Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "WORLD'S END" DAVID JANSSEN SUZANNE PLESHETTE MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

[ Edited ]

ca9cdc86fc9d3e35c8b6507a61e05f95.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern, Monday   The Fugitive  "World's End"  Me TV.     David Janssen, Suzanne Pleshette, Carmen Mathews, Barry Morse, Henry Beckman, Woodrow Parfrey, Dabney Coleman.

Finally, David Janssen and charismatic Suzanne Pleshette get to put their "real life" romantic chemistry onscreen.  Suzanne is spirited "Ellie Burnett", the daughter of Kimble's late defense lawyer, who is convinced she can help him prove his innocence... 

I like this episode for several reasons.  It's another that poses major ethical and philosophical questions.  It's one of those that draws in Gerard, so there's enhanced suspense.  We get a little more glimpse of life in fictional Stafford, Indiana, the hometown that Kimble rarely allows himself to visit. 

A few years after the trial, Ellie is living there still with her widowed mother, in quite comfortable circumstances.  (The TV drama "shorthand" for showing that, is often to have a scene of the lady of the house, impeccably groomed and made-up, cutting roses in the garden, ha.)  

They are socially active, and have the unusual distinction of being family friends with both the Gerards AND the Kimbles!

fugep32sc03.jpg

The mother-daughter relationship here is interesting.  Lovely Carmen Mathews ("Ada Burnett") and Suzanne Pleshette don't really resemble each other, so the casting might seem not that perfect.  But they do align well as parent and child in this--  they are close, and in some of her thoughts and actions, "Ellie" appears, at least, to have few secrets from her mother. 

Oh, one way that there is a physical resemblance is, they both have distinctively throaty voices....

The episode is filled with veteran character actors, including the always near-unrecognizable young Dabney Coleman.  The black and white photo of him below is from a different Fugitive episode, but shows him at the time.  For good measure, they have him also in color, from "The Invaders".   He still doesn't look much like the older, familiar Dabney Coleman to me!

Dabney Coleman x2.png

You might recognize yeoman player Henry Beckman, and quirky Woodrow Parfrey too.  (That's quite the studio shot; open-to-the-waist shirt, focused light and penetrating gaze, and all...)

MV5BMTAyNDcxNjU3NzVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDA3NjY1MjIx._V1_UY317_CR104,0,214,317_AL_.jpg 

MV5BMTMwNTEyOTkwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM4ODA4MQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,785,1000_AL_.jpg

Oh, trivia question-- there's yet another Peyton Place veteran in this-- who is it, and what role did they play.  (I had no idea until I read it.)

I have a feeling there's going to be quite a bit to discuss in this one....

MV5BZTViZGZkNTEtNWE0My00OWJiLTgxNmMtNDUxNTU5MmJkNDI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

Edited to add--  For my non-ME TV-getting pals, this episode, "World's End",  is another one that streams free on Youtube, thankfully.  Please see below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA-r9CsKP0k

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "WORLD'S END" DAVID JANSSEN SUZANNE PLESHETTE MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN ME

Sounds like a good one!  Wasn't "Ellie" the name of DJ's current real life wife??  And SP is playing a character named "Ellie"?  They would have made a good real life team!

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "WORLD'S END" DAVID JANSSEN SUZANNE PLESHETTE MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN ME

kaydee50. Yes, Ellie was Janssen's first wife's name and it always disturbs me, when I watch this episode as an adult, knowing what I learned about their affair at this time years after I first saw this episode, that DJ and SP could be so hurtful to Janssen's wife! It certainly seems deliberate!

Anyway, I commented months ago that I thought one of my favorite lines in the whole run of the show is in this episode and it is. Right at the beginning. Kimble goes into a diner or small restaurant, weary from running, and orders a "bowl of soup -- any kind" barely looking at the waitress. The message being, "I just need some hot nourishment, I'm so tired and lonely I don't care what it is" and immediately in those opening minutes I feel so sorry for Kimble.Great writing to evoke sympathy.

And @Oznell yes! About Dabney being completely unrecognizable in TF shows he was in. I was going to mention that and am glad you illustrated that with a photo. Don't know the Peyton Place person in this one, I'll be on the lookout.

I like this episode but not nearly as much as last week's. Much as I think DJ is super hunky, as an adult watching now (as opposed to my first viewing) the episodes where women relentlessly pursue Kimble, falling at his feet so to speak, make me cringe. And worse is when he, despite reason, goes along with it. SP is *I want you at any cost even if the feeling isn't mutual," and the groveling and arm-twisting is cringe-worthy.

By the way, I hate SP's hairdo which was very in style at the time, as was her cat's eye eyeliner. My older sister had that exact look (I was too young for makeup).

Let's just assume oznell that SP resembled her lawyer father and not her mother.

The line DJ utters after the final kiss in the show is another piece of fine writing.
Honored Contributor

Yes, so glad you mentioned that poignant "soup" line, @Pearlee !  It so well brings in, in a few short words, so much of what the series is about.  His line reading is perfect, too.  Great writing and acting-- a "Fugitive" hallmark!

I don't remember the line after the final kiss-- now I'll be watching for that!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. For all these years that soup line has stuck with me, I felt so bad for him. Proving as Leonard Goldberg thought, the viewers needed an ending because we cared about this fictional character.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm ready!!

@Oznell - thanks for the great detailed preview with photos!

@Pearlee - when I see Dabney Coleman now I think of him in Columbo as the high powered attorney with the rock star girlfriend.

Quick side note - I watched The Invaders last week and enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

I saw Roy Thinnes in one of the Murder She Wrote Marathon episodes yesterday. It always takes me a moment to recognize him outside The Invaders.
Honored Contributor

Speaking of the ending, @Pearlee ,  that's one of the very few shows, that I would have liked them to do a follow-up on, maybe, but ONLY with original cast.  I realize that was impossible, tired DJ didn't want to do it, but.....  How interesting it would have been to see a character as complex and fascinating as Kimble, "after the running stopped".   Of course, he and Diane Baker would have realized that they were not meant to be, and would have parted amicably, ha.  

Oh, good, @twinsister ,  glad you finally got to see "The Invaders"!

Honored Contributor

I just watched this on YouTube
OMG Dabney Coleman = really unrecognizable and in quite a few scenes. Not having a mustache can't make that much difference!

I looked up the cast in IMdb and didn't find anyone I knew from Peyton Place. However I watched the show super carefully and thought it could have been Mia Farrow throwing a bouquet at the end? Certainly it wasn't the farmer's wife, who didn't look familiar to me nor was her name so I don't know who it could be.
Honored Contributor

So where are our usual watchers? I made quite a few comments already before the 2:a.m. airing without giving anything away. @Oznell Have you watched it yet? If so what did you think of DJ's comment to SP after that last kiss?