Super Contributor

TODAY Success; Talk Show Failure - Can Meredith Vieira Prevail?

Remember the "Seinfeld Curse"? All the stars of that highly successful sitcom went down in flames later when they fronted their own shows, except for Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Similarly, apparently advertisers are hoping that former Today anchor and The View panelist Meredith Vieira will succeed where her predecessors have failed: transitioning from a multi-participant format to a talk show helmed by a solo host.

Kate Couric lasted just two seasons; Jane Pauley only one.

The Meredith Vieira Show launched last Monday and it'll take a miracle for it to stay on the air for even half of one season. While she was well-liked in her previous roles, the critics weren't generous in their reviews of her new daytime chatfest.

Newsday 5 days ago
Vieira's new show: a swamp of saccharine and good vibes and real down-home-just-like-you-and-me baloney.

'The Meredith Vieira Show': TV review - NY Daily News
www.nydailynews.com/.../meredith-vieira-show-tv-review-art
Daily News
5 days ago - Meredith Vieira's daytime show started off Monday as a good-natured jumble.

Meredith Vieira's new talk show aims for comfort - USA Today
www.usatoday.com/story/life/.../meredith-vieira.../15136981/

7 days ago - NEW YORK—Meredith Vieira wants to feel comfortable on the set of her
new daytime talk ... So she's decorated her set with a worn-out chair from her
Westechester. ... She has a five-member band, unusual in daytime. ...
Rich Sirop because "I didn't want somebody imposing what other talk shows do on me.

In most markets, Vieira inherited the coveted timeslot vacated by the Couric cancellation. Here in Metro Atlanta, Dr. Oz got the treasured 3 PM berth, while Vieira's talker was consigned to 2:07 AM; hardly a ringing endorsement guaranteed to garner big numbers.

I forced myself to watch the debut, painful though it was. In what seemed like a mission statement, Vieira proudly proclaimed that the show would incorporate "a little bit of everything" that she'd done and experienced in her 40-year broadcasting career. Nice concept, but did she have to squeeze it all into the first 15 minutes of the very first show? There was everything but the kitchen sink as she crammed in: highlights of multiple Broadway musicals; two insipid audience participation games; celebrity gossip with Jennifer Lopez; "car-aoke" - a vehicular sing-along with J-Lo and Hoda Kotb; family videos and "surprises," plus a warm and fuzzy segment on kids with physical challenges fulfilling their dreams of dancing at Lincoln Center.

Phew! It was exhausting just watching all that. I had to force myself to stay awake. It's not a good sign when you're constantly looking at the clock and wondering "why isn't it over yet?"

From the tacky set, complete with a ratty old armchair that Vieira said came from her own home (picture the atrocious, lumpy Lazy Boy that Martin Crane plunked down in the middle of Frasier's beautiful apartment) to wardrobe ("mom jeans" paired with a "designer blazer" that looked like someone had mugged Captain Crunch), this was a snooze-fest from start to finish. Comfortable is not the same as bland. Vieira looked uncomfortable and ill-at-ease; as if seeking an escape. Trust me, she wasn't alone in that desire.

It was one and done for me, especially after reading the descriptions of shows for the remainder of the week. Just as some cable networks once had a "Disease of the Week" movie, Vieira's eponymous talk show featured a Disability/Dysfunction of the Day. Way too depressing! The only advantage is that at 2:07 AM, The Meredith Vieira Show is an inexpensive, non-addictive cure for insomnia.

Have you seen The Meredith Vieira Show? What do you think of it?

Honored Contributor

Re: TODAY Success; Talk Show Failure - Can Meredith Vieira Prevail?

I really like the show. The set was so homey. She is so funny and down to earth. I don't think there will be all the stupid hoopla and gossipy sensationalism that is on all the other talk shows. The debut show was excellent and getting to see her family and their stories about her was the selling point for me to stay and watch the rest of it and want to watch the next day. If you want gossip about celebrities and loud talking nonsense then it's probably not for you but if you are sick and tired of all the sensationalism on talk shows and just want to calmly enjoy great fun and touching stories then it's the best!!!

Super Contributor

This show does not hold my interest. Gave up watching it after 2 episodes.
Honored Contributor

I like it. It reminds me of Bonnie Hunt's show.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I watched a couple times. I don't think it is very good. On the other hand I love the steve harvey show. He is hilarious. And histopics for the show fit right into what a woman wants to watch.
Honored Contributor

Good grief, do we really NEED more talk shows??? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I didn't see Meredith's show yet, so no comment .... but if Katie Couric couldn't make it, well, it doesn't look good for Meredith! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Valued Contributor

On 9/14/2014 gardenman said: I like it. It reminds me of Bonnie Hunt's show.

I haven't seen Meredith's show yet but I still miss Bonnie Hunt's show.

I think Meredith is on at 10AM in my area. Maybe on The CW or a different local channel. I know she's not on a major network.

Trusted Contributor

I tried to like it; I like Meredith.... I just couldn't... and I don't like Steve Harvey either. he comes off, to me, like he thinks too highly of himself.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Meredith, but her show is a waste of time, even on the treadmill. Don,t like Harvey . Tired of these silly suc### up shows. I want to watch something intelligent like Kathy,s show. She had a decent show where you could learn something and she was pleasant, people just didn,t like her. Take Queen Lativa and the stupid shows off the air and give us shows with good info. Walking on the treadmill is boring enough. I do like WW, she tells it like it is
Honored Contributor

Most of these shows fail, with the exception of Ellen! I don't understand why these folks think they are so "special" that they need to have their own show!

I occasionally watch Wendy Williams, only because of the gossip, LOL!