Honored Contributor

Re: THURSDAY IS ROD STEIGER DAY ON TCM

Wow, I'd forgotten that, @spiderw --  how neat that in addition to his other talents, Steiger could sing too!

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely had NOT seen this one ( Knife), but what a POWERHOUSE line up  of the best that I can name in one movie. DYNAMIC !!!

@Oznell 

My husband believe and is very correct, Ida Lupino is one, if not the best female actress /director he never misses. if he know nothing, he knows women. if we can keep Sashay not bouncing around with something so very different in her little calm protected world, then just maybe we can watch...if husband is not needed to run the fort at work. What was TCM thinking-------------- this is GOLD!

Would /could DV it but not set up and no equipment readily available. 

Again, no HAVE not seen this, 

Esteemed Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

The Pawnbroker was such a superb role for Steiger and he deserved an Oscar.  Of course On the Waterfront and In the Heat of the Night were also great acting roles for him.  He definitely rates a TCM day and was one of the best in the movies.  I also thought his role in Oklahoma was a change of pace and while he played the bad guy he also sang.  

@spiderw 

Pawnbroker, 

Pure and simple- an  Oscar  MOVIE !

Cheers and more 5 stars

@Oznell , 

I read back my KNIFE trailer post. I tried to type so quickly , shore nuff ~

hahaaaaaa made this look like a 3rd grader was scribbling through. But! .............believe you felt the excitement- of chance that I wanted to see this.

I am buying this one.

".............Not many movies that you will hear me BINGO that,  AND mess up a total of all paragraphs".......... 

great movie...I know.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   A synopsis of No Way to Treat a Lady.  Lee Remick stars also, and Eileen is wonderful.

"Psychopathic serial killer Christopher Gill (Rod Steiger) is obsessed with his late mother, and he targets victims who remind him of her. He dons various disguises to gain his victims' trust and always leaves his calling card, a red lipstick mark, when he's done. Christopher begins deliberately tipping off detective Morris Brummel (George Segal) on the phone, drawing the detective -- who has issues with his own overbearing mother (Eileen Heckart) -- into a game of cat and mouse."

Honored Contributor

@NAES1, your hubs' faultless movie discernment strikes again-- Lupino is just the best!

@mousiegirl, I'd read a synopsis of "No Way to Treat a Lady" once.  It never made it sound as good as yours did!  I bet Steiger had a blast with that role!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@NAES1, your hubs' faultless movie discernment strikes again-- Lupino is just the best!

@mousiegirl, I'd read a synopsis of "No Way to Treat a Lady" once.  It never made it sound as good as yours did!  I bet Steiger had a blast with that role!

@Oznell   I googled the synopsis, not mine, but it is a good movie.  Here is the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uivCJAPhjQ

Honored Contributor

Whoa, Steiger at his most chilling!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Late to see this, but if you are a Rod S. fan, you must see an oddball film, "The Illustrated Man."

I saw it in a trilogy of Ray Bradbury stories many, many years back.  I will have to see if it is still around.

Very strange and slightly depressing movie, but I watched it through.  Got medicore to bad reviews.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for tip, @Witchy Woman-- I seem to remember vaguely a review of that and a mention of him being tatooed in it, (unless I'm confusing it with something else...)

Trusted Contributor

Rod Steiger is in my top five for alltime best male actors.

I didn't see "The Loved One" discussed here, unless I missed it. I watched it yesterday, even though it is on my  "most disturbing" list of movies.

I have  trouble with watching black comedy movies. This genre effects my psyche way more than a flat out drama.