Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "WHEN THE WIND BLOWS" D. JANSSEN MONDAY 2 A.M. EASTERN METV

fugep75sc28b.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern, Monday--  The Fugitive "When the Wind Blows"  David Janssen, Johnny Jensen, Georgann Johnson, Harry Townes, Larry Ward, Don Hamner, George Brenlin, Greg Mullavey, E. A. Nicholson, Elmer Modlin, Don Saroyan

Heart A treasure of an episode, one not to be missed!  I still remember the impact it had on me the first time I viewed.

In a small Wyoming town, a buffoonish part-time constable, "Jake Wilkins" (Don Hamner), and then, more serious law enforcement, represented by "Deputy Russ Atkins" (multiple Fuge performer Harry Townes),  are twigging to the fact that Kimble is nearby.   

fugep75sc14b.jpg

Kimble's gotten a job helping a pleasant motel proprietor, "Lois Carter" (multiple Fuge actress, Georgann Johnson),  prepare her business for the season, and he has made friends with her very unusual little boy, "Kenny"  (Johnny Jensen).

fugep75sc22b.jpg

Luminous child actor (and yes, multiple Fuge performer-- he will also portray a Kimble nephew later on), Johnny Jensen brings a sweet gravity and innocence to his role here as Kenny. 

(Rather good casting --  Georgann Johnson and Johnny Jensen make a very plausible mother and son.)

fugep75sc39b.jpg

I suspect many who have seen this feel a shock of recognition at Kenny's character.  He may be one of the best written and portrayed examples in the era of a "highly sensitive person",  one who "can hear fish scream".  (It will all be come clear upon viewing the episode!)

fugep75sc07b.jpg 

And the dialogue between Kenny and Kimble is remarkable for what it reveals about both of them.  We are used to Kimble having a unique rapport with children;  here we get to see that, and the professional impulse of the doctor to reassure and explain, plus Kimble's bemused reactions to the piquant comments of the child.

fugep75sc43b.jpg

It's a side of Kimble that's often only hinted at, and here we can luxuriate in it. His gently therapeutic interactions with worried mother Lois are also very much in character, and a pleasure to witness.

fugep75sc63b.jpg

We do have a free streaming youtube this week (for a change) of "When the Wind Blows".    It's mislabeled however, with the title of LAST week's episode, "End of the Line", slapped on it!  Pay no attention to that though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hptK88YFVU

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "WHEN THE WIND BLOWS" D. JANSSEN MONDAY 2 A.M. EASTERN METV

[ Edited ]

One of my favorites, thoughtful and excellently written with great sensitivity by a woman, Betty Langdon. I love the ending of Act IV and the Epilog, as well as the conversations between Kimble and Kenny, the little boy..  I have a favorite line and response in this which I won't divulge.

When Georgeann first meets Kimble, her back is to him. 

Be sure to watch  her expression when she turns around and faces the man to whom she is speaking. LOL!

Georgeann Johnson was in Murphy's Romance. I think she was interested in Murphy but Sally Field (Emma) caught his eye.

@twinsister. My mother dressed just like Georgeann. Kickplait skirt and button-down collar blouse,  and a suit like Georgeann's too. Flashback to my mom in the 1960s!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell & @Pearlee - My interest is piqued now since you both like this episode.  It sounds very different.  I like watching Kimble interacting with children,

Looking forward to watching and I'm glad there is a YouTube version available.

I like Georgeann Johnson and will take note of the kickpleat skirt and suit - love 1960's fashion!

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you agree with me,  @Pearlee --  when all the elements come together in an exceptional episode like this, it is such a treat.

@twinsister,  you will not be disappointed.  I kept wishing there were even more "Kimble/Kenny" scenes.  As we know, there was that playful but sensitive, almost child-like aspect to DJ in real life (according to many of his associates), and which you can see sometimes in the occasional interview with him.  He seems to put those qualities to especially good use in the scenes here-- I'd love to have witnessed their rehearsals.

Hoping we get people intrigued to watch this one! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I'm glad you agree with me,  @Pearlee --  when all the elements come together in an exceptional episode like this, it is such a treat.

@twinsister,  you will not be disappointed.  I kept wishing there were even more "Kimble/Kenny" scenes.  As we know, there was that playful but sensitive, almost child-like aspect to DJ in real life (according to many of his associates), and which you can see sometimes in the occasional interview with him.  He seems to put those qualities to especially good use in the scenes here-- I'd love to have witnessed their rehearsals.

Hoping we get people intrigued to watch this one! 

@Oznell. Actually you agree with me! I mentioned on last week's thread that this is episode is a favorite of mine.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee,  as a figure of speech, whether "you agree with me" on an episode, or "I with you", or "we agree with each other"--   I always find that fun, and illuminating when other viewers have similar reactions to mine.  Especially right down to fairly specific things, by the way.  I can't tell you how often someone will mention some tiny gesture, word or part of a scene, that I also had the same thoughts about, but not necessarily voiced.  Eerie, sometimes.

Not that I don't appreciate it when another viewer has an exact opposite reaction to an episode--  that can be interesting as well.  Doesn't happen that often, but I've sometimes been persuaded out of a whole way of looking at something by another Fuge viewer on these threads.       

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Well yes, a figure of speech but in some instances chronological order is best. For example "I look like my mother" makes more sense than "my mother looks like me."  I'm always cognizant of that. 🙂

Honored Contributor

By the way, if the truck driver who gives Kimble a ride looks familiar, that's Greg Mullavey from Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman who looks about the same as he did in the show. I recognized him right away, and confirmed in the credits at end of show. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

By the way, if the truck driver who gives Kimble a ride looks familiar, that's Greg Mullavey from Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman who looks about the same as he did in the show. I recognized him right away, and confirmed in the credits at end of show.

I was trying to figure out what show that he was on. Thanks. I knew he was on a TV show, But I did not think of Mary Hartman. I probably would never have thought of Mary Hartman.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I must say "When the Wind Blows" was an episode that I liked.

Mainly because of the twist at the end. Mrs Carter running decoy. DId not see that coming. I liked that. 

PS - And for once it seemed like the female character in the show acted like a normal person.