Honored Contributor

TOP-NOTCH SUSPENSE SATURDAY TCM 6:15 A.M. EASTERN ONWARDS!

[ Edited ]

TCM has given us rather skimpy fare recently, then slams us with a full day (up till prime time) of mystery and noir classics, one right after another.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=CST&sdate=2019-02-02

Have seen each of these multiple times, of course.  Am annoyed they are front-loading "Sudden Fear" (one of the least known) at 6:15 a.m.  It's one of Joan's best thrillers ever, and a must-see if you haven't already.

6:15 a.m. Eastern-- "Sudden Fear"--   Joan Crawford, Jack Palance, Gloria Grahame, Bruce Bennett    Wealthy playwright (Joan) is swept off her feet by an actor (Palance) with dark plans and his own covert gal pal, sinister, slinky Gloria Grahame.

Then there's the brilliant "The Third Man",  and on and on, winding up with clever Audrey outwitting diabolical Alan Arkin in "Wait Until Dark" at 6:00 p.m. Eastern....

If Saturday's a "snow day" or lazy day for you, you've lots to choose from!

Honored Contributor

Re: TOP-NOTCH SUSPENSE SATURDAY TCM 6:15 A.M. EASTERN ONWARDS!

Not sure if I have thanked you @Oznell before but I look daily for your posts. Your synopsis of some of my favorite films adds quite a bit of joy to my day. It makes reading this forum uplifting...

Thanks again....Heart

Honored Contributor

Ahhh, @Trinity11, what a dear-- thank you!

Honored Contributor

Oh No - 6:15 AM on a Saturday?!?!?!

Hope it is on Watch TCM. I know I will miss the beginning. But once again Thanks, Oznell for being on top of things. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Keep forgetting mentioning: Netflix and Amazon Prime. Discovered large library  of classic films. Worth checking out.  Have a wonderful weekend! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell

So glad I caught Sudden Fear when it was on last on TCM since for me (still without DVR capability) it's on at a staggering 3:15 a.m.

I loved the San Francisco setting.

I found a site describing the locations for this one,

https://www.movie-locations.com/movies/s/Sudden-Fear.php

and I found, happily, that one location was one I had just visited myself last weekend: the Legion of Honor where the Jewels of the Maharajah exhibit is now being presented.  (If anyone is interested, I posted a thread in Jewelry. I know oznell found it.)

Sudden Fear location: Palace of the Legion of Honor, Lincoln Park, San Francisco

Image result for sudden fear movie san franciscoThis building on Scott Street in SF was Crawford's home and the site says it's now the Indonesian Consulate.

Photos from movie-locations.com

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Wow, what great digging to find all those locations, @GingerPeach!  One of the many pleasures of the film is the whirlwind tour of San Francisco that Joan gives to her new love-- so you get to see a bit of precious "old" S. F.

Not surprised that that fabulous house she lived in is the Indonesian consulate-- such a huge and elaborate setting is perfect for the rather implausible multimillionairess-playwright-playgirl Joan so blithely portrayed, no?

Honored Contributor

"It's one of Joan's best thrillers ever, and a must-see if you haven't already."

Absolutely!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Sudden Fear is incredible.

Not being a huge Crawford fan (don't hate me), I don't think I've ever seen it but it certainly is my genre.    Saying I loved this movie is an understatement.   I don't think I blinked.

I do think I breathed.    Barely

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @software-- there's so much going on in that film!  I love the way the director used mirrors in it-- at various crucial points, you're seeing the action in a mirror, or with a character looking in a mirror to see something they wouldn't normally....

That's just one tiny example of what makes it so much fun to watch...