Super Contributor

THE McCARTHYS: Cancel or Keep the New CBS Sitcom?

Some posters alluded to The McCarthys in the thread about the cancellation of The Millers. It appears that CBS was attempting to build some sort of family sitcom block. Unfortunately, this freshman series is in serious trouble due to anemic ratings and without improvement, cancellation is almost a certainty. - Keri

==================================================

tvseriesfinale.com Published: November 13, 2014

The McCarthys TV show canceled soon?

CBS recently unveiled their newest Thursday night sitcom — The McCarthys. How is doing? Is it a comedy hit or a flop? Will it last or could it be cancelled soon?

The McCarthys revolves around sports-crazed from Boston. Athletically-challenged and g~ay son Ronny (Tyler Ritter) plans to finally move away to start his own life. Those plans are thrown into turmoil when his basketball coach dad (Jack McGee) offers him a job as assistant coach — much to the dismay of Ronny’s siblings. The sitcom also stars Laurie Metcalf, Jimmy Dunn, Joey McIntyre, and Kelen Coleman.

The series debuted on October 30th to a 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 8.08 million viewers. Last week’s dropped to a 1.5 in the demo and 6.67 million.

While those might be acceptable numbers for a sitcom on NBC, they are disappointing for one on CBS — particularly on Thursday nights. The show’s poor ratings are also likely hurting Elementary which airs at 10pm.

After two episodes, The McCarthys is averaging a 1.6 rating with 7.38 million viewers. For comparisons, The Crazy Ones was cancelled last season after averaging a 2.1 rating with 8.32 million.

Unless the ratings pick up fast, it’s certain that The McCarthys will be cancelled after a short season of 13 episodes. Today, the network ordered two additional scripts, a sign they aren’t giving up on the series yet.

If the ratings keep dropping, it seems likely that the network will pull the series and replace it with reruns for the immediate future — and eventually replace it with Mike & Molly or another sitcom.

What do you think? Do you like The McCarthys? Do you think it should be cancelled soon or given more time?

=====================================================

Timing is everything - and this was a textbook case of very bad timing. - Keri

====================================================

HIMYM's Alyson Hannigan Returns to CBS, Books Holiday Guest Stint on The McCarthys

By Michael Ausiello / November 14 2014, 2:00 PM PST TVLine

65th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards - Arrivals

Here’s an early Christmas present for How I Met Your Mother fans: Alyson Hannigan is returning to CBS, albeit for one night only.

Respected Contributor

Re: THE McCARTHYS: Cancel or Keep the New CBS Sitcom?

I can take it or leave it.

Honored Contributor

I like both The McCarthys and The Millers. The networks don't give a show a chance. Back in the day All In The Family and Seinfeld needed time to build an audience and the networks gave them a chance.
Honored Contributor

I love Laurie Metcalf but The McCarthys stinks to high heaven, IMO.

Respected Contributor

I agree with Jordan2. The McCarthys could grow into a good show. It needs time. My husband who has very little of sense of humor will catch me watching a comedy show and say "That is so stupid, how can you watch that?" I will try to explain that it is funny because I know the characters. Just like a friend might say something that will make you laugh but someone who does not know them would not think it funny. He hated friends until out of boredom he started watching reruns enough that he got into it. Now he says he wished he had watched when it was on from the beginning. I bet if friends was just starting now, it would be cancelled after the first season. Same with Roseanne. etc.

Respected Contributor

Cancel
Honored Contributor

I'm still watching because I like Laurie Metcalf AND because I'm mesmerized by Tyler Ritter. He looks sooooo much like his father that I just cannot look away. What a cutie.

But I'd be willing to bet the farm that it's going down this season, or at the end of this season at the latest. All I ever hear/read about this show is negative.

If it survives, I'll probably keep watching.

Honored Contributor

On 11/15/2014 jordan2 said: I like both The McCarthys and The Millers. The networks don't give a show a chance. Back in the day All In The Family and Seinfeld needed time to build an audience and the networks gave them a chance.

So true! There have been several shows, over the last couple of seasons, that got axed well before they had half a chance. I really liked 'The Millers' and that caught me by surprise. I hate that it's cancelled.

Everything is so 'short attention span' now. No room for development or intellect. Just chop it after 5 minutes (figuratively).

Super Contributor

I haven't had a chance to see this show yet, I will be watching to see what I think

Valued Contributor

That is a shame if it is cancelled but there are very few shows that make it in the fall season.