Honored Contributor

maxresdefault.jpg

After all the Tom Jones talk here the other day, I have to drag out my favorite duet he did on the Tom Jones Show in 1969.  Of all the duets he's done, the greats with Wilson Pickett, Janis Joplin, Joe Cocker, etc., this is my favorite.

First, he's clearly thrilled to have THE Stevie Wonder on his show.  And their styles are so complementary--  Stevie with his youthful, unstoppable, stentorian vocal brilliance, and Tom with his fabulous and unique combination of silk and earthiness.  It's essential to go to full screen to watch these two blow the roof off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Cl4xuFCJg&list=RDE9Cl4xuFCJg&start_radio=1&t=0

Watch for their little inside joke.  Clearly, Stevie is a great mimic, and he teases by sneaking in a tiny bit of Tom's delivery into their performance of "It's Not Unusual".  You could easily miss it, but you can see Tom laughing and enjoying it.

It must have been a long running thing between them, because in this much later, 40 second clip, Stevie again (but more pronouncedly) gently spoofs the Welshman's accent and style in "It's Not Unusual".   Tom loves it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_98VpAKdns

Esteemed Contributor

Re: TOM JONES AND STEVIE WONDER

yes, watched his show and never missed it! Had a Tom Jones album that was well played. 

Respected Contributor

I must have missed the original posting about Tom Jones.  There are many youTube vidoes of him and one is of Steve Wonder wishing him a Happy 80th Birthday while Jones was on the Voice UK. 

The Voice UK has a lot of clips of the coaches singing together. Pretty clear the younger coaches have a great deal of respect for him. 

Honored Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

I must have missed the original posting about Tom Jones.  There are many youTube vidoes of him and one is of Steve Wonder wishing him a Happy 80th Birthday while Jones was on the Voice UK. 

The Voice UK has a lot of clips of the coaches singing together. Pretty clear the younger coaches have a great deal of respect for him. 

@cindyNC  I think The Voice UK is better than American version. I've heard Tom singing on it and he's still just as good if not better than ever.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   Thank you for posting this.  I look forward to watching it later today.  I watch a lot of Tom Jones on The Voice UK.  He sings "It's Not Unusual" when prompted by one of the other judges, and his voice is still amazing.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

So glad I didn't pass over this post @Oznell .  How much fun was that?  Two incredible talents.  It was a joy to watch.  

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you didn't pass over it too, @Citrine1 .   Such a mood booster.   Your word, "joy", is apt for me too!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  - thanks for posting these clips - I enjoyed them!!

Esteemed Contributor

Two stars who remain stars 50 years later!!!

I actually think Tom Jones is better today than he was back then. He's still HOT and still sings beautifully. 80 years old and he's still got it!!! Check him out on The Voice. Look at how Jennifer Hudson is wild about him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIJpPJPrqw8

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the clips!  Tom was my babysitter when I was a toddler.  Every Friday night my father went out with the guys.  As he was getting ready, my mother would be out picking my aunt up from dancing school so my father would plop me in my playpen and turn on the Tom Jones show.  I would sit mesmerized while my father showered, shaved and did whatever else he had to do to get ready. I loved me some Tom Jones then and still do now.