Super Contributor

THE MENTALIST Seeking CBS Alternative As A Contingency

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Thursday April 24, 2014 @ 2:00pm PDT | deadline.com

‘The Mentalist’ Explores New Network Homes In Case CBS Does Not Renew Series

With The Mentalist‘s future at CBS in serious doubt, I hear the studio behind the veteran drama,Warner Bros TV, has been quietly shopping the series to other networks, garnering some preliminary interest from broadcast and cable. Taking in a 6-year-old high-end drama is not an easy proposition, but WBTV is ready to explore every possible avenue — that’s how important a property The Mentalist is to the studio with its $2 million-plus-per-episode off-network deal at TNT and big international sales including France, where it is the No. 1 scripted series.

Related: On The Bubble: Where Endangered Broadcast Series Stand

In a situation like that, having a sibling network comes in handy. CBS stepped in when NBC cancelled CBS Studios-produced drama Medium after five seasons, keeping the series and its lucrative off-network deal alive for two more years. When NBC was exploring ending Law & Order: Criminal Intent after six seasons, the series, produced by NBCUniversal, instead moved to sibling USA, which already was carrying CI reruns. The Law & Order spinoff ended up going for four more seasons. The Mentalist wouldn’t be a fit for the only WBTV-affiliated broadcast network, the young skewing CW, making cable sibling TNT the best possible option. Like with L&O: CI and USA, TNT already is the off-network home of The Mentalist and has a slate of crime procedurals. However, the net has been pulling away from the genre lately, putting an emphasis on action-adventure fare in the vein of Falling Skies with such shows as the upcoming The Last Ship and Legends, and I hear it might not be interested in picking up The Mentalist originals (though parent Time Warner could conceivably intervene if the larger company’s financial interest is at stake). Among the major broadcast networks, ABC is said to be open to considering a pickup though it is expected to evaluate its own development first. The network has had success with a similar comedic procedural, Castle, and it also has struggled launching dramas at 10 PM for the past couple of seasons.

Related: CBS Renews 9 Drama Series, 5 Comedies; No ‘Mentalist’ Or ‘Crazy Ones’

When The Mentalist premiered in 2008, it drew comparisons to USA‘s Psych, also a light crime procedural about a fake psychic helping the police. Psych just ended its eight-season run, so there is a vacancy there. But, like TNT, USA too has been moving away from character-based procedurals as it has been showing affinity for edgier dramas, and I hear it likely would not be pursuing The Mentalist.WGN America recently picked up off-network rights to three CBS crime dramas, Elementary, Blue Bloods and WBTV-produced Person of Interest, though the up-and-coming cable network also doesn’t appear to be in the running for The Mentalist. Broadcaster ION — which will share Blue Bloods with WGN and also is the off-network home to such series as Criminal Minds and Psych – could be a possibility, probably in a second-window situation.

Mentalist-season6-newslogan

What a network would be acquiring in The Mentalist is a show toplined by a TV star in Simon Baker that comes with a built-in average of more than 11 million viewers and a relatively fresh setup as the series just underwent a successful creative reboot after wrapping the 5 1/2-season-long Red John mystery. However, I hear Baker, who commands a big paycheck, only has a deal for one more season after this, meaning that the studio would have to renegotiate a new contract with him so the show can run on another network for multiple seasons. According to insiders, that is doable.

Related: Simon Baker Signs $30+ Mil Deal With Warner Bros TV

The Mentalist started off as a CBS darling, landing the post-NCIS Tuesday PM slot for its launch before moving to Thursdays 10 PM. But after four seasons on Thursday, the series was moved to the Sunday 10 PM slot. Despite often airing outside of primetime because of sports overruns, The Mentalist averages a 2.1 rating among adults 18-49 season to date, outrating its Sunday night lead-in The Good Wife in the demo. The Good Wife, which is critically praised and owned by CBS, already has been renewed for next season, along with 19 other programs for next season, including 8 drama series. It is that very crowded shelf space that has put The Mentalist in jeopardy. I hear the show has released its writers, allowing them to pursue alternative employment. But WBTV would keep pushing for a pickup, at CBS or elsewhere. The Mentalist creator/showrunner Bruno Heller is expected to segue to the Fox Batman prequel series Gotham, but there is a transition plan in place, with one of his lieutenants positioned to take over if The Mentalist continues.

