Frequent Contributor

Running right now on TCM.

I live in Boca Raton, and am watching it.

How ironic.....

Honored Contributor

Re: THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY

[ Edited ]

If it's the original  with George Sanders (my sisters favorite) that's the best edition.

the follow ups not so much.

Just watched "A Kiss before dying' with Robert Wagner that was a really good movie. Wagner has always been gorgeous even now when he's in 80's still a nice looking older man.

Always had taste and class. I see the DVD is out of 'Hart to Hart' the TV movies that were made after the series was off the air and they made a few comeback movies. think it's a 8 movie DVD. 

Takes place when they're both long in the tooth and I think Max is dead by now and that awful dog too. Seems like I have a couple of the made for tv series movies on my whole collection of Hart to Hart. If I see it one day at Walmart I'll check it out, though.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE  Yes, the original 1945 version with George and Hurd Hatfield.  I share your sister's appreciation of Sanders.  He's given many fine performances, culminating of course in winning Best Supporting Oscar for his Addison DeWitt in "All About Eve".  

Robert Wagner is wonderfully creepy in "A Kiss Before Dying".  Very good-looking I agree, although in that film I have to say Jeffrey Hunter gives him some competition imo, lol.  Bob has aged very well.  He's sort of like George Hamilton in this regard, and both I think have been underrated as actors because they've always been regarded as mere "pretty boys".

Esteemed Contributor

I just watched it. I saw the film many years ago so much of it felt new to me. It was a superb film. All the actors were excellent and the story was chilling.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

If it's the original  with George Sanders (my sisters favorite) that's the best edition.

the follow ups not so much.

Just watched "A Kiss before dying' with Robert Wagner that was a really good movie. Wagner has always been gorgeous even now when he's in 80's still a nice looking older man.

Always had taste and class. I see the DVD is out of 'Hart to Hart' the TV movies that were made after the series was off the air and they made a few comeback movies. think it's a 8 movie DVD. 

Takes place when they're both long in the tooth and I think Max is dead by now and that awful dog too. Seems like I have a couple of the made for tv series movies on my whole collection of Hart to Hart. If I see it one day at Walmart I'll check it out, though.

Hart to Hart TV show is on FeTV M - F at 11 PM

Honored Contributor

A haunting, meticulous rendering of the chilling Oscar Wilde tale... that "dissipated friend" role that George Sanders played so perfectly-- seemed made for him!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian wrote:

I just watched it. I saw the film many years ago so much of it felt new to me. It was a superb film. All the actors were excellent and the story was chilling.

@Vivian  - "The Picture of Dorian Gray" or "A Kiss Before Dying"?  Both are effective in their own way.

:

Frequent Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

A haunting, meticulous rendering of the chilling Oscar Wilde tale... that "dissipated friend" role that George Sanders played so perfectly-- seemed made for him!

It certainly did.  Love him in "Rebecca" too. 

George also (and inexpicably) played a fair number of Nazi officers, although his German accent wasn't always so spot on, lol.

Frequent Contributor

And of course who can forget Angela Lansbury singing "Little Yellow Bird"....Studio bigwigs had problems trying to figure out exactly how to cast Angela throughout the 1940's as she registered older than her actual age and projected a more complex persona than the typical glamour or girl-next-door types.  She didn't fit into these categories but was actually more of a character actress even then.

As for Hurd Hatfield -- I'd much rather encounter his Dorian than the one that's threatening us in South Florida.....

Valued Contributor

LOL. Coincidence.Great movie.

Many people have the Dorian Gray syndrome  nowadays.

Think we are safe....I live in Weston!