Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "TRIAL BY FIRE" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

We are on a role with another good episode!  

When Kimble's attorney Green told Donna that he didn't say anything to his secretary about the witness,  I had a feeling that the secretary would give out some information.  

The reason for Eckhart not knowing about the murder and Kimble being found guilty were plausible as opposed to other storylines where things could be far fetched.  The scenes between Janssen and Aidman were well played by both, and believable as still two good men, despite what life had dealt them.

I felt bad for Kimble when he was with Donna and Green in the park.  Even then when he was with people he could trust, he still had that furtive, darting eyes back and forth look.  Always looking behind his shoulder and never being able to relax.  Is it just me, or did that look like the same park that was used in last week's episode?

Marion Ross and Tommy Rettig were good also.  It was nice that Tommy defended his father at the very end.

I liked that man on the bus who told Kimble not to surrender.  When he stood up I thought he was going up front to the bus driver. He reminded me of a 1950's type gangster with that fedora.  In the picture @Oznell  posted he looked like Broderick Crawford.

As usual, Lt. Gerard would not admit there was even a slight possibility that Kimble could be innocent.   Calling the Captain a junkie was typical for Gerard.

Honored Contributor

This is the reason I thought it was a sad episode. The Captain might lose his chance for the new job if he stays around to testify. And  then his drug use became well known. So for sure he no longer would be welcome in the new company. And all he was doing was try and do the right thing. And his life was made a mess in a matter of hours.

Plus Kimball did not seem at all encouraged by the news of the Captain seeing the one armed man. It was like he knew nothing good would come of it. And he was right.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

This is the reason I thought it was a sad episode. The Captain might lose his chance for the new job if he stays around to testify. And  then his drug use became well known. So for sure he no longer would be welcome in the new company. And all he was doing was try and do the right thing. And his life was made a mess in a matter of hours.

Plus Kimball did not seem at all encouraged by the news of the Captain seeing the one armed man. It was like he knew nothing good would come of it. And he was right.

@drizzellla - I could see your point.  Just like that saying "no good deed goes unpunished".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla  thank you for returning and giving further information. After reading it I concede there were a series of sad things that happened but the saddest would have been if Kimble had showed up at the courthouse not knowing the Captain's drug use had been revealed.

@twinsister  you mentioned the comment Gerard made about the Captain. I had hoped after the episode when Kimble came to his defense he might have become a little more flexible. Guess at least his approach/outlook wasn't just reserved for Kimble.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@drizzellla. The Captain did lose the job offer. He told Kimble he did and that his wife didn't know yet. 

Honored Contributor

Whoa, @twinsister ,  you are on a roll as well--  found myself nodding agreement with everything you brought up!

So true about Kimble not being able to ever just relax in public, the darting eyes, etc.  I couldn't tell if the park was similar--  maybe it was, but for some reason I thought it was perhaps more "urban" looking.

Loved Tommy's coming to defense of his father too!  And he was convincing, b/c Kimble, after initially having been irked, ended up saying "You're right, J.J.",  with quiet conviction.

I'm glad you elaborated on your reasons for the 'sad' comment, @drizzellla -- fits with what I percieved you to be saying, plus you added the additional losses of job, etc. that were incurred by the Captain.  I had a feeling he and his little family would be OK, though, despite the deep disappointments-- they seemed like a cohesive little family, that would be able to weather their storms, maybe...

@Tique,  agreed, one would have hoped Gerard would have been tempered by what happened before-- but there he was, true to form, dismissive and condescending.  It seems to be an intractable part of his character.  I'm trying to think if we've seen any "growth" for him in that department thus far-- can you think of any? 

It was neat that Burt Green the lawyer was able to respond to Donna's wonderment that Gerard could think such a way about Captain Eckhard  --  Green says,  "He has to".  I'm assuming he means, if Gerard ever let himself think differently, his whole house of cards re 'believing' in Kimble's guilt, would come tumbling down...

Honored Contributor

@twinsister You are on a roll! Great comments; I'm enjoying everyone's comments. 

I loved the writing in the Epilog. @Oznell  You are exactly right about Gerard's junkie comment and I loved that dialogue between Aletter. and Scott. Gerard has to believe that the Captain is just a junkie  to keep fueling his obsession about Kimble. I really loved the last line in the Epilog: "A phantom seen by two men can be seen again."

Interesting that two weeks in a row we have someone offering to help Kimble and him being so mistrustful of the person and he's "saved" just in the nicked of time.

I'm surprised Kimble was so ungrateful --almost nasty-- to the Captain upon learning of the drug issue until J.J. called him out. Kimble isn't usually "it's all about me."  I was also surprised that Kimble gave up so easily at first when the Captain seemed like he wasn't going to help him, and never mentioned his argument about facing execution if he doesn't get a new trial. 

About the guy on the bus, Kimble really did look rattled after the guy said he wouldn't turn himself in --- good acting by DJ, and I loved how the guy smirked at the police when he got off the bus. Another nice touch from the writers.

There were parts of the show that were edited out. Except for mixing up Aidman with Binns playing the Captain as I mentioned above, I remember this epi  well and am sure Marian Ross had a bigger part. I think some brief scenes with her were cut because I remember she spent more time trying to get her husband not to testify; she had enough scenes that I really disliked her and didn't think she'd convey Donna's message to Kimble.  Also, when J.J. and the Captain were in the car trying to catch the bus, the Captaon asks J.J. what "he said about the directions" and J.J. responds "he said turn left at...,: We didn't see anyone giving them directions. I do think there were edits. ☹

Honored Contributor

Oh, I had forgotten that line William Conrad utters so well, @Pearlee ,  "a phantom.....".   Agreed, that is great!

About your perception of Kimble's "sourness" in some of the episode-- great point, I think that's true.  Of course, he had a LOT to be disappointed about.  But it seems in some episodes they like to give us a more extended glimpse of the despair that must be always not far away, despite all his gallantry and determination.  This episode did that....  the camera kept lingering on his face, looking so vulnerable, not daring to hope too much....

Gosh, this constant cutting is so disappointing.  Now you mention it, I also think Marion Ross's part was more developed and they must have edited that out...

Speaking of cutting, was it ever shown how Eckhart and son in car ever intercepted the bus and got Kimble out and into their car?  I was confused about that, and can't remember from my DVD recording if that is indeed part of the script.  Seems strange they would leave that to our imaginations, after their frantic chase after the bus... 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  @Pearlee -

I'm glad you both brought up about scenes being cut.  I though Marion Ross might have tried harder to convince her husband not to testify.   Also I wondered about Kimble getting off the bus and Eckhart and Timmy picking him up in their car.  I guess the producers thought we would assume they caught up and helped him and didn't need to show it.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I would love for you to watch the epi on your DVD and tell us what was cut! I only own Season 1 so I have only my memory for reference on this epi. Glad you agree you think Ross' role was cut and like @twinsister  I would like to know if there was more to that car scene, including a man  giving directions.

I watched Columbo on MeTV last night to see Rosemary Forsyth (my "rival" for DJ😉)  and that was so chopped up it was almost unbearable to watch.  I watched TF on YouTube, not  Me but these cuts are disgraceful!