(source: http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/the-mentalist-different-network-bubble-show-cbs/#more-718881)

Honored Contributor

Re: THE MENTALIST Seeking CBS Alternative As A Contingency

I would really miss the show and the fabulous Simon Baker. Problem is he is so much his character, "Patrick Jane," that I can't imagine him in any other role.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

Its been nearly impossible to watch the last couple years due to football. IMHO they were trying to kill it. Not a football fan but I assume the season is over so not sure why the time shift a couple weeks ago.
Esteemed Contributor

I caught a young Simon Baker(-Denny) in a 1997 movie last week...Most Wanted. I noticed the attractive actor first, then realized who he was. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I don't usually watch The Mentalist. No particular reason...I really like all of the characters. I'm not sure what I'm watching at the time it's on...if anything.

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

I still like this show and now with the post-Red John episodes, its even better. I like the characters that they have now and find the show has a wider reach and is still interesting. I hate to see it cancelled and I would definitely watch if another network picked it up. I remember CBS dropped Flashpoint but ION picked it up for another two years until the producers decided to end the show on a high note so maybe ION will grab it?

Esteemed Contributor

Do you mean Flashpoint is over? It was always on so late here. I seldom got to see it when it moved to ION.

What was the ""high note""?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I love Flashpoint. I discovered it at the beginning of Fall. I watched every single one. Had a lot to make up.

I didn't realize at first it had long been canceled.

Another show that was on for a few years and had a long hiatus is another Canadian show called "The Listner".

I think the kid is cute, but I just can't get into it.

I love the way Canadians and Brits have people who look real.

They don't have perfect teeth. They aren't perfectly shaped.

In this Country, everyone you see (pretty much) on TV are perfect and beautiful.

The people just look real from these other countries.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/26/2014 ballyk said: Its been nearly impossible to watch the last couple years due to football. IMHO they were trying to kill it. Not a football fan but I assume the season is over so not sure why the time shift a couple weeks ago.

There's always something on a Sunday. Golf is the big culprit when it isn't football. A few weeks ago, it may have also been the NCAA tournament.

When I finally got a DVR, one of the the first shows I put on it was The Amazing Race and I have it tape 2 hours over to not miss anything.

Honored Contributor

On 4/26/2014 esmerelda said:

Do you mean Flashpoint is over? It was always on so late here. I seldom got to see it when it moved to ION.

What was the ""high note""?

All seasons of Flashpoint are on NetFlix instant watch.

Trusted Contributor

Esmeralda, Annabelle, etc: **SPOILER ALERT FOR FLASHPOINT***

This is an article written by Rob Salem, Television critic explaining the last two episodes of Flashpoint. It ends good!!

Okay, so the ending is a little schmaltzy. A lot schmaltzy. But that’s okay. We needed the schmaltz. It’s entirely appropriate. After five seasons, it’s time to bid a fond if reluctant farewell to Flashpoint.

Some schmaltz is definitely called for. The show will be missed. Not just here in Toronto, its home and setting, but to fans across the country, in the States and around the world.

The hit homegrown cop show went officially off duty this week with a two-part story, “Keep the Peace,” split between consecutive Thursdays.

Last week, we saw the SRU team — every team — mobilize in the face of multiple bomb threats, with explosives planted in strategic locations around the city. We will set aside for the moment the obvious flaw in the single mad bomber’s plan — the fact that each of the bombs is almost identical, and fairly simply defused, which aside from the time factor makes our heroes’ job pretty straightforward.

“Cut the blue wire!” How many times have we heard that one? On the other hand, the latest bomb is “dirty,” and, post-detonation, inundates the area with dangerous radiation. Greg (Enrico Colantoni) is dosed.

