Super Contributor

Re: TO COMCAST/ INFINITY Cable SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

@Diamonds22 I moved in November and when I called to get service set up I was very very surprised the rep just volunteered this information.   I would never consider doing this with the cable boxes but he gave me the exact model # for the modem.   I checked at Best Buy and it was about  $175 and they will service them if necessary.   It is the exact same modem.  I have all Xfinity/Comcast equipment and am happy I decided against buying anything at this point.   I had massive problems after the install mainly with the cable boxes which were brand new but wouldn't recognize Xfinity so the only way I was able to watch TV was to stream Xfinity for 48 days. They finally replaced everything and no problems since then thankfully. 

Super Contributor

@SugarPuff wrote:

@Diamonds22 I moved in November and when I called to get service set up I was very very surprised the rep just volunteered this information.   I would never consider doing this with the cable boxes but he gave me the exact model # for the modem.   I checked at Best Buy and it was about  $175 and they will service them if necessary.   It is the exact same modem.  I have all Xfinity/Comcast equipment and am happy I decided against buying anything at this point.   I had massive problems after the install mainly with the cable boxes which were brand new but wouldn't recognize Xfinity so the only way I was able to watch TV was to stream Xfinity for 48 days. They finally replaced everything and no problems since then thankfully. 

Thanks for the info. I too am afraid to buy by own due to what you said as I have had problems before with their equipment. I would call them & they would fix the problem or I would get replacement of the failed equipment with no charge.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden I purchased at BBuy.  The sales associate was great, understood exactly what I needed.  Told them Comcast and voila, there they were. 

THey are simple to set up.  Plug and play--couldn't be easier. 

Trusted Contributor

@SugarPuff Best buy sales clerks know exactly what you need and how to set them up.  Save big $$

Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

@SeaMaiden I purchased at BBuy.  The sales associate was great, understood exactly what I needed.  Told them Comcast and voila, there they were. 

THey are simple to set up.  Plug and play--couldn't be easier. 

@Jtdmum     If it  does not work or you have an issue with it, then what?  Over the years of renting I have had set boxes break down in some way.. comcast gives me a new one right away. Also, can you give me an idea of cost for a HD set box? 

Thanks so much for answering!

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden my small boxes were $60.  My "big box" was about 120.  They are under warranty for a year, have had mine longer.  So far so good.  At rental cost they pay for themselves in a year so I'm saving the better part of $30 monthly.    It was a no brainer decision for me - I'm pretty good with technical issues so that helps too. 

Honored Contributor

Yes,  mine went up by $12.  We do have a lot of movie channels and wifi.  I didn't search through the bill to see what went up.  I just accepted the increase and paid it.  This is just what Comcast does.  One of their customer service reps told that I should call about once a year to inquire about a price break.  I was speaking to her about a connection problem and I mentioned the high cost and she gave me a new customer package that gave me another movie channel and was $30 cheaper.  That was over a year ago.   As for all my other bills, yes the all go up.  Everything goes up.  Life always gets more expensive.  The problem now is that salaries aren't going up.  That 3% yearly performance increase doesn't cover the increase in all our bills.  

Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

@SeaMaiden my small boxes were $60.  My "big box" was about 120.  They are under warranty for a year, have had mine longer.  So far so good.  At rental cost they pay for themselves in a year so I'm saving the better part of $30 monthly.    It was a no brainer decision for me - I'm pretty good with technical issues so that helps too. 

@Jtdmum thanks for sharing this. I will have to consider.