Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "THE GARDEN HOUSE" DAVID JANSSEN PEGGY MCCAY MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

MV5BNWY2ZTE3N2QtMDYwYS00MjM1LWEwN2UtZDVlMjZiYjc1YjI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern--  The Fugitive  "The Garden House".   David Janssen,  Peggy McCay,  Pippa Scott,  Robert Webber

This is one of the more intense, compelling, and touching of the episodes.  Kimble is a horse trainer amid the affluent, 'horsey' set in Connecticut.  His employer, a sweet, guileless woman, is a newspaper heiress (played with sensitivity by Peggy McCay) with serious self-esteem issues. 

MV5BMDRhZWM2OWEtMDlhOC00ZTI5LTkwZmMtOWU3NDRmMGQwNzM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

This is in stark contrast to her brittle, unscrupulous sister (Pippa Scott), a professional photographer.  This sister, and McCay's husband (handsome, suave Robert Webber) are secret lovers and involved in even darker schemes to wrest the newspaper and the fortune away for themselves...

MV5BNWY2ZTE3N2QtMDYwYS00MjM1LWEwN2UtZDVlMjZiYjc1YjI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg    

Of course, Kimble starts to notice the subtle gamesmanship of the sister and husband who systematically and heartlessly undermine the faltering confidence of McCay.  Kimble works with her on her horsemanship with his trademark gentleness, and tries to twig her to the unholy alliance in her household, but instead becomes himself the target of the amoral duo...

Kimble has a rapport based on trust, with the timid heiress.  He helps her find the strength to do more than retreat to her customary garden "safe house" (shown below), filled with childhood mementos and ineffectual fantasy....

MV5BZjg3ZTdlZDMtNmE0Mi00YWNkLTk2ZGYtMzAzYjI1MTg0ZTY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg 

A very memorable episode with haunting film noir overtones, helped no doubt, by the fact that it is one of the ones directed by screen legend Ida Lupino!   A "don't miss."

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "THE GARDEN HOUSE" DAVID JANSSEN PEGGY MCCAY MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN MET

@Oznell wrote:

2:00 a.m. Eastern--  The Fugitive  "The Garden House".   David Janssen,  Peggy McCay,  Pippa Scott,  Robert Webber

This is one of the more intense, compelling, and touching of the episodes.  Kimble is a horse trainer amid the affluent, 'horsey' set in Connecticut.  His employer, a sweet, guileless woman, is a newspaper heiress (played with sensitivity by Peggy McCay) with serious self-esteem issues. 

MV5BMDRhZWM2OWEtMDlhOC00ZTI5LTkwZmMtOWU3NDRmMGQwNzM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

This is in stark contrast to her brittle, unscrupulous sister (Pippa Scott), a professional photographer.  This sister, and McCay's husband (handsome, suave Robert Webber) are secret lovers and involved in even darker schemes to wrest the newspaper and the fortune away for themselves...

Of course, Kimble starts to notice the subtle gamesmanship of the sister and husband who systematically and heartlessly undermine the faltering confidence of McCay.  Kimble works with her on her horsemanship with his trademark gentleness, and tries to twig her to the unholy alliance in her household, but instead becomes himself the target of the amoral duo...

Kimble has a rapport based on trust, with the timid heiress.  He helps her find the strength to do more than retreat to her customary garden "safe house" (shown below), filled with childhood mementos and ineffectual fantasy....

MV5BZjg3ZTdlZDMtNmE0Mi00YWNkLTk2ZGYtMzAzYjI1MTg0ZTY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg 

A very memorable episode with haunting film noir overtones, helped no doubt, by the fact that it is one of the ones directed by screen legend Ida Lupino!   A "don't miss."

@Oznell   I will go to my set, find this, and watch it, can't remember if I have seen it until I watch.  How does a doctor become an instant horse trainer, lol, impossible in real life.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "THE GARDEN HOUSE" DAVID JANSSEN PEGGY MCCAY MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN MET

@mousiegirl  Woman Happy I had to laugh at your remark.  It's true, Dr. Kimball found some very interesting jobs during his 5-yr run from the relentess Lt. Gerard. 

@Oznell Thanks for the head up.  I can't recall the names of the episodes, but remember many of them quite well from first run and rewatching over the years through reruns.  With these new hours we're living on I should be able to watch this episode.  Actually, thanks for letting me know that reruns of The Fugitive are running at that time slot in the wee hours of Monday morning. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  -You mentioned this episode to me last week when I commented on the Little Egypt episode, so my DVR is already set!  Looking forward to it.  Thans again.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. I remember this one very well, have seen it many times. It is a really good one, although McCay plays the timid sister borderline too timid and self-effacing to be believable, that anyone could be so down on herself as well as unaware. She pulls it off, but just barely before not being believable.

And here's a Pippa we heard of long before Middleton!
Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @mousiegirl and @Trix ,  so true.  Dr. Kimble was very, very versatile, was he not?  Lucky for him.  He also developed a kind of social fluidity in which he managed to "fit in" to almost any milieu in which he was placed.

I can remember one episode out of several where he actually got to openly practise medicine-- the one where there was a medical emergency, and an urban hospital was thrilled to get his services, no questions asked.  Tatum O'Neal's mother, the lovely Joanna Moore, I think, was the obligatory ward nurse who was 'wowed' by him....

I enjoyed that you came back and gave your feedback on those episodes you watched, @twinsister -- hope you'll do the same if you see this one.  (No pressure, ha!)

Spot on--you made a very discerning comment, @Pearley , --  I had a similar reaction.  It was almost too much that the Peggy McCay character was so self-deprecating, putting herself down all the time.  But I agree, she was a skilled enough actress that she still engaged your sympathy, and you could see why she was the way she was....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. I watched this again last night. It reminds me of another episode where a rich woman is in a wheelchair and her husband is plotting to kill her but Kimble saves her too.
I think he's a chauffeur in that one.

Pippa Scott really reminds me physically of a young Nanette Fabres!
Honored Contributor

Yes, she does, @Pearlee ,  with similar angular features!

I just watched this recording, and was annoyed to see they somehow mistakenly edited out part of the party scene.  You do get to see the last part of it, with Pippa Scott flirting with Kimble in the barn-like space, then Robert Webber arriving, then them leaving and Kimble overhearing the conspirators talking...  But before all that, I'm sure there's an indoor party scene, with Peggy McCay in a glamorous dress, etc.   Grrrr.

I think I remember the similar episode-- maybe it occurs much later in the series, and I think Marlyn Mason plays the "other" woman in it, a cabaret singer or something...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. Thanks for mentioning that edit. I thought "whaaaat"?
Honored Contributor

@Oznell I got curious about that other similar episode so I tracked it down. Goodbye My Love from the last season 1967. Yes, Marlyn Mason (great memory) was the other woman to Jack Lord and they wanted to kill his rich wheelchair-bound wife.

Mason dated Kimble as part of their plot. She was a singer at the place where Kimble worked. Kimble was a parking valet not a chauffeur (well he was a chauffeur a time or two in other episodes! LOL). Really this plot is quite similar to last night's episode and is equally good. The wheelchair wife has more backbone than Anne last night did though.