Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "THE END IS BUT THE BEGINNING" D. JANSSEN BARBARA BARRIE MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

[ Edited ]

205657.jpg

Monday 2:00 a.m. Eastern--  "The End is But the Beginning"  David Janssen, Barbara Barrie, Andrew Duggan, Barry Morse, Frank Maxwell, Robert Yuro, Paul Birch

Nice little domestic scene above, no?   This is one of those rare episodes that gives Kimble the chance to possibly convince Lieutenant Gerard that he is no longer available to be chased, shall we say?  Don't want to divulge more for fear of giving away too much!

The down side, for me, is, that it's one where Gerard very much makes his presence count for something, relentless bloodhound that he is. 

The up side is the presence of Barbara Barrie as "Amy", a terrific actress who appeared onscreen often in the Sixties and Seventies.  She was often associated with off-beat projects, as well as regular series' TV (she was Hal Linden's mostly off-screen wife on "Barney Miller".) 

A critic once said of Dana Andrews, that it was almost impossible for him to play an unintelligent character;  Barbara Barrie is another of those, to me.  She has a fluid, intuitive quality.  Love the little skip she gives after it appears that she and Kimble, as "Steve Younger",  will be going out together....

She's a goner for Kimble:

MV5BMzZhMTdhMWMtZDQwMS00MGExLWFkOTMtZmE3MzM1YTY5Y2Q3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjI3NTc5ODY@._V1_.jpg

And another facet of a domestic scene-- I thought we should be able to see D.J.'s briefly smiling face too--

MV5BMmYxZjhmNGQtMTQ1Yy00MGE2LTg1MGUtODYwYzdlMzVhZDFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg 

But for all of Amy's smarts in the episode, what did you think of her first big slip-up with Gerard?  That was a needless error, I thought.  Why do you suppose it was made?

Two more pluses--  "Captain Carpenter",  (Paul Birch),  Gerard's supervisor, makes one of his appearances.  I've said before, I like the reassuringly stolid "groundedness" of Captain Carpenter, especially as contrasted with the quixotic- bordering-on-nutty singlemindedness of Gerard.....

Spoiler
Isn't it funny that even Gerard references his "obsessiveness" in this episode?  I'm sure some of you got a kick out of that, as did I!

And finally, what a sweet, 'dozy' cat!  I have a feeling they must have tranquillized that cutie, to be as still and malleable as he was on that counter, except for his one little excursion.  When he was on the counter, he almost looked like he was "glued" right next to the fruit bowl, the poor little sweetheart...   Kimble's comment about him later was funny too.

Suspenseful, 'touch and go' episode....

hqdefault.jpg

Edited to add--  Oops, almost forgot to post the streaming free youtube of the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QajoiFxdf4 

Honored Contributor

who is that kid in your avatar with the top hat on ?

@Oznell    who is that kid in your avatar with the top hat on ?

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "THE END IS BUT THE BEGINNING" D. JANSSEN BARBARA BARRIE MONDAY 2:00 A.M.

@SharkE,   that is the very young Clara Bow, from "Down to the Sea in Ships".    I had forgotten who she was, for awhile, then somebody else asked who she was, and intrepid @dooBdoo  came to the rescue and re-identified her for me!   I think she was playing a stowaway.

I thought she was amusing in her top hat, and that little pout.  She reminded me so much of photos of my mother as a child-- my mother had black, curly hair and round cheeks.

This picture of Clara Bow looks even more like my mother at that age--

l-500x394.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "THE END IS BUT THE BEGINNING" D. JANSSEN BARBARA BARRIE MONDAY 2:00 A.M.

And back to the thread subject....

I really like this episode, with the small exception of the few minutes of laughably bad acting at the end by one of the guest stars.

I like that this is one of the few episodes when Kimble identifies himself rather willingly (this isn't really a spoiler because you know that at the introductory opening scene), I like the domestic scene like the photo @Oznell  posted of Kimble making breakfast,

I like that yes, Barara Barrie clearly likes Kimble but doesn't throw herself at him desperately like Pleshette did, and I liked the high drama at the end.  I even liked all the expressions on Gerard's face; I think he was great in his role as being so obsessed with Kimble's capture.

Like oznell, I liked the little skip Barrie did when Kimble agreed to go out with her, and his remark about the cat.

Barbara Barrie was a prolific TV actress in this era. I always think of Amy Wright (if you know who that is) getting Barrie-type parts later in the 1980s and 1990s. Average looking with nice figure, not glamorous so unusually not a romantic interest but rather a sister or neighbor.  I have not seen Barrie in many lead-romantic interest roles.

Frank Maxwell was another actor in tons of TV shows during this era, usually playing a policeman.  I think there was a stable of actors type-cast as policemen who made the rounds of TV shows back then. Another was Regis Toomey.

Esteemed Contributor

I would skip a little too if I was going out with Kimble, but I think @Pearlee would be doing somersaults!!

I remember Barbara Barrie from one of my favorite Route 66 episodes in which she played a blind girl who falls in love with George Maharis.  @Oznell - have you seen that one?

I like the pictures of RK being "domestic".

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla @chloe4578   missed you last week but understand this time of the year can be busier than normal not to mention all the things that continue to make this year unique. Hope you'll rejoin us when you can. 

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

@twinsister  my age twin. I have a thread in Comm Chat about today being the 57th anniv of JFK's assassination. The Fugitive went on the air in 1963  in the fall of the assassination, just a couple of months before it. Soooooo long ago!

Honored Contributor

@Tique. If you have watched this epi yet, did you like it?

Honored Contributor

That "Route 66" sounds familiar, @twinsister , but for some reason I'm not bringing that one to mind.  (Making mental note to look for it if "Route 66" ever comes on again...)  She would be so well-cast in that type of role.  She did unexpected things, and took risks-- in the early 60's, she played a woman who married a black man, (Bernie Hamilton), with ensuing familial and legal drama, in "One Potato, Two Potato":

onepotatotwopotato_becauseyourwithme_fc_470x264_031620200710.jpg 

She was also, believe it or not, yet ANOTHER Fuge alumna with a big role in "The Invaders",  playing a strong-willed nurse treating a wounded alien, who first tangles with "David Vincent",  and then helps him....

Honored Contributor

Apropos of nothing, I like to see Sixties' kitchens like the one "Amy Rennick" has here.  The homey little touches, the spice shelf, familiar coffee pot, calendar on the wall, etc.

Amy's wardrobe was just right too-- the trim little skirt and blouse office ensembles that a secretary would wear...... and in the scene where she goes to the hotel room, I think --  her cute rain coat (can't remember if it was a trench?) and her pixie-ish little 60's haircut--  just perfect.