Re: THE HYPNOTIC EYE TCM FRIDAY 9/17 3:15 P.M. ET

Reminder...on today at 3:15 ET 

Honored Contributor

Movie on in a few minutes...

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee 

I watched.  Have not seen this movie since a teen.  Still a camper.

Around this same time, Vincent Price was making a lot of campy horror movies.  Watched all those too!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Pearlee 

I watched.  Have not seen this movie since a teen.  Still a camper.

Around this same time, Vincent Price was making a lot of campy horror movies.  Watched all those too!

@Mz iMac  Im glad you too remember Eye. I watched it and it wasn't nearly as hokey as I expected it to be, esp the eye, but 60 years later I don't find it scary at all. It wasn't too bad a movie though. I laughed because movie psychiatrists back then smoked pipes 😀 and Detective Kennedy was one of the worst detectives ever on film (he's no Robert Goren!) I also thought if this hadn't been 1960 Desmond would have taken advantage of the hypnotized women.  I thought Jacques was very believable in the role and not corny.  I actually remembered what happens with Justine at the end, and remembered that horrifying opening scene as soon as it began.  The audience hypnotism scene went on way too long though as filler.

Yes about Vincent Price. That local movie station I mentioned in my OP showed House of Wax over and over, and it cracked me up that Morticia was in it (I always watched the Addams Family).

Respected Contributor

I thoroughly enjoyed it!  Even DH who is not a fan of the scary or gory movies I usually watch this time of year couldn't tear himself away.  It's suspenseful without being too scary or gorish.  For the time period it was made, the acting and film editing is quite good.  I knew that Justine was the controlling figure, but could not predict the reason why until the finale.

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

I thoroughly enjoyed it!  Even DH who is not a fan of the scary or gory movies I usually watch this time of year couldn't tear himself away.  It's suspenseful without being too scary or gorish.  For the time period it was made, the acting and film editing is quite good.  I knew that Justine was the controlling figure, but could not predict the reason why until the finale.

@Linmo  I'm glad you and your DH enjoyed it. My sister (in another state) and I texted during it and we both wondered why we used to think it was so scary as teenagers. She also  commented that the premise was an unusual one which made the film interesting, and she even suggested they do a remake (I don't. I hate remakes and think Jacques Bergerac was perfect in his Desmond role).