Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "TIGER LEFT, TIGER RIGHT" DAVID JANSSEN LESLIE NEILSEN 2:00 A.M. EASTERN ME TV

fugep36sc12b.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern--  The Fugitive,  "Tiger Left, Tiger Right" David Janssen, Leslie Nielsen, Carol Rossen, Jeanne Bal, John Lasell, David Sheiner, James Noah

We've often comment here on how much things in these United States have changed since Fuge filming.  I'm frequently struck by how much is the same today!  This episode begins with a typical, sleepy suburban afternoon-- a man on a riding lawn mower, a little boy, probably bored, eager to show his balancing skills, doting mother observing from afar....

Spoiler
Heart-stopping moment when the little boy fell to the concrete-- wouldn't your first thought have been, his head?  They didn't seem concerned about that.  Kimble with his omnipotent medical skills immediately knew it was less serious, ha.  Janssen is so good with child actors, too.

Of course with Kimble involved, the scene quickly changes to one of expert medical assessment and rush to treatment...  A case of mistaken identity in which Kimble is believed to be the boy's wealthy father, results in kidnapping and further peril for Kimble...

I love Leslie Nielsen in this.  A physically imposing guy in real life, he portrays the injured kidnapper so perfectly.  That spunky, but awkward, dragging gait he has as the injured man is so right on, evoking pathos and looking so painful.  He's one of those ostensible "bad guys" in the Fuge, who isn't really bad, not really.    

fugep36sc17b.jpg

He's like a hurt, disillusioned child, who you want to reassure with phrases like, "It'll be all right". (ha).

fugep36sc03b.jpgCarol Rossen is expert, as usual, in a much less sympathetic part than in the violin virtuoso one.  Yes, she's been deprived all her life, wants to snatch some good times, etc.  I loathe the way she taunts and flirts with Kimble, casually.  So dishonoring to her husband.  Would like to know what others here think of the ending, by the way.

Carol Rossen was, of course, the daughter of famed, blacklisted director Robert Rossen ("The Hustler",  "All the King's Men",  "Lilith") who ultimately admitted his Communism. Have wondered what it must have been like to grow up in that household...

Jeanne Bal and John Lasell are, again, perfect casting for the affluent couple with a problematic marriage.  She is quiet, but observant, and so deeply likeable, and interestingly, more influential with her husband than she realizes.    Who else here relished that little scene that showed that?

fugep36sc23b.jpg

John Lasell often played smart, urban, very tightly-wound men, the very epitome of a Fifties or Sixties'  "man in the gray flannel suit",  so ideal for this part.

fugep36sc24b.jpg

I also liked the policemen, the priest and the telephone guy!  Unlike some recent episodes, no lack of exemplary characters.

A lot to dig into in this episode...

Here it is, streaming free online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN3wSL0DsEE

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "TIGER LEFT, TIGER RIGHT" DAVID JANSSEN LESLIE NEILSEN 2:00 A.M. EASTERN

I watched this one a few days ago and was surprised at how little I had remembered of it, including a rather surprising development near the end. It isn't a favorite of mine (although I agree Neilson gives a great performance) so I didn't watch it over and over again, like I did other episodes during these past 50+ years. As I watched it, I did wonder whether Neilson received an Emmy for his performance, or was at least nominated for one!

I did like Jeanne Bal's character very much (@Tique, this is a good strong woman character for you!) And I laughed out loud when early in the episode she looks longingly at Kimble, in the way women often do! 😍😛🤩

@Oznell. John Lasell was in so many TV shows back then.I think your description of him is perfect. So was the policeman with the receding hairline in so many shows back then.

@Tique I was just reminded --- did you pick a show quote for last week's episode?

I give this one a B- .
Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "TIGER LEFT, TIGER RIGHT" DAVID JANSSEN LESLIE NEILSEN 2:00 A.M. EASTERN

I'm ready!!  ME TV is changing their schedule a bit, but I was happy to see that The Fuge is still on!!

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness it's still on! Wish they'd move it into prime time!

@twinsister. Kimble uses his doctor skills again tonight! 😄

This is another episode where I don't really "get" its title.
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell I forgot to add that I don't recognize Carol Rossen at all.  Was she mostly a TV actress?  Will have to look her up on IMDB.  When you mentioned her father and The Hustler, it brought back a childhood memory.  My dad wanted to see The Hustler and I'm sure my mom didn't, but she she went and so did I.  I can still remember asking my mother every five minutes if the movie was over!  She was as bored as I was and we kept going to the concession stand for hot dogs, Bon-Bons and drinks. Thanks for the memory - LOL!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee  - When I saw the picture of Kimble holding the boy, I thought "here we go again"!!

Honored Contributor

Rossen is in several Fuges.
Honored Contributor

Oh, you are so right, @Pearlee ,  he should at least have been nominated.  Such a heart-felt and "true" performance, right down to the last detail...

Chuckles for the almost mandated "adoring look" for Dr. K, ha.  In addition to loving her character, I also liked her last line spoken to her husband at the end...

Golly, @twinsister , I didn't know ME was changing their schedule, I will have to look at my guide...

Yeah, Carol Rossen was in everything.  "Cannon",  "Mannix",  "The Invaders" (I think), and if I'm remembering correctly, she was in about 5 different Fuge episodes, believe it or not!  Maybe 4, not sure.

Ha, ha, I'd have reacted the same way to "The Hustler"--  yawn!  Cute story, @twinsister .   Her Dad was a good director though, "All the King's Men" has been compared to Italian "realist" cinema, very brilliant camera work, etc.  Even "Lilith" was quirkily good, although apparently he and Warren Beatty were at great odds and some feel it affected the film....

Honored Contributor

Oh, @Pearlee ,  I forgot your comment about the title.  I was assuming that it meant, on one side, he faced a tiger (great peril) from the kidnapping; and on the other side, he faced peril from the police, who if they "rescued" him would surely also discover (as they did) that he was the infamous wanted fugitive...  So hazard on the left, hazard on the right.  Boxed in.

But I'm open to other interpretations!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. I'll have to listen for Bal's last line spoken to her husband. I did like the ending but am not recalling that line.

Yes, Rossen was in I'd also say 4 or 5 Fuges. Playing very different characters.