Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "WIFE KILLER" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

fugep77sc17b.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern Monday   The Fugitive "Wife Killer" David Janssen, Janice Rule, Kevin McCarthy, Bill Raisch, Lloyd Haynes, Stephen Roberts, John Luce, Steve Wolfson, Charles McDaniel

An ambitious and somewhat tarnished reporter, "Barbara Webb" ( multiple Fuge performer Janice Rule) spots a one-armed man (Bill Raisch) in a group of suspects, and her resulting wire story and pix draw Kimble to the spot.  While her helpless ex-editor "Herb Malone"  (Kevin McCarthy) looks on, Barbara and Kimble chase down and secretly detain the now incapacitated suspect, while Gerard fumes, and the local police hover....

fugep77sc49b.jpg

Lots of glaring holes, plausibility probs., in this one, but I still love it!  Tons of action; another set of fascinating (and vexing) ethical issues, different from those we touched on last week; a brand new revelation for Kimble, and rather interesting characters.  Directed by Hollywood stalwart Richard Donner, who became known for his fast pacing and exciting staging.

MV5BZGE5YWU0OTctNTk4Yy00OTZhLWE4MDYtM2EzYzZiNjAzMmM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

Kept wanting to know more backstory on the relationship of the initally brash and "smirk-ey" reporter Barbara, and her old newspaper editor boss and ex-fiance.  Kevin McCarthy as Herb, is terrific in this-- self-possessed, canny, crafty in the way he handles Gerard.  He's crazy about Barbara, (see photo above, ha) and utterly loyal, but clear-eyed about her reportorial faults.   I'd sure like him in my corner, were I in a legal pickle!

fugep77sc55b.jpg

There was so much more to McCarthy as an actor, apart from high profile career markers like "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "Death of a Salesman".  

Don't you love the way he "listens" to the other characters in this-- he perfected the actor's art of seeming to be totally 'tuned in' to whomever he was talking to, at any given moment.

fugep77sc06b.jpg

Speaking of acting, DJ is superb as usual, especially in those moments of revelation that occur in the plot:

fugep77sc52b.jpg

Trivia:  Do you recognize, in a small role, a certain handsome actor who later made his mark in TV's "Room 222",  along with Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine??

Anyway, suffice it to say, lots to focus in on, in this very 'laden' episode.  

MV5BZTc1ZjhlYmItODZlOS00NzFiLWE2Y2UtNjc1MzU3NTQzZGMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg     

A small shout-out to a long-time, prolific poster, @Tique -- this one made me especially think of you, particularly with some of the "memorable dialog".   You're missed!   I totally understand though--  posters are busy, they move on.  So, goes without saying, no pressure to respond, friend.  But just so you know, you have been highly appreciated here!

Oh, maybe some might find this of interest.   Absent a video of the episode, found online one of Barry Morse's ("Lt. Gerard") short, filmed introductions to it.  The surprise to me was his revelation of "the one-armed man's" previous profession, prior to becoming a character actor:     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4PQaeVZgkY

fugep77sc77b.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "WIFE KILLER" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

Thank you for finding this episode on YouTube.

I was going to have the episode recorded. I have to admit that I keep dozing off when I watch at 2 AM. I think when  I start out I am not tired. Next thing I know and 10 minutes are gone.

And it also gives me a chance to go back and watch again. Sometimes different scenes are mentioned in the discussion and I missed an item or tidbit. 

Thanks for making the effort to find it, Oznell.

Honored Contributor

Oh, @drizzellla --  I'm sorry, I did try to find the full length episode, but could not.  As I said, in its absence, the video I posted, is one of Barry Morse's filmed introductions to this episode--  the best I could do!   But it is fun to hear him summarize it.

Someone seems to have removed virtually every youtube full-length episode of the Fuge, unfortunately.

So I'm back to pulling out my old DVD's of the series.  And you should go ahead with your plan to record.  Here's hoping someone in the near future tries to put them on youtube again!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, @drizzellla --  I'm sorry, I did try to find the full length episode, but could not.  As I said, in its absence, the video I posted, is one of Barry Morse's filmed introductions to this episode--  the best I could do!   But it is fun to hear him summarize it.

Someone seems to have removed virtually every youtube full-length episode of the Fuge, unfortunately.

So I'm back to pulling out my old DVD's of the series.  And you should go ahead with your plan to record.  Here's hoping someone in the near future tries to put them on youtube again!

OOPPS! Saw the YouTube at the end and ran with it. 

No problem I will record it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell - Will set my DVR.  For some reason, this episode looks vaguely familiar to me, maybe I have seen the photos before.  I don't remember what happens, so it will be liking watching a new episode.  Lucky Janice Rule - she was married to our adorable Ben G. and got to work with our handsome DJ.!!

Thanks for trying to find a video on YouTube.  Will watch the intro you posted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

At the end of Morse's intro, the Intro blurb preview to The Fugitive epi played ( you know, how The Fuge starts with a scene from the epi  instead of the train wreck). I thought the entire epi was going to play after Morse's intro. Are you sure it doesn't?  I didn't keep watching because I'm going  to watch my disc, but are you sure the whole epi doesn't play after what Morse said?

By the way, Janice Rule was married to Ben Gazzara around this time. We are now in 1966 with this epi.

@Oznell  @twinsister. @drizzellla 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - I just watched the intro and the full episode does not air - only about 7 or 8 minutes.  Yes - I did know that she was married to Ben G at this time.

It was strange to hear Barry Morse speak in his native British accent.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee - I just watched the intro and the full episode does not air - only about 7 or 8 minutes.  Yes - I did know that she was married to Ben G at this time.

It was strange to hear Barry Morse speak in his native British accent.

@twinsister  Thanks for checking that!

Honored Contributor

@twinsister,  right, it's impossible to watch Janice Rule without thinking of her being married to adorable-Ben!  It would be neat to know how she and DJ got along, having played together more than once on "Fuge".  

@Pearlee,  no, it's too bad that they don't do more than a snippet of the episode on that video.  It would have been quite a find if they had, since the Barry Morse intros seem to still be streaming free online. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   Interesting.  I remember this episode.  So, Lt. Gerard is a Brit.  It always amazes me how people with accents can speak without one when acting.