Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "TAPS FOR A DEAD WAR" DAVID JANSSEN, TIM O'CONNOR MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

[ Edited ]

fugep25sc02.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern, Monday --  The Fugitive--  "Taps for a Dead War".   David Janssen, Tim O'Connor, Lee Grant, Flip Mark, Noam Pitlik

Working at a skating rink allows Kimble to help a young boy, and brings him into contact with the boy's uncle (Tim O'Connor), an injured Korean War veteran who recognizes Kimble from their shared past...

This episode allows us to briefly see Kimble's skating skills (he's good, natch!).  As @Pearlee pointed out, it also is a follow-on to last week's episode with "Peyton Place" alumnus, Ed Nelson.  It brings us two, count 'em, two more "Peyton Place"-ers,  Tim O'Connor and Lee Grant.

MV5BMWEzNjBlY2MtOTZlOS00Y2VlLWE5OWYtNjAwZDBiN2ZiNjA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

If you plan to watch episode, you may not want to read what's in spoiler till after viewing:

Spoiler
Tim O'Connor is appropriately abrasive as the very warped veteran who has harbored hatred until it has manifested in a nefarious scheme.  It's partly what made this one a bit of a miss-- the character is too much of a one-note for me.  Also somewhat hard to fathom is the relationship with his sister-in-law, played by the ever-capable Lee Grant.

As an aside, does it not seem to be weird that a widow would be living, long-term, with her late husband's brother?  I can't imagine setting up housekeeping with either of my brothers-in-law.  To me, there's an "ick" factor there, especially given the undercurrents between them, and even if she did want him around as a father figure for her boy (Flip Mark).

Anyway, I'm probably forgetting important nuances-- despite the acting fire power, the episode was not a favorite with me, therefore infrequently viewed. 

If Flip Mark looks familiar, he was one of the cute little foursome of brothers belonging to Doris Day in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies"....

fugep25sc04.jpg 

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "TAPS FOR A DEAD WAR" DAVID JANSSEN, TIM O'CONNOR MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTER

@Oznell. Agree 100% with your post. Except for ogling the handsome DJ there is no reason I'd watch this episode. As you say it is not a favorite and one I haven't watched much. It is depressing and O'Connor's character is over-the-top nasty to the point of being uncomfortable to watch.

GIven the date of the show when women were not as independent as they are today and also given the ending, I don't think it is as unusual as you do about having the brother-In-law around. Back in those days it was good "to have a man around the house" because women weren't real independent and also for the protection factor.

I'm blanking out though - not remembering a Lee Grant Peyton Place connection. The movie or TV show?

I only vaguely remember the skating scene. Are you sure it was DJ's skills all the way and not his stunt double? 😄

This one is a pass for me tonight.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "TAPS FOR A DEAD WAR" DAVID JANSSEN, TIM O'CONNOR MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTER

It was the TV series, @Pearlee .   Lee played "Stella Chernak",  a character who appeared during the 1965 and 1966 seasons.  She had quite the ups and downs, apparently, and even went out with Dr. Michael Rossi a few times. 

It was interesting-- I read something by Lee Grant that "Stella" was a good role for her at the time, since Stella was an angry, hurting character, and she, Lee Grant, was angry at the time because she had just come off the blacklist and was able to work again...  If I'm remembering right, her husband was a Communist party member or something, and I think she was blacklisted as an extension...

lee-and-ed-nelson-promo-shot-peyton-place-.jpg

It did occur to me that David Janssen might have had a stunt double for his graceful skating, but my very sketchy memory of it is, that he was facing forward during at least part of it, therefore less likely to be faked?  I'm going to watch if for no other reason than to catch that!  Will fast forward through the seething Tim O'Connor melt-downs.

Too bad, I've usually liked T. O'C. in other roles.  I'm going to blame it at least partly on the writing and direction in this episode!  He was good in the "Ticket to Alaska" one....

Honored Contributor

LOL @Oznell. Look to see whether in the DJ skating forward shots he is only shown from the waist up. I honestly don't remember the skating part in enough detail to know if it was DJ or not.

