Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "NICEST FELLA YOU'D EVER WANT TO MEET" D. JANSSEN P. HINGLE MONDAY 2:00 A

@Tique wrote:

@Pearlee wrote...@Tique  Unless I missed something I don't especially agree that the prisoners Hingle took in could pay him off to get away. Unless as I say, I missed something. He wanted free forced labor to get the work done...

@Pearlee  yes you did miss something or more acccurately maybe you thought you saw something I didn't write. I had to go back and read what I wrote because I didn't say anyone paid Joe Bob.

This is what I wrote  "Charley the corner man was doing his job. Joe Bob paid him [meaning Charley] to tell on people and the people who did wrong probably paid him [again Charley]  not to tell on them. Of course Kimble, being a stranger, had no way of knowing that. The story might have turned out completely different if Kimble had only given Charley "a little something"."

@Tique  Oh my apologies for misreading your post earlier. I'm not sure I agree with your speculation that people may have paid Charley not to tell on the but it's an interesting idea.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "NICEST FELLA YOU'D EVER WANT TO MEET" D. JANSSEN P. HINGLE MONDAY 2:00 A

@Pearlee  as many of our thoughts are this was speculation. I saw how Charley kept looking at Kimble like he was expecting something. Joe Bob called Charley the corner man so my knowledge of that term is someone who you pay for protection. Since Charley couldn't protect anyone his thing was keeping a lookout to see who committed one of their town's ridiculous crimes and reporting it to JB. If Kimble had given Charley something, he would not have told JB about Kimble "thumbing" but of course Kimble didn't know that. In retrospect if he had I'm sure he would have rather paid the piper.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

ORe: THE FUGITIVE "NICEST FELLA YOU'D EVER WANT TO MEET" D. JANSSEN P. HINGLE MONDAY 2:00 A

Oh, @Sage04 ,  I'm glad you didn't miss it!   If you ever do, you can always resort to the youtube episodes, and bonus points, they at least don't have any commercials...  Good to have you aboard, and hope you'll share your thoughts about the episode, if inclined.

Honored Contributor

In addition to the things already mentioned by @twinsister  there is another one that puzzled me. Joe Bob was all about himself but a part of his "charm" was he managed to look like he was a magnanimous person. He had promised Floyd when he got promoted, his job would go to Floyd. That made sense because JB didn't just become corrupt; he had been unjustly arresting people and enforcing those ordinances for some time and then using the prisoners as @Pearlee  mentioned for free labor. Floyd had seen this and most likely other unsavory things so this was to pay him back for years of looking the other way.

What didn't make sense - at least to me - was him then turning around and promising the same job to the mayor for his son. Why didn't he promise him Floyd's current job? The one thing we know was JB knew how to manage Floyd. He had Floyd running errands - picking up coffee, hamburgers, etc. The mayor's son may not have been quite so eager to team up with JB. On the other hand the son was having problems with his current job and "his daddy" was on the hunt to get him another one so he may have been easier to control than Floyd. Why not give him the job Floyd was vacating? JB didn't have to be specific with the mayor; he could have said something like "Oh there'll be a job waiting when he gets here". Of course he had no way of knowing Kimble - whom he was about to deliver to the outskirts of town - would be repeating that info to Floyd. I don't understand why Joe Bob would even take the chance of ruffling Floyd's feathers. 

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Tique. You make a very good point. I suppose Hingle offered the primo position to curry the most favor with the mayor for both the inquest and future favors needed. Also, if we are into suppositions, perhaps he knew the mayor well enough to know the mayor wouldn't like his son being given the second best position when the top position was the opening. 

Thank goodness nowadays there are at least peace officer training requirements. Back 60 years ago, a sheriff opening could be filled this way!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tique  - I agree with what @Pearlee  said about JB not giving the mayor's son Floyd's job.  JB thought he would have the mayor permanently  "in his pocket" by doing that for his son.  Also maybe JB figured h could string Floyd along with a promise of a better job once JB was in his new position.

Honored Contributor

OK - I am going to ask

Why was the episode title called "Nicest Fella You'd Ever Want to Meet". Who were they referring to?

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

OK - I am going to ask

Why was the episode title called "Nicest Fella You'd Ever Want to Meet". Who were they referring to?

@drizzellla  IMO Pat Hingle, the good old boy.

Honored Contributor

Thanks Pearley - I didn't expect the title to be sarcastic.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Thanks Pearley - I didn't expect the title to be sarcastic.

@drizzellla  If it had been Handsomest Fella You'd Ever Want To Meet you wouldn't have had to ask. 😄❤