Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "MAN IN A CHARIOT" DAVID JANSSEN, ED BEGLEY MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

MV5BNTdmMGZiNTItNjI5NS00OWEyLTg4MjItODAyZDRiYzkxOTA1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjA5OTY5OTQ@._V1_.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern Monday--  The Fugitive "Man in a Chariot"   David Janssen, Ed Begley ("Sweet Bird of Youth", "12 Angry Men", "On Dangerous Ground"), Kathleen Maguire, Robert Drivas, Gene Lyons, Harold Gould

The long-awaited kick-off of Season 2, a layered, philosophical, but also suspenseful episode.  Theater and film powerhouse, Ed Begley, is an ailing, but brilliant law professor, who believes he could "get Kimble off" the legal hook, should Kimble re-emerge, and he stages a moot court trial among his students to demonstrate.

MV5BMjY2YzExMmItNzY3MS00OTQ2LWJkYTMtMjk5MWQ2NjJiNzViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

This brings together a variety of elements, including attention and danger for the fugitive, and a raking up of an unsettling past for the professor himself...

Many elements to savor here, as suggested.  Apart from the protean Ed Begley, Kathleen Maguire as his protective secretary, and Robert Drivas, as a promising law student, are key.  

MV5BMzVhYTIxOTctOTI0Yi00YTEwLTllNGUtNmNjNTk5NTBmYzlmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

fugep31sc03.jpg

The charismatic Robert Drivas as the student, has an intensity, and has had, for me, the aura of a performer who should have had a stellar career.  A theater veteran, like the excellent Kathleen Maguire.  Vaguely recalling at one point, that he and Kimble are in a bar somewhere, arguing, and in my memory, it's a notably "charged" scene of two very good actors.  It was sad to read that he was one of the fairly early victims of AIDS, and his life and career were cut short at age 50.  He definitely had that performer's spark, that "it",  that audiences feel, without necessarily being able to describe.

It's great that an excellent ensemble piece like this, had actors very much up to the task!

You'll recognize suavely handsome Harold Gould in a small role, he of multiple film and TV guises -- but beloved of MTM fans as "Rhoda's" Dad.

More trivia-- It was shocking to learn that Robert Drivas later played DJ's son (!) in a film, "Where It's At".   Maybe someone else also liked the chemistry I referenced above of the two actors, and cast accordingly!  @Pearlee, I bet you've seen that film and can fill us in!

771c43ae3ccbb30c0781aa1625fd8be3.pngDon't you love that the law students were so nicely dressed?   

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "MAN IN A CHARIOT" DAVID JANSSEN, ED BEGLEY MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell. This is one of my favorite episodes which I have already watched twice this week on YouTube. Yes I love how nicely the law students are dressed ( all of whom are quite good in their roles). I do not love that all are male (no upcoming lady lawyers😠 and juries are also referred to as all male ( Begley had been in Twelve Angry Men !) I realize those were the times, lawyers were men. The woman in the show is a secretary, with a female law student not even in the realm of possibility. But I digress...

This show is filled with closeups, and DJ is phenomenal with his nuanced facial expressions as he reacts to what is being said, and what he is observing. While drooling over his handsomeness as I watched the show as a pre-teen, I overlooked his really great acting, esp in this episode. In the opening scene Kimble is a dishwasher. That man looks great in everything, including an apron. 😍

Surprisingly I have not seen that film oznell. I always liked Drivas who is also in another episode that takes place in NYC and which I can't remember much about other than he has mental issues (very troubled) and I remember him sweating a lot while grappling with his inner demons. Can't remember the plot though. He is almost too pretty (beautiful eyes) in a Tony Curtis way. It was very sad about his death at age 50.

The two great scenes in this episode are both clever ones: in the law library and one involving a TV camera. And I think I know what dialogue @Tique will choose to highlight from this epi 😁.

I think there is one big flaw in the plot but it doesn't spoil the episode for me. I just loved the whole idea of this one!

Note the reporter with terrible bags under his eyes. I don't think you'd see that today on an actor with all the plastic surgery being done or makeup tricks to conceal it.

Enjoy this episode everyone! Two thumbs up from Pearley.👍👍

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "MAN IN A CHARIOT" DAVID JANSSEN, ED BEGLEY MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee   if you already know what exchange I'll pick, you are steps ahead of me. I watched yesterday. Usually when I finish I immediately know but in this episode there are several scenes which could be deemed perfection or near perfection. Right now: call me flummoxed. I do plan to watch again early tomorrow morning. Maybe then I'll get some clarity.

Robert Drivas pics

Robert Drivas - Wikiwand

Pictures of Robert Drivas, Picture #62501 - Pictures Of Celebrities

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Tique. Those eyes in the first pic! Wow.
I know we will both comment more tomorrow but did you like this one?

Funny about your pick dialogue. Since I posted earlier, now I'm thinking it could possibly be another one. I'll tell you which two tomorrow, after you post.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee   I liked it. I really liked it. I didn't realize this until yesterday but most of the time my picks involve DK RK. He dosn't have to have the majority of the dialogue but he should be included. Even if he only has one line. One memorable line i.e. "Not all of it", the response to Dorina when she said "All the dirt washed off". 

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Tique. Happy you liked this episode too and I hope the other newbies do.

😄 Your small typo above is saved because it could be D-i-c-k Kimble. 😄
Honored Contributor

LOL I saw what you did above. Thanks for the strike-through so my post still makes sense. 🙂
Honored Contributor

Oh, @Pearlee ,  thank you for bringing up something I wanted to mention, but forgot!  Now that we're in the 2nd season, I'm suddenly noticing more of the episodes available on youtube.  So, if anyone wants to get into the series, but has neither the DVDs or MeTV, please google and check-- chances are you'll be able to watch.  And you can get started with this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOeVanbzNG8

@Pearlee,  ha, ha, as soon as you mentioned the reporter with bags--  I immediately thought-- Gene Lyons!  I couldn't remember if he's the reporter in this, but it must be him.  I long for the days when reporters were rumpled, ink-stained wretches with bags under their eyes and a nose for the story, just the story...

@Tique, wow those pictures.  That first one confirms @Pearlee 's 'matinee idol' reference to Tony Curtis, whoa.

I was expecting the picture of him with DJ to have Janssen looking "older" and more battered,  like he did in his later series,  but he and Drivas, supposedly father and son, don't look that different in age in that shot!

Respected Contributor

@OznellThough I well remember Harold Gould as Rhoda's dad, I also associate him with the Golden Girls, where he played Miles, Rose's boyfriend.  Just one of his many guises, as you note.

Honored Contributor

Oh, thank you, I had forgotten that, observant @vsm !   He was an extraordinarily busy actor!