But that’s hardly the point. Last week we saw the wrenching deaths of Donna (Jessica Steen) and her team, and a City Hall bombing with an almost fatal result for Ed’s son, Clark.

Part Two starts with Ed (Hugh Dillon) on site, rescuing his injured son from the rubble.

Greg is over at the university, where the first-responding firefighters have cordoned off the radiated wreckage. Clark safely en route to the hospital, Ed heads over, as does the injured Jules (Amy Jo Johnson). Upon arrival, maintaining a safe distance, they liaise with the on-site military, medical and fire units.

Opening credits. Greg arrives at the Hazmat (hazardous materials) treatment post at the unnamed stadium, where he comforts a radiated fireman.

Back at HQ, they trace the bomber’s video feed, and identify him as 18-year-old former student Marcus Faber. Jules is looped in, and works Faber, unsuccessfully, via radio. Five of 10 bombs are left.

The team heads out to the most fortified location. Back at Hazmat, Greg showers down. Son Dean, back at HQ, sends a note over, along with new gear and a uniform. Greg suits up.

Ed and team arrive at the bad guy’s home, which is of course abandoned. They tear the place apart. Ed finds the next device in a wall. Sam finds a map with the remaining bomb locations. Greg checks back in with Jules, who heads out to interview another student.

Ed dispatches combined teams. Spike notices the map is short one bomb. Ed and his team arrive at a police station while the other teams arrive at their locations — including the show’s own real-world network, CTV. Greg gets on the horn for a running radio pep talk.

New bombs, new blue-wire defusings. No radiation rig on the rest. The clock is ticking.

Jules interviews Faber’s classmate. Greg gets a clean radiation diagnosis, and remotely co-ordinates the teams. Sam (David Paetkau) is running out of time with his bomb, but refuses to leave. His new bride, Jules, is understandably freaked. Sam has a close call when the bomb goes off.

Everyone is much relieved when Sam checks in. It’s over to the other teams and their bombs. We’re soon down to one. Jules and Greg try to get inside the bomber’s head. Greg realizes the last bomb is right where he is at the stadium medical post.

Scary shot of downtown Toronto spewing smoke. Jules reasons Faber is probably on-site at the stadium. Greg finds the last bomb in the rafters. It’s dirty. Ed insists on coming over and helps outside the scene. Inside, Faber looks on from the shadows.

Greg starts to defuse the bomb with Spike guiding him on the radio. A shot narrowly misses him — it’s Faber. More shots at Greg. He fires back. He gets hit, but only in the vest, and continues to defuse. He is shot again, twice, and is seriously injured. This does not stop him from trying to sweet-talk Faber. He cuts the blue wire. Faber shoots him again. Ed arrives at the scene and takes down Faber.

Greg appears to transpire in Ed’s arms. Please no, they can’t do this to us in the last episode! Actually, they can. It’s just the sort of thing they do on Flashpoint, which has always emphasized the human factor, from the cops to the public to the villains of the week.

But Greg? Our inspirational team leader? How can they kill him off? Again, this is the last episode. That adds considerable credibility to the sobering possibility. Powerful moment for emotionally invested fans. Commercial break, drat them.

Post-commercial, it’s one year later. The city looks gorgeous and peaceful. Ed’s the new boss. The fellow former members of team begin to arrive at SRU central. Sam and Jules bring along their baby daughter.

Greg’s okay! Just a limp and a cane as he returns to the unit — he’s now retired from active duty, working as head instructor at the academy. They have all just returned from the ceremony. We learn Sam is now running Team Three.

They toast the team casualties, Donna and Lou. A fond last look around and tearful goodbye for Greg. Everybody smiles warmly at each other. Flashbacks ensue.

And millions of Flashpoint fans breathe a melancholy sigh. We’ll miss these folks. Here in Toronto especially, where they made our town look so spectacular — and occasionally not — week after week.

Ah, well, there are still DVDs and reruns.

Goodbye Team One. You’ve served us well.