Gosh I truly don't remember Grant's character on PP at all, even though I did watch the show (to my prudish mother's consternation).
Esteemed Contributor

My DVR is set and I didn't read the spoiler.  I don't remember Lee Grant in Peyton Place, but she was in one of my favorite Columbo episodes.

Edited:  I tried to post this yesterday, but it didn't go through.  I won't have a chance to watch this until tonight.  We are babysitting BF's three little grandchildren today, so there is no way I can watch it while they are here.  I won't read any other posts until after I watch.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. Well because I fell asleep watching a good Columbo with Ruth Gordon on MeTV, I was later wide awake to watch The F. And am glad I did because I didn't dislike this episode as much as I remember I had although still think Tim O was over the top unlikeable.

LOL you were right oznell - it was DJ skating and he did a great job (he looked very slim too from sideways).

I think Tim did a good job explaining why he was at the Diner with his SIL -- to help but mostly protect her from the guys who think a cup of coffee entitles them to something. But how Lee Grant saw his loving and kind nature underneath his horrid behavior is beyond me.

Kimble had little to go on in such a short time to be as perceptive as he was so that strained credulity a bit. Good thought he had to track down the acid purchase!

DJ did excellent acting showing his internal struggle: reluctance to stay and endanger himself vs repaying a debt for saving his life. He was such a perfect Kimble as we have posted many times. I'm glad I watched this again.

@twinsister Grant was in a very good Columbo! Lawyer who takes Columbo for a plane ride, right? The actress who played her stepdaughter who was so excellent in that episode sadly died quite young.

Speaking of DJ looking slim from sideways, I was reading on a Fuge chat board once about fans who had encountered him in person and remembered one guy posting how much thinner he looked in person ( the guy had had a cup of coffee with him at an airport during the time The F was on TV).

Honored Contributor

Wow, @Pearlee ,  what an astute post about this episode.  You have such a penetrating eye for the Fuge!  I've just been watching it (well, alternately watching and fast forwarding) with my after lunch iced coffee.

Liked the skating!  And he did look slim and graceful.  I also did like the show a little better than I remembered, except for over-the-top Tim explosions. 

Your point about Kimble's torn feelings-- so accurate.

I'll put this part in spoiler bar just in case @Tique or @twinsister  or others wander in before seeing ep.:

Spoiler
That abrupt transition between a drunken, raving Tim and his grenade outside, and then the newly happy Tim and Lee, accepting the kind police officer's congrats and waving him off--- well, that was koo koo!   And that goes to what you alluded to-- the straining of credulity in the episode.  Somebody willing to throw disfiguring acid in someone else's face, even if he felt the other person had wronged him--  how could Lee Grant reconcile that with her perception of him as so sweet and kind, "inside"? That acid thing wasn't a moment's wild impulse-- it took planning and premeditation. 

If there had just been some lapse of time between his craziness and his "redemption" it'd be so much more believable....

Ah, well, the writing can't always be tip top!  I did like the brief opportunity to see a "sane" Tim at the end-- without a crazed stare-- and smiling-- Tim O'Connor did have a nice beaming smile when playing more "normal".... 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. Loved your post, esp the spoiler. Right on everything.

I'm glad you liked the episode better than you remembered it also. And thank you for your kind words.

Now pass me some of that iced coffee which sounds mighty good.
Honored Contributor

Well, I have to say this - in one hour they sure pack alot of drama.

You really have to pay attention or you miss important information. Must have been one hard show to do every week. Just the filming and dialogue, something always seems to be happening.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. After seeing it again last night, do you think the "ick" factor was less than you had remembered?

One other thing I thought last night - how the policeman completely overlooked the big bruise on the boy's face from where Tim had slugged him. Nowadays the boy would have been turned over to child services!

Also, what was the policeman's. partner doing as the cop sat down and ate the pie or cobbler ir whatever it was? (He had told his partner to swing back and drive them both to the diner!😄).