Honored Contributor

I’m noticing way too many reality/competition tv shows pitting contestants against each other. The Bachelor, Dancing with the Stars, Naked and Afraid, all the cooking channel challenges, etc. 

What’s behind this “new” tv format and what does it say about our culture?

Honored Contributor

Re: TOO MANY COMPETITION SHOWS

Yeah, I noticed this awhile back too.  Does it mean, too much time on their hands?  Or new reality.  Everything is now a contest.

Honored Contributor

Relatively cheap to produce?

Honored Contributor

It started years ago and we just get more and more.  The networks produce them because people watch them, people like them and also they are much cheaper to produce than real programming.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I’m noticing way too many reality/competition tv shows pitting contestants against each other. The Bachelor, Dancing with the Stars, Naked and Afraid, all the cooking channel challenges, etc. 

What’s behind this “new” tv format and what does it say about our culture?

IDK, I've never seen any of them. I'm not interested.

Esteemed Contributor

Seems everything goes in cycles.  There were Westerns growing up, then tons of comedy shows now competition/reality  Am sure something will be coming along soon to replace them.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

We used to watch Password, What's My Line, Let's Make A Deal (MH), Match Game?

Honored Contributor

Well, let's see, they're easy to put on the air (no writing required, throw some money at people, everyone's jumping around, laughing and bla bla).

They aren't entertaining.  I do enjoy the Price is Right and watching Wayne Brady.  I don't watch other game shows much.  I used to enjoy Family Feud but it gets old.

Anyway, there are a lot of them.  I like action shows.  It's true, they do run in cycles.