Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "NEVER STOP RUNNING" DAVID JANSSEN, JOANNA MOORE 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@twinsister,  I read something interesting about Joanna Moore.  She had early tragedy in her life-  her mother and baby sister were killed in an accident, and her father died months later from injuries he had sustained in it.

Alcohol and drugs became preoccupations for her, and as you say, her life was sad.  Interestingly, her grandson, Tatum's child--whose last name is McEnroe but whose first name escapes me-- was very close to her.  He has written a work of fiction (I think, not a real life memoir) based on her, called "Dorothy", I think, which was her real first name...

Thought it was remarkable and sweet of him to want to commemorate her that way...

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "NEVER STOP RUNNING" DAVID JANSSEN, JOANNA MOORE 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

Wow, @twinsister and @drizzellla --  I just saw your post, @drizzellla --  we were on the same track!  It is a very interesting and heart-breaking history, isn't it?  Then the sadness and dysfunction continued into the next generation, with Tatum and Griffin...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  - That is very sad about Joanna Moore's loss of family.  How touching about her grandson and his book.

Honored Contributor

SPOILERS BELOW!

I remembered this show pretty well and like it.
I thought DJ expressed his disdain for Moore and Akins very well, esp Moore's values of loving sable etc over the boy's welfare. I aslo liked Kimble's "you're married?" line. Remember thus is the early 1960s when a woman who "put out" and wasn't married was a "tramp."

The boy was a good actor; I've seen him in other things from that era. Kimble carrying him around reminded me of him carrying Colleen around. 😄

Just like Kimble, not to run when the boy reached the hospital door but instead saw him safely inside and taken care of. I loved the boy's Louis Pasteur line; nice bit of writing.

By the time the fight scene came on at the end I could hardly keep my eyes open so I missed the stunt man detail oznell wrote about.

That German woman's truck...another vehicle that made me feel ancient! 😄
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   What is the name of the episode next week with Shirley Knight?  I have always liked her performances.

I remember  her performance in an Alfred Hitchcock episode wherein her husband was in an iron lung.   “Post-Mortem”

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Drug and alcohol abuse[edit]

Around the time of her separation from O'Neal, Moore began to abuse alcohol and drugs, namely amphetamines, and she became addicted. She continued acting, but her depression worsened over her impending divorce.

In 1970, Moore checked into the Camarillo State Hospital for psychiatric treatment. The next year, she was arrested for drunk driving after she and O'Neal got into a fight while she and their children were visiting O'Neal's Malibu home. After her arrest, she lost custody of her children.[2]

By the late 1970s, she was being supported financially by her daughter, Tatum, who had become an Academy Award-winning actress at age 10 and one of the highest-paid child stars of the era. The children were still in Ryan O'Neal's custody, and despite treatment, Moore continued to abuse drugs and alcohol. As a result, she was arrested five times for DUI during the 1980s.[2]

Hearing loss[edit]

In the early 1960s, Moore became deaf as a result of otosclerosis, which her doctor said resulted from a deposit of calcium in her middle ear. Moore said that she had to read lips to understand what people were saying. An operation restored her hearing in 1962.[7]

Death[edit]

In 1996, Moore, a longtime smoker, was diagnosed with lung cancer. On November 22, 1997, she died from the disease at age 63. Her daughter, Tatum O'Neal, was by her side at the time of her death. Moore was initially interred at Hillside Memorial Park in Redlands, California, but her family later moved her remains to Oak Grove Cemetery in her home town of Americus, Georgia.

Died at age 63.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl. Are you going to credit the source of this info?
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@mousiegirl. Are you going to credit the source of this info?

@Pearlee   Wikipedia, look for yourself.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl and you can look for the Knight episode title yourself -- EASILY.

Search Season 1 of The Fugitive and you'll find many lists online including on Wiki. 🙄. Look at the title of the one after last night's. 🙄
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ha, ha @Pearlee ,  I was enjoying exactly the same tart expressions and comments from DJ when he was clearly  registering how he regarded those kidnappers;  as always, he was so good at conveying a lot of feeling, but with subtlety.

I was kind of disappointed at the fight scene--  couldn't really tell when the stunt man became visible.  Thought maybe at the very end of the fight, when Kimble's face was sort of distorted?  But, his face was sort of pulled out of shape, as it would be right after a brawl, so decided that wasn't necessarily the definitive shot of a stunt man's face.  My eyesight must be worse than I thought!  Must have happened in the middle of the fight...  We'll have to rely on some of our fellow viewers to pinpoint it for us....

Oh, @mousiegirl ,  you  will love the Shirley Knight episode-- it's called "The Homecoming".  You'll find it easily in your DVDs--  it's toward the end of Season One.

Thanks for all the additional Moore/O'Neal info--  just fascinating story of a family with multigenerational issues.  And what a series of life-long blows and obstacles for Joanna Moore.  Despite various estrangements, Tatum seems to have stepped up to support her, and being there when she died, very significant...

ETA--  Oh, additionally, @mousiegirl ,  was interested to see from your post that she was from Americus, Georgia, which if I ever knew, I had forgotten.  Whenever Joanna Moore speaks, I can hear the "honeysuckle" in her voice, intensified, of course, when she plays a Southern character.  Same too, with Joanne Woodward, another Georgian, I think...