Super Contributor

THE REAL - New FOX Daytime Talk Show

After a highly successful summer trial run on seven FOX-owned stations in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Phoenix, Houston and Tampa, The Real, a new syndicated daytime talk show launched for real nationally on Monday.

It's the usual female-oriented format with five co-hosts: singer-actress Adrienne Bailon, stylist Jeannie Mai, comedian Loni Love, singer-reality star Tamar Braxton and actress Tamera Mowry-Housley; a multi-ethnic cast specifically assembled to go toe-to-toe in their luxurious Louboutins and designer duds with The View and The Talk. So often in the promos, they seem to stop themselves at the very last second from mentioning their competition by name, as they tout themselves as being younger, fresher and hotter.

They seem to be going for the gusto with celebrity guests and gossip, Twitter Dare games and designer handbag giveaways. While topics include parenting tips, motherhood challenges, sibling rivalry, much of their discussion centers on the men in their lives, the men who were once part of their lives, or the men of their dreams whom they wish would become part of their lives.

Overall, The Real is The View and The Talk for the next generation of younger women who honestly believe that there was a dearth of daytime talk shows available addressing them, their interests and their issues. The Real is real(ly) loud, real(ly) raucous and real(ly) uninhibited. There's a "can-you-top-this" attitude in a blatant effort to move the needle and push the envelope in terms of outrageousness. With lots of cross-talk, guffawing, double entendres, bad grammar, poor enunciation and virtually every sentence ending with "honey," "gurrhl" or "gurrhlfriend," there's no question about their target demo. This is a well-crafted, niche show for which there's an ample audience. Undoubtedly The Real will have a very long and profitable TV life, if they keep it fresh by replacing cast members as they "age out," just like Menudo.

Have you seen The Real? What's your opinion of it?

Honored Contributor

Re: THE REAL - New FOX Daytime Talk Show

The trial run was on last summer here, it was OK. I like Loni Love some of the others I can do without, I will check it out if I am home.

Looks as though The View is going less celeb, so there is room for something else.

Honored Contributor

On here at noon, will check it out.

Super Contributor

Badly done show. Hard to watch. Tamera Mowry looked like she regretted being on there.

Esteemed Contributor

I will have to check it out. I really like gamers and her sister. From what I read and watch they are great young women and good roll models.
Honored Contributor

Interesting that something like this is coming from a more conservative network. I don't know any of the principals, but I'll give it a try.
Respected Contributor

vapid

Honored Contributor

horrible!!!!

Valued Contributor

Saw some of it today (Fake It or Take It game and cooking segment). I am not the person this show was created for and I confirmed that today. They seem like nice women, I like Loni Love, and I wish them success.