Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "THE JUDGMENT -PART 2" METV 2:00 A.M. 4/18 D. JANSSEN

[ Edited ]

The Fugitive "The Judgment - Part 2"  starring David Janssen, costarring Diane Baker, Richard Anderson, Jacqueline Scott, J.D. Cannon, Bill Raisch, Louise Latham, Barry Morse, and Diane Brewster as Helen Kimble

As I mentioned last week, it appears this is on YouTube; sorry I can't post links but it's easy to find.  I hope MeTv's editing hasn't butchered this epi too much.

I fully intended to do my usual preview thread today --- until I watched this epi again last night and realized giving any kind of summary of the epi would involve spoilers. Having come this far, i really want whoever hasn't seen what happens or who can't remember much of it, to experience all of it -- with its surprises-- first hand.  I will say that you will see in flashback what The Girl From Little Egypt did not show, i.e. the rest of what happened at the Kimbles' house the night of Helen's murder. I will also say that there is something in the Epilog --a "moment"--that is always the first thing that comes to mind during these past 55 years when I think of the ending.

I always remember there are some pretty preposterous things that happen and watching last night reminded me that there are major ones and also more minor ones. Even so, this epi with all its flaws is really good and exciting.  There is a great deal of fodder for discussion on Monday.

By the way, the Narrator's last sentence includes a date.  The date on my complete set disk has the correct date -August 29, 1967- as the correct date this show first  aired.  If in the version you watch the Narrator gives a September date, the 5th I think, that was dubbed in as the date the last show aired in Canada, for the Canadian audience.  I've read that some people have seen that version here in the USA too. I don't know which MeTV  and YouTube have.

@Tique   You have been a dear, and such a tremendous help, posting photos every week. Thank you so much.  My preference would be that you don't post any for this epi, and esp not from the Epilog, so as not to possibly spoil anything.  

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "THE JUDGMENT -PART 2" METV 2:00 A.M. 4/18 D. JANSSEN

If recording this show, reminder to set DVR!

Esteemed Contributor

The day the running stopped!!!

@Pearlee The ME TV version had William Conrad use the September 5th date.  I'm glad you mentioned it in your post, because I would have been confused.  I remember the date being August 29th.

Such a great episode!  The only part I remembered was the ending at the amusement park.  I'm surprised that Gerard gave Kimble the extra time to help him.  Also surprised that Gerard didn't call for the police to meet them at the amusement park.  It's funny that whenever he would show up at other towns, he would give orders to their police, but in his own town, he didn't ask for help.  Guess he wanted to show that he brought Kimble in on his own.

Johnson didn't know Chandler by name, so how could he identify him to the police? Chandler arranging for Johnson's bail seemed a bit implausibe to me.   I think the police wouldn't have believed a war hero watched Johnson kill Kimble's wife.

All in all, a good way to wrap it up and it was nice to see Kimble walk off to his happily ever after future with Jeannie.

One trivial thing that made me laugh - Donna sitting in her formal living room cleaning peas or beans and then going into her kitchen! Looked like she was reading something.  It just seemed silly to me,

It's been fun ladies!

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I must admit I was trying to figure out what was happening through out much of the episode.

I had no idea who LLoyd Chandler was. I had missed the first 6 or so episodes in the beginning. So I wondered if I missed him in the beginning. But as the episode went on, the writers helped me to figure it out.

The scene with shelling the peas in the living room seemed odd as @twinsister said.  

And I liked the kids piling out of the station wagon. Brought back memories when my parents had their station wagon.

I also wondered what amusement park they were running through. And for them to be up on that tower. I bet their insurance company was holding it's breath.

The finale tied things up very nicely. Lt. Gerard didn't seem like a jerk for once. And the "bad guy" wasn't going to bother Kimball anymore.

I missed it. What reason did the one arm guy say to Kimball as to why he killed Kimball's wife?

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla - Johnson said he killed his wife because she wouldn't let him leave.  She kept attacking him.  

Also, I didn't know who Chandler was either, but I don't think he was ever shown in earlier episodes.  @Pearlee would know the answer to that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@twinsister   @drizzellla  Yes, the day the running stopped! PHOEY on MeTV using the Sept 5 Canadian air date.👎 Thanks for letting me know Twinsister.

Neither Chandler nor Jeanne had ever been in the series before, a major disappointment about the ending. (J.D. Cannon had been in a previous epi as a different character). And although it's great all loose ends were tied up, these characters were fairly implausible (what -- Kimble and Jeanne fell in love in 5 minutes?)  Awww he ends up with a young hometown girl who will presumeably give Kimble children but really, in terms of chemistry, Janice Rule, Susan Oliver, and Pleshette had much more with Kimble so it was a disapppointment to many fans of the show that he ended up with Baker. And Chandler?  His whole deal was not really credible. I do like the solution of someone else having been in the house as a witness but it would have been more effective if it had been Len Taft, a character we've seen over the whole series.  It was also not plausible that Chandler went to kill Johnson (and how did Chandler know his name?) to get rid of him. After Chandler confessed to his wife,  killing Johnson wouldn't have kept his cowardly secret still a secret!

