Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "NOT WITH A WHIMPER" D. JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Pearlee wrote:

@twinsister@drizzellla. I can't believe you two didn't notice his teeth! All I saw whenever he talked was bottom teeth which is odd not to see top teeth, and they were so prominent.  Maybe there is a clip of him on YouTube somewhere where you can see what I mean. 🦷🦷🦷🦷🦷🦷🦷🦷🦷🦷🦷

Laurence Naismith | Doblaje Wiki | Fandom

Sir Donald Munger - James Bond Wiki

This is the only picture I could find with his top teeth showing.

The Singer Not the Song (1961) - MUBI

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I can barely recognize him with top teeth in the last photo!

The bottom ones are so "in my face" when he talks.  Much worse than in the photos.

I'm glad you did this drizzella  to see what I meant ...and thanks for the laugh!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - I was able to restore the recording from my DVR and watched the first few minutes again.  Now I noticed about his teeth.  I must have been looking at his eyebrows instead.  Very strange.

I'm glad I did watch again, because I noticed something I didn't see yesterday.  It was when Kimble left the coffee shop and the guy looked through a True Crime magazine. I didn't catch that the first time and explains how they found out his identity.  Don't know how I missed that scene.  Also - the sign on the coffee shop said the lunch special was ninety five cents and the cheeseburger and fries was sixty five cents.  

Thank goodmess for modern technology and DVRs - LOL!!

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla - thanks for the pictures!!

Esteemed Contributor

There was something else I meant to include in my original review of the episode.  I couldn't figure out what Kimble was doing in the lab with those glass containers and was surprised when he came out with them supposedly carrying the bomb.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee,  yes, fascinating that the writer saw fit to include the Beatles reference (was probably a fan!), and then for it to be to a group with staying power, cool.

Maybe they mostly stayed away from pop culture references for the same reason Carl Reiner did in the D i c k Van D y k e show--  he said he wanted it to be timeless and so they tried avoid too much current slang, etc.

Ha, ha, @drizzellla ,  love your catch on the eyebrows!  I didn't really twig to them, maybe b/c I've seen him in other things and got used to their baroque quality.  They do help establish him as an eccentric character.   Thanks for your yeoman work in digging up those photos-- he looks relatively tame in those, (for him, ha.)

@spiderw,  yours is not a digression at all--  that haunting music is so integral to the series, establishing the mood, providing continuity, etc.   One of my favorite elements, esp. that sweet-sad little fragment that is almost Kimble's "signature" refrain.   So glad you chose to comment, drop by any time whether you watch the episodes or not!

@twinsister,  hubby and I were talking about the counter guy snatching up that crime magazine scene.  It almost seemed too pat that he goes from merely musing about Kimble looking familiar, to grabbing up his conveniently near by magazine about crime to see if Kimble's there!  Ah, the necessary shorthand of episodic TV....

And I almost didn't post that picture of Kimble in the factory lab. He kind of looks like a mad scientist there! 

Thank you for bringing up that whole scene.  I loved his ingenuity in 'drowning' the bomb in oil, and then concocting a pseudo-bomb to fool the others and ensure his escape from a seemingly hopeless situation....

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee - I was able to restore the recording from my DVR and watched the first few minutes again.  Now I noticed about his teeth.  I must have been looking at his eyebrows instead.  Very strange.

I'm glad I did watch again, because I noticed something I didn't see yesterday.  It was when Kimble left the coffee shop and the guy looked through a True Crime magazine. I didn't catch that the first time and explains how they found out his identity.  Don't know how I missed that scene.  Also - the sign on the coffee shop said the lunch special was ninety five cents and the cheeseburger and fries was sixty five cents.  

Thank goodmess for modern technology and DVRs - LOL!!

@twinsister  Thanks so much for the correction on the prices...and there was no sandwich at all! 😆 I could have sworn I saw that hamburger sign correctly so I'm glad you set me straight with that second look.  Also, when you made your first comment about the clerk recognizing Kimble, I thought you had seen him looking at the crime magazines. Your comment still made sense.  I don't think people would guess what Kimble was doing with the beakers when he made the fake bomb upon seeing the epi for the first time. I'm sure I didn't!

@drizzellla  Thanks for taking the time to go back and see what I meant about the 🦷🙂.

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed this episode. Maybe because once again there were no malicious conniving characters, unless you count the bratty Joey. Dr. McAllister's behavior was criminal and potentially lethal, but seemed the results of a sick mind. He was a zealous crusader, but with a sick twist. Sad to see what was once a good brilliant mind go so wrong, all for the right cause. 

This really was the time when we started to become more aware of environmental pollution. I wondered while watching, why did it take so long for cigarette smoking to become taboo. Then I realized I didn't see Kimble smoking in this episode.

Personally, I thought the pie looked fine. The diner looked shabby, wouldn't have had high expectations for desserts. 

I think the reconnecting with someone from the past who had such a positive impact in his life would have been comforting. But nothing ever goes smoothly for Dr. Kimble. 

I don't understand bringing the package to the hospital first. It would only take one Oops! And if McAllister thought it through, how much contamination would an explosion in the plant have caused. But I did chuckle when McAllister was explaining how to diffuse the bomb...first take off the wrapping...well, duh!

Honored Contributor

Good!  @Etoile308 ,  you've touched on something so interesting at the heart of the episode--  the sort of 'dual' quality in "Mac".   And not only was it reckless to bring that package to the hospital,  it was also downright hazardous to then entrust it to poor, unsuspecting Kimble and Willis to carry it all the way to the factory.  They didn't know they could be blown to smithereens if they so much as tripped or bumped into something. 

That was why I was wishing in an earlier post that the writing had explored more of the ethical issues, which they did touch on, but briefly.  Hard to reconcile that Mac, who cared for both Kimble and Willis (and presumably, humanity), knowingly put them, and anyone who might accidentally wander into the factory (even on a Saturday) in mortal danger.  Yet for most of the episode, he was portrayed as relatively rational, if misguided.

He was mentally quite sharp, at least, as shown by his immediate recognition of Kimble's ruse at the end for escape.  He was quick to assure the skeptical policeman, "Oh, it's the bomb, all right"!

I enjoyed the episode too, but wish there had been more "fleshing out",  as it were.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Good!  @Etoile308 ,  you've touched on something so interesting at the heart of the episode--  the sort of 'dual' quality in "Mac".   And not only was it reckless to bring that package to the hospital,  it was also downright hazardous to then entrust it to poor, unsuspecting Kimble and Willis to carry it all the way to the factory.  They didn't know they could be blown to smithereens if they so much as tripped or bumped into something. 

That was why I was wishing in an earlier post that the writing had explored more of the ethical issues, which they did touch on, but briefly.  Hard to reconcile that Mac, who cared for both Kimble and Willis (and presumably, humanity), knowingly put them, and anyone who might accidentally wander into the factory (even on a Saturday) in mortal danger.  Yet for most of the episode, he was portrayed as relatively rational, if misguided.

He was mentally quite sharp, at least, as shown by his immediate recognition of Kimble's ruse at the end for escape.  He was quick to assure the skeptical policeman, "Oh, it's the bomb, all right"!

I enjoyed the episode too, but wish there had been more "fleshing out",  as it were.

@Oznell Well, the key to Mac's behavior was he had mental problems. People can still be lucid and act rationally even when a lot of their behavior is irrational.