Regular Contributor

Re: \THE FUGITIVE "SHADOW OF THE SWAN" MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Oznell I really don't know what the laws were in tv referencing animals, but I do know that it was John Wayne who brought in the ASPCA to monitor horse abuse in the movies on movie sets.  He was a tremendous animal lover as was Errol Flynn and wanted to  make sure horses  weren't abused as they had been for years.    Because of him today it is law.  I have worked very hard for all animals and wildlife to protect them from poachers in Africa to dog and cat abuse.  So I've always noticed how animals were treated and spoken of.

I missed the very beginning of how they met but did see most of the episode.  I agree with @Tique that this was a good show.  Also that Kimble was more relaxed, enjoying himself at the Carnival.   But  why would he throw a goldfish into a pond with a swan?  IDK if that even made sense.  But then life doesn't always make sense.

I did feel sympathy for Joanna even though I know she was not stable, but there was a quality to her, that the other women didn't have. The Fuge writers, much to their credit,

have always introduced  into social issues such as mental health. I didn't watch much television back in the sixties but I did from the seventies on and don't remember any tv series that really spoke of mental illness.  That coupled with Kimble's training and nature to help anyone in need, added to the story.  That's the way I felt about it.

The realization that she really needed help finally hit her uncle.  He thought he could do it all himself, protect her and capture Kimble.  The sheriff didn't care abt Kimble and knew what Tina was all about.  In the end and the only way it could end was for her to die.  All in all, very sad story all around.

Honored Contributor

@chloe4578 wrote:

@Oznell I really don't know what the laws were in tv referencing animals, but I do know that it was John Wayne who brought in the ASPCA to monitor horse abuse in the movies on movie sets.  He was a tremendous animal lover as was Errol Flynn and wanted to  make sure horses  weren't abused as they had been for years.    Because of him today it is law.  I have worked very hard for all animals and wildlife to protect them from poachers in Africa to dog and cat abuse.  So I've always noticed how animals were treated and spoken of.

I missed the very beginning of how they met but did see most of the episode.  I agree with @Tique that this was a good show.  Also that Kimble was more relaxed, enjoying himself at the Carnival.   But  why would he throw a goldfish into a pond with a swan?  IDK if that even made sense.  But then life doesn't always make sense.

I did feel sympathy for Joanna even though I know she was not stable, but there was a quality to her, that the other women didn't have. The Fuge writers, much to their credit,

have always introduced  into social issues such as mental health. I didn't watch much television back in the sixties but I did from the seventies on and don't remember any tv series that really spoke of mental illness.  That coupled with Kimble's training and nature to help anyone in need, added to the story.  That's the way I felt about it.

The realization that she really needed help finally hit her uncle.  He thought he could do it all himself, protect her and capture Kimble.  The sheriff didn't care abt Kimble and knew what Tina was all about.  In the end and the only way it could end was for her to die.  All in all, very sad story all around.

@chloe4578. Kimble threw the goldfish into the lake because it was a fish and would be happiest in a lake (not in a goldfish bowl).  It had nothing to do with the swan.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister,  what a shame you had to re-type your whole post!  I hate having to "re-construct" when I've lost something-- bummer.  The posting issues with the board seem to never end.....  Agreed, the other police discounting Andrew Duggan's info about Kimble would be strange.  In other ways, he and Sheiner had a warm relationship and you could sense deep sympathy for Duggan, even though he had violated the police standards...

@Pearlee,  true,  a faux swan would have solved the "flying away" problem for sure, but in this case the swan looked quite real to me, just sort of awkward and constrained, as it would if it were somehow tied.

@chloe4578,  that is fascinating about John Wayne-  so glad his humanitarian instincts helped the film horses!  He would speak up in sometimes surprising ways-- when everyone was deriding Patty Hearst, he pointed out that a kidnapped and constantly terrorized 19 year old might very well succumb to her kidnappers as a matter of survival.. 

