Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "THE EVIL MEN DO" D. JANSSEN MONDAY 12/ 27 2:00 A.M. ET METV

"The Evil Men Do" starring David Janssen, co-starring repeat Fugers James Daly, Elizabeth Allen, David Sheiner, and everyone's "favorite" Barry Morse

We are now in 1967 shows.

In the Poconos of PA, Kimble, who works at a luxurious estate where horses are trained, has been recognized driving a station wagon by law enforcement. Lt Gerard has been called in and, as usual, is bossing around the local officers. (I love Gerard, esp his hands-on-his-hips pose and looks of disgust! 😄 )

Early on, in a too-brief scene to be quite credible, Kimble saves the life of his boss, Brame (an excellent James Daly) who insists on paying Kimble back. [Here the epi reminds me of the one where Kimble saves Steven Hill in the plane crash].

Gerard recognizes the name Brame as a mob killer and is told by law enforcement that Brame now owns legitimate businesses, all backed by the mob.  We also learn from Brame himself that he is an avid hunter and enjoys killing. Gerard says "once a killer, always a killer."  So you can probably guess how Brame decides to pay Kimble back.

Although this epi IMO is "OK" but not a favorite (some scenes are too drawn out and therefore "draggy" which is the director's fault) there is at least one big highlight --  Gerard's assessment of Kimble at the end which is very interesting. I also like the development of Elizabeth Allen's character, and I like what is said in the Epilog.

There are, of course, parts of this epi that are not credible, and as usual, Kimble risks capture to take the moral high road.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "THE EVIL MEN DO" D. JANSSEN MONDAY 12/ 27 2:00 A.M. ET METV

Epilog Picture

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tique  Thanks for the photos. I love the second one especially, that look on Gerard's face. 😄  All excellent choices.👍 In the 3rd photo, check out Elizabth Allen's white "these boots were made for walkin'."

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed this episode.  Kimble did double duty of putting others first by saving two lives. Going back to save Gerard was implausible for me, but that was the formula for Kimble.

Gerard was his usual bossy self, but I did like his comments about Kimble in the epilog.

I think by resisting Brame's various offers to repay him for saving his life, Kimble made himself look suspicious.  I know it wasn't in his nature, but he should have taken a cash reward and disappear.  

I liked the location setting and Brame's house.  

@Pearlee - I noticed Elizabeth Allen's white boots!

Honored Contributor

How could I have missed the white boots?

We went on a 1,200 mile trip. And that Nancy Sinatra song was played 3 times during the trip. Don't know why that one song stood out in my memory.

It is me, but every episode that Gerard is in, annoys me. And last night's episode, as soon as I saw him, I knew he would bug me. And he did.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

I enjoyed this episode.  Kimble did double duty of putting others first by saving two lives. Going back to save Gerard was implausible for me, but that was the formula for Kimble.

Gerard was his usual bossy self, but I did like his comments about Kimble in the epilog.

I think by resisting Brame's various offers to repay him for saving his life, Kimble made himself look suspicious.  I know it wasn't in his nature, but he should have taken a cash reward and disappear.  

I liked the location setting and Brame's house.  

@Pearlee - I noticed Elizabeth Allen's white boots!

All interesting observations @twinsister . Glad you notuced the boots. 😀  I too am glad you liked Gerard's remarks about Kimble at the end.  I agree with Kimble made himself suspicious by not asking much from Brame (just a month's severance pay).

One thing that I never "got" about this epi is the way Gerard set out to basically execute Brame. Gerard chased him down to kill him. He didn't think to call for backup nor worse, never shouted out to Brame to drop his gun or "stop or I'll shoot" or any such thing. Yes Brame was trying to kill Gerard but still, Getatd just stalked him down without usual police procedure.

As I said above, I liked that Elizabeth Allen realized  Brame was trying to kill Gerard for his own enjoyment, not for Kimble. It was then a little disappointing that she was still wistful about him when she asked Gerard why he chose to kill Brame, not Kimble. 

Kimble going to warn Gerard that Brame was trying to kill him was not credible but did make good drama.

I'm finding these mid 1960s shows looking so much more modern, esp the vehicles, than the early 1960s shows that looked like ancient history,  not even 5 years earlier.

Regular Contributor

@twinsister 

My thoughts exactly.  I really liked this episode and have nothing more to say except the prologue gave away the essentials of the story.

@Tique Like the photos posted.  Perfect! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chloe4578 wrote:

@twinsister 

My thoughts exactly.  I really liked this episode and have nothing more to say except the prologue gave away the essentials of the story.

@Tique Like the photos posted.  Perfect! 

@chloe4578   I agree the Prologue gave away too much. Glad you mentioned that.  Any particular reason you liked this epi?

Regular Contributor

@drizzellla 

You're not alone.  I never could stand Gerards presence in any episode I have seen of 
TF.  I don't believe Gerard had any jurisdiction to just go wherever he wanted, take over any police force he wanted, or arrest Kimble anywhere he wanted.  He didn't have that kind of power.  So his presence  and attitude is really annoying.  He's only a Lt.  He doesn't run the police force and would need special permission which he never seems to have.

As for the oft mentioned white boots, I saw them on the model Twiggy and had to have them.  Finally I found them in Bloomingdales for $125 and bought them.  Really loved those boots and wore them to death.  Never owned another pair of white boots in my life.

Regular Contributor

@Pearlee 

That's a good question since I did find the first few minutes to be boring. But it did pick up later on.  The acting and scenic design and the storyline was very good.  I have found the 4th season to be more sophisticated in the writings and acting.  Maybe because DJ had more clout in the production or that he was leaving a hit show that could have gone on for another four years.  I don't know, but I really have been enjoying this season.