Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "NEVER STOP RUNNING" DAVID JANSSEN, JOANNA MOORE 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Tique,  I guess "subtlety" wasn't exactly the right word for his barely controlled contempt for them;  it's just that compared to "you bunch of scurrilous crum-bums",  his reactions (at least in the presence of the wife and the brother accomplices) were relatively restrained, ha.  And there are certain times in the series where we know he is more vocal and doesn't mince words at all.   But in this episode he seemed focused on not making the situation even worse, and figuring out how to save the boy and get out... 

Exactly-- the lack of any maternal feeling immediately stuck out a mile in Joanna Moore's portrayal.  She was like a child herself, dependent on Claude Akins for direction.  The scene where she was telling poor Jimmie that he didn't feel what he felt-- "Now say it--  I don't hurt"--  wasn't that chilling?  I started imagining her back story, and thought, that sounds like something she may have been told as a child.  She reminded me very much of some adult survivors of child abuse that I've worked with...

Like you,  I was also taken with Jimmie's tortuous, determined crawl to get into the hospital-- it was like a stark illustration of the human being's indomitable will to survive...   @Pearlee was right, he was a terrific little actor.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "NEVER STOP RUNNING" DAVID JANSSEN, JOANNA MOORE 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@twinsister,  I feel better now that you have a similar confusion about when the stunt double appeared in the fight scene!   I read that in a viewer's review of the episode, and also it was included in one of those lists of bloopers for the show.  They made it sound like it was so obvious, but maybe it wasn't quite as obvious as they maintained....

That hospital scene was funny, for the reasons you mention, and also I thought, by how dazed the nurse seemed.  Kimble was crisply issuing orders (as he was probably wont to do in his previous life) but it took her a minute to spring into action.  Perhaps she was struck by the well-known "Kimble effect",  being in the presence of such a pulchritudinous specimen, none the worse for wear after his strenuous fight outside....

Honored Contributor

Oh, I forgot--  did anyone see exactly how Kimble hotwired that truck to get it started?  I was flashing through that part, and too lazy to go back and look.   I didn't think it was just a matter of her leaving the keys in the ignition, and him takiing advantage of that....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  great question about getting that truck started. No the keys were not in the ignition. All I know is Kimble reached into his pocket and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and matches. He did something with a match under the bottom of the truck on the driver's side. The next thing I know the truck started and they were off. I do remember even Jimmie with all the pain he was experiencing had a look on his face like "Wow, how did he do that". Another example of the boy's fine acting first mentioned by @Pearlee . He showed appropriate emotions/facial expressions when reacting to behaviors whether he had dialogue or not.

"What If I Fall?

Oh My Darling, What If You Fly?"

Honored Contributor

Oh, thank you @Tique for answering my question about that!  I wonder if that's possible in real life--  it sounds so far-fetched to start a vehicle that way!   Desperation does cause people to try all sorts of ingenious things, and at least a few of them are bound to work, I guess...

Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking about the stunt double. Do you think that the scene was shortened? It seems like the "older" shows run longer that more current shows. 

I know some channels run the ending credits of a show, at the same time they are showing the beginning credits for a new show. 

The Fugitive beginning is a little story. So they want to keep it intact. Just a thought that popped into my head.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Lying in bed watching the scene, I didn't even see as much as Tique did, just that he reached underneath with some implement from his pocket and started the truck. But remember things were much simpler back then and that probably includes car ignitions too ( no electric windows when I was growing up -- we cranked down the car windows ourselves!) I do recall car theft was very common back then (mostly by hot wiring which Kimble didn't do) so I'm willing to just go with it was easier to steal a vehicle then. At least what they wrote was more suspenseful and better than the easier way out for Kimble --- the keys left in the ignition!

As for your other additional remarks, we learn why Moore didn't swoon over Kimble -- she seemed crazy in love with Akins. Also, I do think Kimble was as direct and forceful as I've ever seen him with Akins, really provoking him about his failed football career. That was pretty risky and showed how angry Kimble was that these kidnappers were risking the boy's life.

Kimble is so soft spoken usually. I think (and I may be mistaken) the most worked up Ive ever seen him, actually raising his voice mad is his fight with Helen before he stormed out of the house in The Girl From Little Egypt.
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla,  you may very well be right-- good point!  One of the things @Pearlee and I have bemoaned is the way that METV has cut crucial little pieces out of their airing of "The Fugitive",  things we remember from seeing the episodes in the past.   They seem to have no compunction about doing it...

Absolutely, @Pearlee ,  I hadn't even considered the part about ignitions being simpler then, but that makes perfect sense.  It does seem like historically, more cars were stolen or taken for "joy rides" then than now!

Honored Contributor

I remarked above that I had seen Jimmie in other shows of that era which made me curious enough to look him up on imdb. I already fotgot his real name, which I didn't recognize but he was in a boatload of 1960s TV shows including an episode of Andy Griffith in 1965, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Outer Limits and more. And Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte film but I don't remember him in that. @twinsister. He is our age and was born on Belgium. The little bio didn't say what he is doing nowadays.

I
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee  - that is interesting about little Jimmie.  I look up past actors often on IMDB to see what has happened to them.   I do remember having to roll our car windows down and my dad opening those little side windows.  

I also didn't notice Kimble doing anything specific when starting the truck.  I'm not as observant as the rest of you, so I will have to pay attention more closely!!  

While watching a few minutes of Perry Mason this morning, I saw a very young Joanna Moore. If it wasn't for her voice, I wouldn't have recognized her (it was from 1958).