Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "RAT IN A CORNER". DAVID JANSSEN, WARREN OATES MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

205631.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern--  The Fugitive,  "Rat in a Corner".  David Janssen, Warren Oates, Virginia Vincent, Malachi Throne

Kimble now has one of those jobs that afford him little personal satisfaction, but dramatic events bring him into contact with a petty criminal who, of course, needs his help.

I like this one not for the atmosphere-- it's an abrupt departure from the glossy environs of his recent situations-- but for the "human interest" and for the actors involved.  Warren Oates, as the volatile thief, is a character player who ultimately was quite a big deal in the 60's and 70's-- he developed an almost cult-like following, esp. for his work in Westerns.  (Reminds me a bit, in his explosive persona, of the talented Rip Torn.)  He's ideal for his part here, all squinting cynicism and not-too-smart but manipulative guile.

unnamed.jpg  

The role of his sister (Virginia Vincent) brings to mind what @Tique said about the writing of female characters in "The Fugitive".  As opposed to her brother, she IS intelligent, spunky, respectable-- as a long time Postal Service employee, she's been called upon for financial rescue by her feckless brother countless times... 

fugep21sc03b.jpg

But even she has an anomalous past, one which allows her to offer refuge to a fugitive needing concealment, perhaps...

Again, like in episodes past, the brief relationship that develops between Kimble and Vincent is tantalizing.  It's mostly transactional-- they have to do what they have to do-- but there are hints of an understanding, and a fleeting rapport... 

Then there's another terrific character actor, in the form of Malachi Throne, of "It Takes a Thief" and "Batman" fame. (What a fabulous name he had-- and he was born with it.)  As a shrewd policeman, he so much more appealing than Gerard, to me, at least.  I kept wishing there were more of him -- but then, if there were, that might not have boded so well for Kimble!

MV5BYjQ1NzBmZGUtZGM5NC00ZjRmLWJlMDUtZTRiOTM0NDMwZmE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

Because of these character players, and the fact that the episode keeps you guessing, it's quite a satisfactory one, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "RAT IN A CORNER". DAVID JANSSEN, WARREN OATES MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN M

@Oznell I know I've seen this episode many times but have very little recollection of it, indicating to me it was not a favorite since it made no lasting impression. I remember the actors in it but little about the plot even though I read the synopsis last night on imdb.

I love the name Malachi Throne who was in quite a few shows in the 1960s. During the F's first run when I was 11/12 years old when I heard his name in the F intro I thought it was so funny!
Most celebrities back then would change their real names to something star-worthy, so Malachi Throne stuck out like a sore thumb even more.
Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "RAT IN A CORNER". DAVID JANSSEN, WARREN OATES MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN M

Yes, @Pearlee ,  I've always liked the less-used Biblical names--  Malachi, Kezia(h), Adoniram, Tirzah, Gideon, Zebediah.  But many of them are now the hot baby names of the present, as parents hunt for names to give their babies that are out of the ordinary...

You take a dynamic, three-syllable name like "Malachi" and pair it with a strong, punchy last name like "Throne"---  it's such a winner!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell It sure beats the names Tab Hunter and Rock Hudson and Doris Day and the rest of the made-up-names-for-stardom back in those days. But I remember thinking Malachi was hilarious!

Meant to say earlier I did recognize the title of tonight's episode, if not the plot (yet).
Honored Contributor

The funny thing is, @Pearlee ,  I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of the plot too, although I remember the broad outlines.  It seems as usual with this show, it's the characters and their interactions that make an impression, and either 'make it' or 'break it' for me!

Esteemed Contributor

My DVR is set!    Right now I'm watching Titanic with DiCaprio and Winslet, but I remember David Janssen starring in a TV movie version.

Honored Contributor

Interesting that he was in a TV version of "The Titanic",  @twinsister !  Do you happen to remember what type of role he played?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell

David played John Jacob Astor...Eric Braeden portrayed Astor in the most recent film.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

...The role of his sister (Virginia Vincent) brings to mind what @Tique said about the writing of female characters in "The Fugitive".  As opposed to her brother, she IS intelligent, spunky, respectable-- as a long time Postal Service employee, she's been called upon for financial rescue by her feckless brother countless times... 

fugep21sc03b.jpg

But even she has an anomalous past, one which allows her to offer refuge to a fugitive needing concealment, perhaps...

@Oznell   yes Lorna was a woman whose character was a jumble of contradictions. Having Herbie for a brother she probably [similar to the woman with whom she had her last scene] had also reached the same conclusion about men: "They're all alike". Then she met our Dr. Richard Kimble.

When the episode ended I felt sorry for Lorna knowing that after Herbie missed out on what he thought had been his big chance, he was going to continue to turn to her and use that "fact" every time he messed up which likely increased after that incident.

Agree. Another satisfactory episode.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

Once again I watched the show at 2AM. I fell asleep and missed the beginning. And then I fell asleep a time or two during the show. I did not have a clue what was going on.

So I just watched the entire episode. Watching it from beginning to end made a world of difference. And really kept you wondering how things would turn out. So glad I saw the complete episode.

Maybe I shouldn't try and watch it in my comfy bed at 2AM.