Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS" DAVID JANSSEN, DIANA HYLAND MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

MV5BMDZjMjg4ZTEtNGI5Yy00NjNmLWEzYTktMjJhOTQ1NTQzZDdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern, Monday--  The Fugitive, "When the Bough Breaks"  David Janssen, Diana Hyland, Royal Dano, Lin McCarthy

Ah, yes.  Richard Kimble, a suitcase (!) and a freight train. But what will he find in a boxcar-- how about glamorous blonde Diana Hyland and a baby?

MV5BMGZhMDQwMDctMWQ2NC00YzZmLWE4NDktOTlkMGVmMTk1ZTcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjA5OTY5OTQ@._V1_.jpg

The story of how she got there and what he does about it unwinds in a rather far-fetched manner, to my mind.  But at least there's the reliable stable of terrific 60's character actors to render as much believability to the plot as is possible, and yes, there definitely is suspense!  Of a quite uncomfortable, nail-biting kind, for a reason that will become clear in the episode.

Love Diana Hyland, who brings her patented wistful, almost 'fey' quality to so many roles of this type.  To me, she would have been a good candidate for one of Kimble's "memorable" loves, if they had constructed an episode around that.  But that's not to be, and I could be wrong, but don't think the other episode (or episodes?) that she did for the Fuge have her in that kind of a romantic relationship with Kimble either.  Too bad!

MV5BYmRmMjI3ZmItZjI1NC00MzU3LTg5MGMtNTFlNDQ3YzdjMTFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_SY447_CR0,0,582,447_AL_.jpg

It's slightly disconcerting to see Kimble's devoted, likable sometime brother-in-law, Donna's husband (Lin McCarthy), pop up here as a police detective, capable of sending him back to the electric chair!   But that's "The Fugitive"--  it, and other Quinn Martin productions, seemed to have a revolving stock company of favored actors that they liked to use.  Half the fun is spotting them, here and there!

MV5BZWE4MWVjNjItMzQxMi00YzVlLTk2NTctODcwNjg2NzI5OWQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg     

Watch for familiar faces Marge Redmond, Sue Randall, and Jud Taylor, another Fuge alum, who was Kimble's comically scatterbrained fellow stock clerk in the department store episode.

"When the Bough Breaks" streaming free on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0kXvj4Bjgk

Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS" DAVID JANSSEN, DIANA HYLAND MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EAST

@Oznell - I always liked Diana Hyland, so I am looking forward to this episode. Sad she died so young.   Have to admit when I saw the first picture, his suitcase jumped out at me!!  Also remember Marge Redmond and Sue Randall - Miss Landers on Leave it to Beaver.

The synopsis sounds interesting.  Thanks again for the preview.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS" DAVID JANSSEN, DIANA HYLAND MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EAST

@Oznell. You are correct that Hyland does not appear as a romantic interest of Kimble's in a future epi. She does appear in an almost identical role to tonight's (which I won't give away now) in an epi I've mentioned before, Set Fire To The Straw Man that also featured the boy Clint Howard. Think about it -- her very same persona is transferred to that epi.

One character actor you didn't mention from tonight's epi is a very young (but still recognizable) Robert Hogan, a handsome actor who also made the rounds of TV shows for a long time (he had a short-lived recurring role in Murder She Wrote later; he may have popped up in another Fugitive - I'm thinking he did but can't remember for sure now).

Marge Redmond, who was in The Flying Nun (@twinsister --we go WAY back) was married in real life to actor Jack Weston, who was in the Fuge episode Fatso.

There is a plot device from last week's show repeated in tonight's which I won't give away but will comment that I can't believe it would be incorporated in two consecutive episodes.

You didn't mention whether you like tonight's show. I think it is OK. It isn't a favorite but I don't mind repeat viewings of it. It's a "C+" grade for me.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  I liked it. From your grading system more than you, My grade is a "B" but will add it could be because of the presence of Diana Hyland and a couple more actors I usually enjoy.

@Oznell   agree. It was somewhat jolting to see Lin McCarthy in this episode as you described but I really like him in this role. Wonder why...

Will return tomorrow.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

I meant to mention in my earlier post that Robert Hogan plays police Sargeant Barrett ( although I don't recall him being addressed by name).
Honored Contributor

@twinsister. Enjoy the brief moment of someone using a rotary dial phone. 🙂 Ahhhhhh the good old days.
Honored Contributor

Ooops and I meant to say in my post above, be sure to listen for the phone number starting with a word as they used to back then, not a number.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee  - Rotary phone, telephone exchange (ours was DE for Dewey) and The Flying Nun- all in one episode, wow, we really are old!!  Maybe we could use some Geritol - LOL!

I have to look up Robert Hogan - the name does not sound familiar.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister. Remembrances of things past.

Good call on Miss Landers from Beaver. I knew I recognized that actress but couldn't remember from what. I would never have thought of it, so thanks. 🙂

Honored Contributor

i remember Robert Hogan as Scott Banning  on Days of Our Lives in the early 70's, very handsome. Remember Diana Hyland on Dr Kildare too.