work out. Thank you so much for suggesting it before I went. 

Honored Contributor

That's entertainment is an enjoyable fun escape.  I have seen it and the sequels several times and do not tire of seeing this type of movie.  I love Gene Kelly's segment in Singing in the Rain, his singing and dancing, I love Frank Sinatra doing his routines but especially love his songs, Debbie Reynolds is fun and easy to watch, Esther Williams swimming feats are lovely and of course Judy Garland, there were many others and in general I am entertained by  them all!!!  

My sister and I watched Ozzie and Harriet's show on TV when we were young and loved it!  We especially enjoyed Ricky Nelson and his music, we had his records.  He passed away at a young age in a  plane crash, it was such a loss for us, his fans. He was part of our musical youth among so many other talents.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, it's Elizabeth Taylor's turn to narrate in "That's Entertainment".   So beautiful in that sparkly blue dress!