Yes, Johnson said he killed Helen "because she wouldn't let go."

So he bashed her with a lamp.  Although I'm certain in an earlier episode  they had said she had been strangled!

I think it was pretty darn cool that Gerard killed  the 1-armed man he never believed in. I liked at the end that the police car drives up and KImble looks scared for a minute. I did hate that after some great writing, esp in early shows, the dialogue ends with "Hey."  Really?

The "moment" I think of first when I think of the ending is Gerard extending his hand to Kimble and Kimble hesitating and then deciding to shake Gerard's hand. Very memorable.

OK now the bad news. I find it really implausible that Gerard gave Kimble  the 24 hrs extention, after obsessively trying to capture him for 4 yrs. Also implausible is Gerard giving Kimble his gun to go get Johnson. And so is Johnson climbing the tower. That was very exciting but so stupid because where could he go? He'd be trapped up there!  LOL about Donna in the formal living room shucking green beans. Jacqueline was just terrific as Kimble's sister. She really does look like DJ  but did even more so with dark not reddish hair.. They should have made her dye it back.  Also she had 2 sons earlier. The one from last night, Johnny Jensen, had been in an earlier epi too. I think he was that terrific kid who was "different" and kept talking about dead things.

Yes that station wagon brought  back lots of memories. It looked huge...like a limosine!

This has been fun as twinsister said. Four years! I'll miss our weekly discussion of my favorite TV show ever!

Regular Contributor

I liked the ending of the chase and enjoyed the series. Very neatly tied up plus Kimble was finally free.  

Yes, there were flaws such as Gerard giving Kimble 24 hours to find Johnson, but last weeks epi did give Gerard pause as to the one armed bandit he thought all along Kimble was making up, so in the sixties, it might be plausible plus DJ did give the enough notice to his leaving the show so In a way it did make some sense.  

Personally, I don't care to delve or overthink it.  After all it's just a TV show.

All in all I did like the series.  

Honored Contributor

@chloe4578   I'm happy you liked the series. I'm glad you referenced the doubts Gerard started having last week about Kimble's guilt when he caught Johnson lying about being in Stafford around the time of Helen's death. Since I knew that this week Gerard was going to give Kimble the 24 hrs, I purposely asked last week whether Johnson's interview started Gerard having doubts about Kimble's guilt. I thought it would make this week's 24 hr reprieve Gerard gave Kimble at least a little more credible.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

The day the running stopped!!!

@Pearlee The ME TV version had William Conrad use the September 5th date.  I'm glad you mentioned it in your post, because I would have been confused.  I remember the date being August 29th.

Such a great episode!  The only part I remembered was the ending at the amusement park.  I'm surprised that Gerard gave Kimble the extra time to help him.  Also surprised that Gerard didn't call for the police to meet them at the amusement park.  It's funny that whenever he would show up at other towns, he would give orders to their police, but in his own town, he didn't ask for help.  Guess he wanted to show that he brought Kimble in on his own.

Johnson didn't know Chandler by name, so how could he identify him to the police? Chandler arranging for Johnson's bail seemed a bit implausibe to me.   I think the police wouldn't have believed a war hero watched Johnson kill Kimble's wife.

All in all, a good way to wrap it up and it was nice to see Kimble walk off to his happily ever after future with Jeannie.

One trivial thing that made me laugh - Donna sitting in her formal living room cleaning peas or beans and then going into her kitchen! Looked like she was reading something.  It just seemed silly to me,

It's been fun ladies!

@twinsister   I've been thinking about your excellent question (gee, there sure was a lot packed into the 2 epi ending!)  Well I think he'd be willing to do quite a bit to get $50,000 (a heck of a lot back then).

Johnson thought Chandler was Len Taft. If he did want to identify him to police he could give a description to a police sketch artist. Or, figuring he must know Len Taft somehow, just follow Taft around or keep an eye on their house/ neighborhood til Chandler showed up.

Of course he wouldn't want to identify Chandler unless he was caught first since Johnson is the murderer and he'd be implicating himself.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - there was an interesting post on Facebook today about the Fuge.  The very first episode starring Brian Keith was set in Phoenix.  Someone else then noted that the beginning of the two part finale was set in Phoneix, so it is like in a way things came full circle.  I don't remember the first episode titled Fear in Desert City with Keith as a vengeful character.  I'm guessing you remember it!