Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "SEARCH IN A WINDY CITY" DAVID JANSSEN PAT HINGLE MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTER

@KLevineFan. I see both sides. I agree with you (there is the show opener too) but also see the point made in the Epilogue, and I knew when @Oznell made her comment exactly what she was referring to. So a case can be made on either side IMO.
Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "SEARCH IN A WINDY CITY" DAVID JANSSEN PAT HINGLE MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTER

Yes, @drizzellla , @KLevineFan and @Pearlee ,  more precisely,

Spoiler
it's the first time Kimble himself has glimpsed the one armed man, since that fateful night of the murder. Presumably, seeing him in the flesh again, gives him renewed hope that as the narrator says, "they will meet again",  or solemn words to that effect!

@Pearlee,  if Janssen did think he was possibly Gable's offspring, I'm very inclined to think of it as wishful thinking.  Unless, he knew something from family lore, or knew that his showgirl mother had been in proximity to Gable sometime in the 30's, etc.  We do know that in his younger years Clark was "active" (Judy Lewis epsode).  But it is so far-fetched.  Janssen lost his bio father, and then had a stepfather whose name he assumed.  That was his prosaic reality.  But with his actor's vivid imagination, and if he idolized Gable, he could easily have incorporated some of those mannerisms that so further the likeness-- like that funny cheek twitch or mouth twitch that he sometimes does, very wryly....

@Tique,  very interesting and true-- the women are so well-written.  I hadn't quite thought of it in those terms before.  That's partly why his relationships with them, however transient, are often so affecting and memorable....

At least up until those final two episodes of the series @Pearlee and I have complained about -- I think the writers somewhat dropped the ball with that final relationship. It was a somewhat "opaque" character, more of a necessary plot device, maybe.  But the problem was partly in the casting too, I would imagine...  I'll be interested to get your take on that one, if and when we ever make it to the end!        

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. Another possibility is Debbie Reynolds was just wrong. That was a juicy tidbit for her book but we didn't hear the conversation. Janssen was often compared in looks to Gable. It could have been Janssen was just pulling Reynold's leg so to speak or they were both drunk at a party once and she took seriously something he didn't mean seriously. I really doubt that Janssen actually believed Gable was his father.

By the way, from what I've read, Janssen had a very high I. Q. (Forgot the exact number) and was a voracious reader. I think he was too smart to believe the father tale but again it's a good story and made for a good book tidbit.
Honored Contributor

Absolutely, @Pearlee --  that sounds the most plausible.  Debbie Reynolds had that sort of "elfin" personality, and clearly loved a good story!  And was a bit kooky.  So there's that probability of embellishment or getting it a wee bit 'garbled', as they say!

Yes, it's funny--  person after person said how innately smart he was.  He didn't study academically beyond high school, but was described as an 'autodidact' who clearly had great intellectual curiosity and ability....  such a shame it all ended far, far too soon... 

Honored Contributor

LOL @Oznell. I almost wrote in my post above this one that Reynolds was also a bit kookie. The very same words.
Great minds think alike!
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  @Pearlee  - Finally got around to watching it.  Good episode.  Felt bad for Kimble - so frustrating that he got so close and the one armed man got away.

Honored Contributor

Oh, it was frustrating, @twinsister -- and it isn't the only time that he'll come so agonizingly close!  But lucky he got foiled, or we wouldn't have the series...

Glad you watched this one in time to clear the decks for Monday wee hours episode upcoming-- another good one.