Honored Contributor

THIS weekend: FREE "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" stream

[ Edited ]

Amazon to Stream ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ for Free in Honor of Golden Globes Wins

Variety.com    January11.2018

“Marvelous” news from Amazon.

The streaming giant announced Thursday that “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” will be available to stream at no cost starting Friday, January 12 at 12:01am local time and concluding at 11:59pm local time Monday, January 15, using the Prime Video app for TVs, connected devices including the Fire TV and mobile devices, and online.

The move comes after the series won two Golden Globe awards for its freshman season: one for Best Musical or Comedy TV Series and another for series star Rachel Brosnahan, who won the award for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy TV Series

“Big kudos and congrats to Rachel for her first Golden Globe and to Amy for an outstanding first season,” said Greg Hart, vice president of Prime Video. “We are excited for new viewers to join in the celebration and stream the series for free this weekend.”

Brosnahan stars as Miriam “Midge” Maisel, a 1958 New York City woman who has everything she’s ever wanted—the perfect husband, two kids and an elegant Upper West Side apartment. But when her perfect life begins to fall apart, she inadvertently discovers that she has an uncanny knack for stand up comedy. The series also stars Alex Borstein, Tony Shalhoub, Michael Zegen, and Marin Hinkle.

It was created by “Gilmore Girls” creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and executive produced, written and directed by Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino. The series received an order for two seasons when it was first ordered at Amazon.

Super Contributor

Re: THIS weekend: FREE "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" stream

Thank you for the heads up, I'll definitely be watching.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Amazon to Stream ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ for Free in Honor of Golden Globes Wins

Variety.com    January11.2018

“Marvelous” news from Amazon.

The streaming giant announced Thursday that “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” will be available to stream at no cost starting Friday, January 12 at 12:01am local time and concluding at 11:59pm local time Monday, January 15, using the Prime Video app for TVs, connected devices including the Fire TV and mobile devices, and online.

The move comes after the series won two Golden Globe awards for its freshman season: one for Best Musical or Comedy TV Series and another for series star Rachel Brosnahan, who won the award for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy TV Series

“Big kudos and congrats to Rachel for her first Golden Globe and to Amy for an outstanding first season,” said Greg Hart, vice president of Prime Video. “We are excited for new viewers to join in the celebration and stream the series for free this weekend.”

Brosnahan stars as Miriam “Midge” Maisel, a 1958 New York City woman who has everything she’s ever wanted—the perfect husband, two kids and an elegant Upper West Side apartment. But when her perfect life begins to fall apart, she inadvertently discovers that she has an uncanny knack for stand up comedy. The series also stars Alex Borstein, Tony Shalhoub, Michael Zegen, and Marin Hinkle.

It was created by “Gilmore Girls” creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and executive produced, written and directed by Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino. The series received an order for two seasons when it was first ordered at Amazon.

I already watched it and loved it! That is very nice of Amazon, the only thing is there are 8 episodes, so you better binge this weekend!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tell you, I have to step back and admire the acumen for enterprise of Jeff Bezos and Amazon.

Offer free streaming of Mrs. Maisel, get the viewers hooked on the promising series and then they must sign up for Amazon Prime to continue watching Midge Maisel making her her new path in life.

$100 a head! 

Honored Contributor

some of this

Image result for wine gif glass

and a bit of this

Image result for gif cat popcorn

will enhance your viewing experience   ;-)

Respected Contributor

Is this series based on anyone in real life?

Is the character that Jane Lynch played based partly on sophie tucker or anybody?   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

lovescats,

In answer to your question, click on link.  SPOILER ALERT:  Show storyline revealed in link info.

Just think of Phyllis Diller, Moms Mabley and QVC's own Joan Rivers for a thought on your question.  The link brings the thought clearly home.  Joan dressed well and fashionably, but she had to assume a rough and vulgar persona -- often -- in her stage act to succeed.

https://www.bustle.com/p/is-sophie-lennon-a-real-comedian-jane-lynchs-marvelous-mrs-maisel-cameo-hig...

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

lovescats,

In answer to your question, click on link.  SPOILER ALERT:  Show storyline revealed in link info.

Just think of Phyllis Diller, Moms Mabley and QVC's own Joan Rivers for a thought on your question.  The link brings the thought clearly home.  Joan dressed well and fashionably, but she had to assume a rough and vulgar persona -- often -- in her stage act to succeed.

https://www.bustle.com/p/is-sophie-lennon-a-real-comedian-jane-lynchs-marvelous-mrs-maisel-cameo-hig...

I read that article and I don't remember Sophie Tucker only her name and I don't think the person who wrote that remembers Sophie Tucker either  but I don't think her character (Sophie Lennon) exactly fits Joan Rivers either because the Mrs. Maisel character would be more of the age of Joan Rivers starting out.  But when I first watched the first show the first person I was reminded of was Woody Allen like the show was based on a female Woody Allen. Sophie Lennon is a lot older than Mrs. Maisel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From the start, I likened Midge Maisel't foray into comedy as similar to what Joan Rivers must have experienced, lovescats.   Was that on another thread?  I think so.

My opinion is that there is no ONE person that Jane Lynch's character is based on.  Rather, she is a composite representative for all the female comedians who had to "masculinize" their act or present themselves in a hideous, sexually unappealing way to be taken seriously.  This continues until today, I believe.

Trusted Contributor

I binged on this last weekend and I give it 

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart out of 5.

Rachel Brosnahan has a long successful acting career ahead of her. She is captivating. I like that it throws in a few actual comic characters and backstories, too (Lenny Bruce). The best part, IMO, is the vintage recreation of EVERYTHING, wow, it is outstanding and boy, am I old Woman Indifferent.

dee