Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "THREE CHEERS FOR LITTLE BOY BLUE" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

fugep66sc16b.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern--  The Fugitive, "Three Cheers for Little Boy Blue"   David Janssen, Richard Anderson, Fay Spain, Milton Selzer, Ed Asner, Woodrow Parfrey, DeForest Kelley,  Doris Singleton, Vaughn Taylor

Kimble is the trusted driver and confidante of a very successful entrepreneur, George Forster (Richard Anderson).  They've returned to George's hometown amid much fanfare, to further plans for economic development there. 

Little do they know, though, that the town is a churning cauldron of old acquaintances, each of whom may have resentments and perhaps evil intent, toward George.  And as usual, Kimble's protective instincts will put him in the thick of that....

fugep66sc34b.jpg

Interesting cast.  I believe Richard Anderson appeared on the Fugitive a total of 6 times.  Here, his rather "low-key" personality is a somewhat good fit for the character, who at times seems very recessive and passive for a supposedly hard-charging business type!  But he isn't always recessive:

fugep66sc24b.jpg

His love interest, "Nora" (Fay Spain) has some nifty dialog, tart and rueful, as the girl who got left behind.  Does she remind anyone else of a youngish, more raw, Joanne Woodward? 

fugep66sc10b.jpg

My favorite here is veteran character player Milton Selzer, "Ben" who has romantic problems of his own, with taunting wife "Janet" (Doris Singleton, of "I Love Lucy" fame):

fugep66sc33b.jpg

I love the expressive Milton Selzer in anything.

DeForest Kelley is another favorite ("Bones",  from "Star Trek" of course),  and we get way too little of him.

fugep66sc41b.jpg

"Roy",  (Ed Asner) unburdens himself to Kimble:

fugep66sc36b.jpg

I was surprised to read that Asner made some unflattering comments about cast members, including David Janssen. Not seemly.

As always, some actions in the plot seem inexplicable, and frankly unbelievable.  But the suspense cooks, and there's another thing about the episode that appeals.  It's fun when Kimble gets to have an equal, positive relationship with someone who could be considered a peer, in terms of intellect, integrity and warm regard.  He at least has that, however briefly, with George...

OK, this is getting ridiculous!  The free streaming video of this, by "Lee's Classic Movies",  had a maddening stretch of failed audio, AGAIN!   So I found one other free youtube, which does not have that flub, but I don't know how the rest of the recording is.  I'd try this one first, and if there's anything wonky, you can always resort to "Lee's".

"Three Cheers for Little Boy Blue":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbVH7VoY5Xg

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "THREE CHEERS FOR LITTLE BOY BLUE" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  I had been watching the very link you posted, from Alchin Unibrow's (obviously a made up name, get it?)  site before you posted and there were no issues with the video quality -- it was perfect. Yay!

Boy there were a lot of repeat TF performers in this one and the rest were stock 1960s character actors.  For one,  Vaughn Taylor from Psycho in his 2nd Fuge appearance. The sheriff in this epi is a dead ranger  for Mr. Bean (can't recall that British comedian's real name right now). 

Boy this small Midwestern town was depressing!

ETA Now that you mention it, I can see a resemblance between FaycSpain and Joanne Woodward, but Spain had a very common appearance for this era, including looking like her colleague in this epi, Singleton.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "THREE CHEERS FOR LITTLE BOY BLUE" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN

I guess that's the same one I watched earlier today because I also had no problem with audio.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

Oh, good, thanks @Pearlee and @Tique for confirming that the one I posted ("Unibrow", ha), is intact all the way through.  I figured it probably was, but wasn't prepared to turn around and watch the whole recording again all the way through to find out!

That other site does seem to be deliberately voiding the audio (always at a very exciting and important scene) in almost every episode....

Yes, that sheriff (Woodrow Parfrey) is a character, @Pearlee--  he has such an eerie, soft, distinctive voice.  Don't know if he made any, but with that voice he would have been perfect for horror films....  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Alchin (like all chin) Unibrow. Sheesh.

The Lee's Classics ones only got bad a few weeks ago. Until then they were OK.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Oznell  I had been watching the very link you posted, from Alchin Unibrow's (obviously a made up name, get it?)  site before you posted and there were no issues with the video quality -- it was perfect. Yay!

Boy there were a lot of repeat TF performers in this one and the rest were stock 1960s character actors.  For one,  Vaughn Taylor from Psycho in his 2nd Fuge appearance. The sheriff in this epi is a dead ranger  for Mr. Bean (can't recall that British comedian's real name right now). 

Boy this small Midwestern town was depressing!

ETA Now that you mention it, I can see a resemblance between FaycSpain and Joanne Woodward, but Spain had a very common appearance for this era, including looking like her colleague in this epi, Singleton.

The name I was trying to think of is Rowan Atkinson.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell. Where did you  see that Ed Asner said not nice things about DJ?

By the way.. next week's epi is the 2nd Suzanne Pleshette one.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched the YouTube version.  It was nice not to have audio missing.

Will comment tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee, it was in one of the user reviews of the episode on Imdb.  The reviewer posted some quotes of Ed Asner from a book by Mel Procter, something like "A Fan's Guide to the Fugitive" or similar.  Asner was quoted, among other things, as saying it was painful to watch DJ "grimacing" etc. -- his point being that DJ should have played it differently, remained unruffled when police were around, etc.  There were more negative comments.  Rather surprising poor form to downgrade the people you worked with and who hired you.

@twinsister,  glad you also had no problems with video.  Sounds like more people are watching the videos as opposed to METV now....        

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Oznell. Where did you  see that Ed Asner said not nice things about DJ?

By the way.. next week's epi is the 2nd Suzanne Pleshette one.

@Pearlee  when I was watching the video which @Oznell  posted today I laughed when I saw her with "the pineapple on her head" and wondered when she would be appearing next. Feel like I wished her up. Hope I enjoy it better than the first one.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~