Honored Contributor

I enjoyed the second segment on Johnny Carson.  CNN does some good specials on the weekends. 

Honored Contributor

Re: THE STORY OF LATE NIGHT

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

I enjoyed the second segment on Johnny Carson.  CNN does some good specials on the weekends. 

The second segment was very good and showed 2 really interesting things:   (1) How The Tonight show during Allen, Paar, and Carson until 1967 had no late night competition, and (2) how Carson and the show were able to survive the "times they are a-changing" as exemplified by 1968.

I also really enjoyed the glimpses of the first shows that were competition.  I totally remember Merv Griffin's afternoon syndicated show but forgot he once had a late night show competing with Carson.

Honored Contributor

I noticed that any footage shown of David Letterman was from the distant past.  Guess he chose not to participate in any recent interviews.

Honored Contributor

I was interested when Johnny mentioned that people would think he was conceited and alouf when, in fact, he was just shy.    I've experienced that same thing, so it was cool to see that it wasn't just me.

I'm enjoying this series so far.  I only just started watching the current episode because I had to finish watching a Jaleel White interview from yesterday (it was awesome!).

I am another one who  loves these series that CNN does.   I've seen as many as possible on the decades and other tv-related series.

Honored Contributor

I am going to be sorry when this ends.  I have been watching it on-demand and really enjoying it.  

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1. Already a thread, just a few below your new one.

Frequent Contributor

I've enjoyed watching it so far.  Fun to see how late night all started and how it has evolved through the years. 

Janet in Georgia
Respected Contributor

Re: THE STORY OF LATE NIGHT

[ Edited ]

I'm enjoying it, too. But while I LOVED Johnny Carson and Letterman, I'm a bit surprised they're basically ignoring Stephen Colbert. 

Like Jimmy Kimmel's monologues, but I'm a Colbert fan all the way.

Maybe next week...

Denise