Your summary of the uncle hit me exactly right--  I felt for him in his untenable guardian position.  The realization that "Tina" wasn't just "troubled",  that she was sociopathic, and could have killed her parents, must have been staggering.

The link I felt that the women mentioned shared-- Tuesday, Angie and Joanna ("Tina"), was that they were willing to kill to achieve their aims.  Tina was more confused, perhaps "softer" than the others, but able to act in amoral ways without normal constraints of conscience.

Apologies if I'm not remembering right, but wasn't it @drizzellla who once commented at the unlikelihood of Kimble constantly stumbling over these extreme, "killer" women!!

On a less weighty note, I have to confess I also felt a twinge for the goldfish-- he could be so easily gobbled up by predators in that lake.  However, he probably still would prefer that to life in a tiny goldfish bowl!    

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "SHADOW OF THE SWAN" MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

[ Edited ]

Initially my thoughts regarding the lieutenant who dismissed Harry's concerns were similar to @twinsister's; however it was mentioned more than once that Harry was persona non gratis around the police station. He also stated that the chief still had a gripe with Harry and reminded him several times he wasn't a policeman anymore. The cop did regard Harry as a friend but even he seemed to doubt both Harry's ability to be rational and credible where Tina was involved. I'm sure after the way things evolved he felt vindicated.

@Oznell  it didn't occur to me that Tina may have been involved in her parents' deaths but it's certainly a possibility even though they died when she was 10. I agree with your assessment about Tina having no constraints to get whatever she wanted.

@chloe4578   I like the "inside" tidbits you add to the discussions.

@Pearlee   regarding Kimble's mention of having studied medicine perhaps he was still in that relaxed state of mind. At that point he didn't regard Tina as a threat and the vet didn't seem to be all that interested in Kimble's past especially after he saw how he connected with the animals.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I went back to watch the final scene with Harry and Tina and this time I saw the moment when Harry realized that Tina probably started the fire. Thanks for mentioning that. I would have missed it.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Regular Contributor

@Tique 

Im glad you mentioned the fire.  In the end scene, Harry believed Kimble's side of the story, plus he mentioned to Tina that she started the fire.

Because I missed about 20 minutes at the beginning of the episode, I didn't really understand what he meant.  Did her parents die in the fire?  Or what?  Fill me in...

I LOL when you mentioned tidbits that I always interject.  John Wayne was a big deal in Los Angeles.  And known for his love of animals.  It just seemed appropriate to mention as it is a part of movie history.

Respected Contributor

This episode started so cheerfully and so idyllic and ended with such melancholy.

I thought Kimble, with his love of children, would have handed the goldfish off to a passing child. But it does make sense and keeping in character that he would want it freed from captivity. 

My first reaction was, who is going to care for the kenneled animals? Guess the vet needed to get back to town and cut the weekend short.

I know we would never have a show if Kimble actually went with his instincts and left town at the first whiff of a problem. But for a man with one small suitcase, he always seems to take an inordinate amount of time to pack. 

This was one episode where, even though the opportunity presented itself, he never attempted to offer any medical aid to anyone. Granted the carnival fire victims seemed to have already had a doctor assisting them, but no attempt was made to treat the gunshot wound. 

The one bright spot was that the uncle, after having lost so much, was not being ostracized by his friends.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chloe4578, yes she went to live with her uncle when her parents died in a fire.

Honored Contributor

True, @Tique , you are so right that the department was disenchanted with Harry (with good reason),  yet somehow I thought his friend would give credence perhaps, to Harry's still-active "cop instincts"..... 

@Etoile308,  "started cheerfully and ended with such melancholy"---   exactly, that sums it up!

I agree it was neat that, with the horrible revelation and tragedy that had happened, at least Harry had the comfort of friends who cared about him....

Honored Contributor

Who were the friends? I only know of one person who seemed to have stuck with/by him throughout this ordeal.