Honored Contributor

'THE TAMING OF THE SHREW" ELIZABETH TAYLOR RICHARD BURTON WEDNESDAY 9:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Wednesday, 9:30 a.m. Eastern--  "The Taming of the Shrew"  Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Michael York, Cyril Cusack, Natasha Pyne

Rollicking, colorful depiction of Shakespeare's tale of an "untamable" woman, Katharina (Taylor), that an audacious Petruchio (Richard Burton)  decides to court.  Katharine's younger, more popular sister Bianca cannot be wed until her spitfire older sister is in the matrimonial fold, so there is some urgency!

Directed by brilliant Franco Zefirelli, ("Romeo and Juliet"), this "Liz-and-D i c k" outing received quite good notices by critics, and is a visual feast.  Academy award nominations for costume design and art direction.  Gowns and jewels-- perfection.

Fun fact:  Wiki says the actors originally set for the roles were Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni-- that would have been a fun version as well!

Can't imagine why TCM would schedule this for a morning showing, but still, it's a fun, upbeat treat, great to record for the holidays.

Respected Contributor

Re: 'THE TAMING OF THE SHREW" ELIZABETH TAYLOR RICHARD BURTON WEDNESDAY 9:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell  great to know this!  i haven't seen in years.  Taylor/Burton = a fiery pairing, as we know.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'THE TAMING OF THE SHREW" ELIZABETH TAYLOR RICHARD BURTON WEDNESDAY 9:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Classic Hollywood epic! Set my DVR. Thanks @Oznell 

Esteemed Contributor

To be honest, I never cared for any of the Burton/Taylor pairings save for "Virginia Woolf".  I think that Liz made some poor career choices during that marriage in terms of the work she did.

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's very interesting, @Johnnyeager -- I think many would agree with you.  Critics have also long lamented that Burton's career, in terms of the "ambitiousness" (is that a word) of the roles he assayed, declined during his marriage to Elizabeth.  They felt his early promise was dissipated in trivialities and bloated vanity projects.

For some reason, I didn't really like them in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf".   Props to Elizabeth for allowing herself to be cast against type, but I didn't feel the performance was up to the "hype"-- she somehow had the stridency of the role, but lacked the humanity, maybe.  But I could be wrong, am not remembering it that well. 

I'm glad there was a part for Sandy Dennis in it though-- she was in too few films!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're familiar with Anne of the Thousand Days, one of Burton's finer late performances, there is a story that Liz actually appears as an extra in one of the crowd scenes.  I've seen the movie many times but have never spotted her.

She was criticized in the press for the stunt, because she took a spot (and a costume) from some extra!

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @Johnnyeager, that sounds like her!  Maybe she felt she needed to keep a watchful eye on Burton on the set!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

I'll admit to being guilty of thinking Elizabeth Taylor is just magic on the screen.  Maybe some of her movies were awful, but I cannot help myself in being hynotized by her image.

I've not seen this one all the way through, so I'll try to catch it.

She and Burton were like pouring gasoline on a fire, but I love watching them together.

Another guilty pleasure Liz T/Richard B movie is The VIPs!

Esteemed Contributor

Set to tape thanks!

Honored Contributor

I agree with @Witchy Woman 

I could watch them do a dramatic reading of the phone book & be mesmerized!

You don't have to know about their personal life to feel the chemistry & passion jumping off the screen.