Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "RAT IN A CORNER". DAVID JANSSEN, WARREN OATES MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN M

[ Edited ]

Thanks, @KLevineFan , for supplying that info.  How interesting-- I could see both of those men in that sort of role!

@Tique,  great comments as usual.  I had remembered there was a little scene at the end in the P.O., but forgot that she got yet another begging call from her brother, to whom she apparently acquiesced again.  Too bad.  But perhaps her exposure to a guy of Kimble's caliber would ultimately steel her against continuing to enable that rascal Herbie! 

Like almost all women who end up helping Kimble in some form or another, she got a "faraway" look in her eye when thinking of him, ha.

Glad you got to see it, @drizzellla , even if at little intervals, before getting a straight run-through!

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "RAT IN A CORNER". DAVID JANSSEN, WARREN OATES MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN M

I fell asleep too in Act II of the 2:00 a.m. show so
no comments from me today. Interesting to read those from others.
Esteemed Contributor

I watched last night and enjoyed it - another good episode.   Warren Oates was perfect for that character.  I did recognize Virginia Vincent, but don't remember what I have seen her in.  She reminds me of a gangster's moll from 1940's or 50's movies.  Also remember M Throne from It Takes a Thief.    I thought Oates character had really changed at the end, but I was wrong.  As for Vincent's character getting that faraway look in her eyes when talking about Kimble - who could blame her!!!

Funny note - as I was watching, my boyfriend walks by and says "oh - it's Warren Oates".  I was shocked he knew him. He is a few years younger than me, so I don't think he was watching the Fugitive when it was originally on. 

Honored Contributor

@twinsister. Thanks for your post; I always enjoy reading what you and other new Fugitive viewers think of the episodes.

Warren Oates is a very longtime character actor and didn't change much in appearance as he aged so I'm not surprised at all that your friend recognized him. As for Vincent, from the photo @Oznell posted, I think I recognize her from being in westerns. I can picture her with a bonnet on her head! And I do remember her from this episode even though I don't really remember the episode.
Honored Contributor

That's neat that he recognized Warren Oates, @twinsister -- your beau may be a bit of a Western fan, since I believe when Oates really made his mark it was through that genre.  As a character actor, he really rose high, because if I'm not mistaken, he even snagged a few lead roles at his peak.  It seems that few true "character" players manage to do that.  He has a wily flamboyance that tends to peek through, I think!  But am not a good judge, since I haven't seen him in that many roles.

"A bonnet on her head"--   that rings a faint bell for me, @Pearlee --  Virginia Vincent seems as though she could well have been in some long-lost "Wagon Train" episode, or could have been a transient, enterprising love interest of Hoss on "Bonanza" or something, ha.

She does have that "gangster's moll" aura too, @twinsister ,  esp. given her back story to Kimble of working at the "Kitten Club" and being the possibly-not-too-savory owner's "girl".   For some reason, I really liked her with Kimble-- their little exchange over shared cigarettes, and then her revealing more of herself in that dllapidated nightclub...

I enjoy getting to see more of the character actors of the period, even ones I have somewhat mixed reactions to, like the upcoming Eileen Heckart and Albert Salmi...   (How's that for a tease of the next episodes, a two-parter!) 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I know the 2 parter coming up and I don't really like it. They tried something a little different and it never quite worked for me, even way back when I first saw it. And Eileen Heckart's voice grates on me, no matter what she is in!
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  & @Pearlee  - Now I'm curious about the two-parter!

Honored Contributor

I thought Virginia Vincent was in, appropriately, The Virginian 😄 so I Googled it just now and she was. I think she was in other westerns of that era also, as you suggested oznell.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know what you mean about Eileen Heckart's voice, @Pearlee !   Even though she is such a respected actress, and has been quite good in a number of things, to my mind she seems to over do it at times-- even when she was Mary Richards' funny, globe-trotting "Aunt Flo" in a couple of episodes...

Edited to clarify that I was referring to E. Heckart's voice above, not V. Vincent's....

Oops, I don't want to pre-emptively turn you off of the two-parter, @twinsister --  there are definitely things I do like about it.  As a "person of faith" , of course, I'm fascinated whenever they give tiny glimpses of Kimble's more spiritual dimension, so there's that...

Honored Contributor

@twinsister Nun of us will say anything about it though. 😉😀