Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "WORLD'S END" DAVID JANSSEN SUZANNE PLESHETTE MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN ME

Finally to @Oznell's post!
I agree with much of your post and love how you describe the "scene" of the 1960s in this episode. I'm not as accepting as you about the credibility of DJ accepting a relationship with SP in the show and being willing to go off to Brazil, but you do.put it as plausibly as possible.

I like this epi for its ethical dilemmas -- SP's and Ada's and on what side they come down on them, and I like seeing more people from Kimble's pre-murder life. But again, SP's conduct --- both throwing herself at Kimble and hiding info from him, makes her an unsavory character, not worthy of him. Even if she did the right thing in the end.

That last kiss between them was for real! No acting involved!
Regular Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "WORLD'S END" DAVID JANSSEN SUZANNE PLESHETTE MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN ME

@Pearlee    You’re right and I stand corrected, the Miranda Rights Law didn’t go into effect til 1966.  Can you believe Dabney Coleman was so young?  It took me time to realize he was local law enforcement.  Didn’t click until half way through the show.

I still think Kimmel would have chickened out about Brazil.  There were times in future episodes when he was almost there,  but decided the only way out was to find the one armed man and clear himself.  I, too, don’t know about the FBI, but Gerard was so hell bent on finding Kimmel that he forgets his softer side when it comes to this fugitive.  Women in Kimmel’s life come and go, but Gerard represents the constant conflict.

I was was only kidding about SP living with her mother.  It really was an off the cuff, snide remark that I just threw in,  but I wasn’t kidding about her hair!

BTW...you’re doing fine on your phone

Honored Contributor

@chloe4578 Thanks about my phone. I make a lot of typos above though.

Well I just threw in that the Miranda case hadn't been decided yet just to show how different/early this was in law enforcement. Your valid question was about a search without a warrant but again, I think the clerk gave Gerard permission and the key to enter Kimble's room. Miranda is about having the right to remain silent, a completely different issue.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's me not having much to say...

The scenes with Ellie and RK were some of the more lackluster ones. One of the reasons was already given; they weren't on the same page. Once the reunion took place, most of Ellie's focus was on what could be. While Kimble's was on confronting the one-armed man and then later realizing that if the man was dead, his chances of returning to his life as he knew it and as he wanted it to be again were dead also.

I do think he would have gone to Brazil if the report had confirmed what Ellie had lead him to believe. The lie of omission. She didn't tell him what the final report stated but she didn't tell him his assumption was wrong.

I don't know if Ellie was really in love with him or not but her mother was the one who first mentioned she was. She had watched her daughter attend the trial every day. Her mother had also been privy to daughter's life on a daily basis during the two years while Kimble had been on the run. I took her word that her daughter did indeed love him. Love is not always logical nor is it always understood by others. Yes Ellie was spoiled and used to getting her way. She had probably never extended herself or gone too far out of her way to help someone else although even with this good deed she still had her own agenda. Kimble's appeal may have been he wasn't in love with her. Some women have to get what seems to be unattainable.

In some ways Ellie was very clever and in others the complete opposite. She didn't let Gerard intimidate her but she should have known he was going to have someone monitoring her calls. Particularly one she made as soon as he left her room. It turned out to be a good thing that after Kimble received that final confirmation he abruptly left Ellie's room - needing to be alone. Gerard had men staked out but by the time they started, Kimble had returned to his hotel. I liked the scenes with the hotel clerk because he did the unexpected by tipping Kimble off. That was an indicator Kimble had treated him respectfully.

In retrospect if the episodes I had seen previously hadn't been so exceptional I wouldn't have found this one lacking; however everything is relative.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Regular Contributor

@Pearlee  ...My father was an attorney, so I kind of grew up with a vast knowledge of the law, which still interests me today.  I don’t mean to go off subject, but I sometimes, when watching retro tv confuse today’s laws with the laws of the 60’s.  I wasn't thinking about Miranda Rights when Gerard unlocked Kimmel’s door, because Kimmel wasn’t there and he couldn’t arrest him.  I was thinking about if what he was doing was legal.  Since the FBI and police didn’t even talk to each other at that time, you’re probably right.  The laws today are much different.

When you mentioned Miranda Rights not being the law then, I looked it up.  Now, thanks to you, I know that didn’t happen til 1966.  

I usually don’t get so involved with the law, but this episode just rubbed me the wrong way.  

Looking forward to this week.  It’s got to be better than worlds End.

Honored Contributor

That point, @Tique ,  I'm glad you brought out-- about Ellie being smart in some ways, not in others.  That immediate phone call was such a blunder.

Shows I guess how much a creature of impulse she was...

@drizzellla,  I always feel an odd sense of loss when he so blithely abandons his suitcase, esp. this time, for some reason.  Would it really have slowed him so much-- he got into transportation right away, so wouldn't have been lugging it far.  Plus, leaving it behind gives the police something to comb for clues...

@chloe4578,  I'm not sure you'll be thrilled with the next one.  For my money, my vague recall is that the next several episodes are not especially compelling.  But "Man on a String" also involves legal and courtroom issues, so there's that for you. 

And it could well be better than I think-- @Pearlee, with your excellent memory for plot points and crucial dialog, you might remember it as more redeeming...

It does have kooky Lois Nettleton (who always strikes me as a quintessential Method actress, whether she was or not!),  and strong, silent John Larch, both of whom are usually good....

@twinsister,  thank you,  I forgot your, or your BF's, priceless designation of DJ,  "David Handsome".   It shall ever be!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

...The line DJ utters after the final kiss in the show is another piece of fine writing.

After waving the bus down, Kimble's final exchange with Ellie...

"Where will you go?"

"Where the bus is going."

"Ellie, uh…"

"You never kissed me like that before."

"Well maybe I never loved you before."

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Tique. Oh yes! Going where her the bus is going* is as good a line as the other line of not loving her before. I think that was the only choice dialogue passage from the show.

Tique you did make an excellent point about Ellie and that phone call, as well as her standing up to Gerard (always smoking nervously while doing so!) She was clever to tell the bellboy to send the suitcases to a different city to throw Gerard off, yet makes that phone call right away to DJ.

And to your point about last week's show improving two people's lives, one could say he improved Ellie's life by making her more ethical, but I have my doubts whether that was a permanent change in her. So I'm not sure he really helped anyone this week in terms of major life changes for the better (although Ellie changed for the better even if it was only a one,time occurrence.)

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I have to look up what next week's epi is to see how much of it I remember.
Honored Contributor

Typo above when I mention the bus. My phone did its own thing. Sigh.