Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "TAPS FOR A DEAD WAR" DAVID JANSSEN, TIM O'CONNOR MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTER

Was the picture of DJ in uniform with that pompadour from a movie?   

This comedic episode coming up sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to it.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "TAPS FOR A DEAD WAR" DAVID JANSSEN, TIM O'CONNOR MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTER

@twinsister I don't know because @Oznell found it. But that is a good question because he is certainly in a different type of uniform than he is wearing in the photo with the hat which is the uniform I saw him wearing in the photo I found online and which looks like a lower military rank.
Honored Contributor

Oh, good question, @twinsister -- I just grabbed the image when I spotted it, so don't know the provenance.   Now that I think of it, that's a real possibility it was from a film.  I haven't seen them, but I think he made at least a couple of movies with a military setting...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  & @Pearlee  - the way he was posing with that big grin seemed unusual for a typical military portrait.  We know it wasn't from The Green Berets, because he was older when he made that movie.

Esteemed Contributor

I did some sleuthing and think I found the source of that picture.  DJ made a movie in 1956 called The Girl He Left Behind.  The stars were Tab Hunter and Natalie Wood.  He played a captain and there is a picture of him with Natalie  Wood and the uniform with medals looks the same.  He is wearing a hat, but he looks very similar to the one that was posted.

Sorry I can't post the link, but it is on IMDB.  Looks like in addition to The Green Berets, he only made two other military pictures.  This one and another titled Hell to Eternity.

Honored Contributor

I bet what happened with that picture of David Janssen and the pompadour. David Janssen had to do publisity pictures for an upcoming movie. With the shadow, it looks like the photographer was going for an appealing look. Plus it was a full body shot.

And whoever was doing David Janssen's hair, wanted to spend as much time with him as possible. So they went to the trouble of giving him a pompadour.

Honored Contributor

Cool, @twinsister and @drizzellla !    Fantastic detective work, @twinsister ,  makes total sense.  I love getting back stories like this, esp. on the fabulous DJ....

@drizzellla,  your speculation about that (undoubtedly) smitten hairdresser, angling to lavish as much attention on Janssen as possible with her "work-of-art" coiffure for him-- that made me laugh out loud, which I almost never do while reading! 

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla  - that was a good one!!! Can't blame the hairdresser - I would do the same!

@Oznell - it made me laugh out loud too!!

Honored Contributor

Natalie Wood and David Janssen in The Girl He Left Behind (1956)

Lot of 7, Tab Hunter Natalie Wood Alan King stills THE GIRL HE ...

1,644 David Janssen Photos and Premium High Res Pictures

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Esteemed Contributor

@Tique  - thanks!  Those were the pictures I had found.  Wish I was tech savvy and knew how to post.