Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "WHEN THE WIND BLOWS" D. JANSSEN MONDAY 2 A.M. EASTERN METV

There were almost too many nifty little touches in this episode to recount!  One thing I really liked--  it would have been so easy, and expected, to turn the very conventional 'boyfriend' of Lois into a villain-- he clearly, at first, didn't understand Kenny, and was put off by his sensitivity.

But instead, at the end, he showed himself to be a nice, regular guy.  He's no Kimble, that's a given.  He might be a bit baffled by a personality like Kenny's, but he wasn't going to write him off, and they were able to have the warm fuzzies at the end.

I like it when a story sort of defies expectations in little ways like that...

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @drizzellla , that was neat when she did something that clever, and that crafty!  I liked Lois all the way through.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I must say "When the Wind Blows" was an episode that I liked.

Mainly because of the twist at the end. Mrs Carter running decoy. DId not see that coming. I liked that. 

PS - And for once it seemed like the female character in the show acted like a normal person. 

@drizzellla  Probably because, as I posted above, this was one of the rare scripts back then written by a woman!

Esteemed Contributor

I loved this episode!  It was just different, in a good way, with the characters and their interactions with Kimble.  Johnny Jensen was great as little Kenny.   I especially liked his scenes with Kimble.  Someone (either @Oznell or @Pearlee) mentioned they had a favorite line.  I had two - one was when Kenny said to Kimble when asked why he followed him, he responded "I wasn't ready for you to leave me yet" and the other was Kenny asking Kimble, "you and I are special, aren't we?" 

Also @drizzellla said about Mrs. Carter being a decoy, I did not see that coming either!

I did laugh at two things - the look on Mrs. Carter's face when she first got a look at Kimble and his breakfast costing 61 cents!!

The ending with Kenny and his mother's boyfriend getting along was a nice touch.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister I'm glad you also loved this one. I remember it well because I never passed up a chance to see it over and over again for all these years. I knew you'd laugh at Lois' reaction to Kimble when she turned around and saw to whom she was speaking. And yes, those prices!

The one weak spot was why Kimble didn't keep hitching more rides at the junction where Greg Mullavey dropped him off since everyone was looking for him, but perhaps he was out of money after that 61 cent breakfast so he took advantage of the Help Wanted sign.

I posted that I had a favorite line but it's really lines now that I think about it.  It always sticks in my mind about this epi Kimble, before he enters the cave with Lois, asking her if she was afraid [of him] and then her responding no. It's Kimble's question that always tugs at my heart when he asks that, sad for him, and him always thinking of others. My heart melts when he asks that. After viewing the first 20 min or so last night again before I fel asleep, I also liked, when Lois asked Kenny if Mr. McGuire had said that [promised to build the bird house Saturday]  Kenny replied "he told me with his eyes."  Sharp kid, since Kimble's eyes are so expressive.  

As I posted above, I loved Act IV and the Epilog so yes, the ending with Lois' boyfriend trying to understand Kenny, was really good!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - yes - that line about being afraid does make us feel sorry for Kimble.

I forgot to mention in my review that I was surprised Lt. Gerard wasn't sniffing around looking for Kimble, since local officials had been alerted and they would have notified him.   I'm glad he wasn't in this episode because I think he would have ruined it!

This is one I would definitely watch again.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee - yes - that line about being afraid does make us feel sorry for Kimble.

I forgot to mention in my review that I was surprised Lt. Gerard wasn't sniffing around looking for Kimble, since local officials had been alerted and they would have notified him.   I'm glad he wasn't in this episode because I think he would have ruined it!

This is one I would definitely watch again.

@twinsister  LOL "would have ruined it."  As you know, I like Gerard's character but agree, this epi was good without him.

Those local yokel law enforcers were probably too incompetent to contact Gerard.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What was nice about this episode was the absence of nasty, shady, crazy, or criminal characters. You never had to guess at anyone's motives. People were as they appeared to be. 

It was also nice to see an attractive woman not react towards Kimble as if she was interested in him, but was instead only interested in him as a worker, then when she knew who he was, in his assessment of her son. Mothers haven't always been portrayed in the best light in this series, so to see a mother so devoted and concerned about her child's well-being was refreshing. I thought some of the best exchanges were between Kimble and Lois. Especially in their talks about Kenny. And Lois definitely reacts to men depending on how they're able to interact with Kenny.

Interestingly there had been no mention of Kenny's father, but the boy made several references to death and things dying. Makes me think that if Kimble had stayed around a little longer he would have made a stronger point to suggest some type of counseling. 

I think boyfriend Steve really wanted to bond with Kenny, that's why he bought him a gift where they could share an experience. So it was touching to see them in the truck driving home together. I thought Lois would talk Steve into helping, but assumed he would have cut off the sheriff's car from following, so him picking up Kenny was a surprise.

And the epilogue was certainly a cut from a different episode since Kimble was in a white shirt and tie carrying a much larger suitcase.

Honored Contributor

I'd forgotten that line you quoted, @twinsister ,  about him not being ready to leave him yet -- how poignant. 

Agreed, @Etoile308 --  I also enjoyed that rapport between Kimble and the very appealing Lois, that was absent any coyness.   And good point, you are right, she related to men very much in the context of her son, Kenny.  Also, like you, I liked the portrayal of a concerned, but emotionally healthy mother trying to act in the best interest of her child...

I keep complaining about them tacking on that "canned" roadside ending scene, that is from way back in the series--  he even look looks a little thinner in the face to me in that one! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I'd forgotten that line you quoted, @twinsister ,  about him not being ready to leave him yet -- how poignant. 

Agreed, @Etoile308 --  I also enjoyed that rapport between Kimble and the very appealing Lois, that was absent any coyness.   And good point, you are right, she related to men very much in the context of her son, Kenny.  Also, like you, I liked the portrayal of a concerned, but emotionally healthy mother trying to act in the best interest of her child...

I keep complaining about them tacking on that "canned" roadside ending scene, that is from way back in the series--  he even look looks a little thinner in the face to me in that one! 

@Oznell. I wouldn't complain about it and am sorry you feel that way. Janssen ended the series because he was exhausted...30 episodes per season and, as I've read, he was in almost every scene and was, as many actors have stated, "the hardest working actor in television" at the time.  I don't mind using some stock footage in an Epilog if it saved the guy some time at work.  Especially given his early death. He absolutely carried that show so I'm willing to cut him some slack about an Epilog.