Honored Contributor

Re: TINA TURNER DOCUMENTARY TONIGHT HBO

I watched this morning.  I learned some things that I didn't know (or if I did, I've forgotten) about her life.

I didn't know about her mother, and then father, just splitting on the kids and they never came back.   Down the road, in the show, there was a little bit of stills and video with her mother and I sure could see that dead, no love, look that I recognized so well from my so-called mother.   Trust me, it sukks when your own mother doesn't love you.  It creates a HUGE hole that you continue to live with for decades to come.

I don't remember knowing that one of Tina's kids had died.  Smiley Sad

It was interesting when she was talking about, after being divorced and going out on her own career, people kept asking questions about Ike and how that impacted her.

I have really loved that she found a great husband and partner in life who has contributed to her happiness.  I love that, after Ike, she found in herself the ability to be happy and move past it, opening the door to being happy again.

Honored Contributor

I will have more comments later when I have more time to write, but I will say for now, Oprah didn't add a darn thing IMO. I don't know why she was even called upon to comment. I don't need nor appreciate her input on just about everything. 

Esteemed Contributor

I really enjoyed it and I will probably watch it again....

Trusted Contributor

I also really enjoyed the show.  I regret I never saw her in concert.  She had a difficult life and is a survivor.  I am glad to see she found peace and love with her current husband.  Oprah must have been a good friend,  she was at her wedding. 

Honored Contributor

One of my favorites movies was "What's Love Got to do With it".  Angela Basset did a SPOT-ON job playing Tina.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

One of my favorites movies was "What's Love Got to do With it".  Angela Basset did a SPOT-ON job playing Tina.

@SurferWife  I agree. And after watching the doc last night I thought the movie was very true to what really happened, especially how she escaped Ike and her meeting Ike.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched the documentary last night.  When I first saw What;s love got to do with it many years ago; Angela Basset did a fantastic portrayal of Tina and Lawrence Fishburne as Ike...oh my goodness that was a wow moment for me.  After watching the documentary it's an even bigger wow moment for me.  Her perseverance, strength, beauty inside and out and her energy is/was incredible.  I forgot about the Tina play on Broadway which I did not get to see but God bless her at 81!

Valued Contributor

I just watched this new documentary & thoroughly enjoyed it. Insightful: how difficult for her to constantly talk about the ex and abuse- and yet, she is an icon partly because of her survivorship & success despite those negative events. So happy for with "newer" love and a beautiful, peaceful home in Europe.
Trusted Contributor

She is fabulous!!!!!