Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "LANDSCAPE WITH RUNNING FIGURES PART 1" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EA

[ Edited ]

@Oznell - It was obvious that the years of Gerard obsessing over Kimble was too much for Marie.  In that hairbrushing scene you mentioned, Marie was acting like a Stepford wife!  

Yes - I did think Gerard's comments to Jud Taylor's character were hard to believe.

Respected Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "LANDSCAPE WITH RUNNING FIGURES PART 1" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EA

I want to start off mentioning William Conrad. What a golden voice. Love his opening voice overs setting the stage for what's to come, then his final wrap ups. I can't imagine any other actor in the part. Wonder if it was his decision not to be credited in the role.

But what struck me about the opening was when he said Kimble was working the most menial of labor. Menial? What an insensitive word for honest work. I wondered how many menial workers watched the show, and how they might have felt being referred to by the term.

I don't think Kimble ever looked more dejected as he did when he turned and went back out into the rain. As everyone mentioned, he wasn't himself and acted out of character. I think Gerard pickup on the fact that Kimble using his own name wasn't just a big slip up but was his first glimpse of Kimble being his most vulnerable. Which made Gerard even more driven and thinking he really needed to strike, to the exclusion of everything else.

When checking in at the hotel and Gerard made the phone call, the look of disgust on Marie's face was priceless when he said it was just a vacation. And when a wife starts using her maiden name, to most men that would be a wake up call. Gerard just doubled down his focus on Kimble.

And could he have been any more condescending to the local officers conducting the search? You just know they were thinking he was a pompous jackass.

@Oznell, I don't remember any amorous attention from another passenger. That may have been cut from ME TV.

Oh, and I really liked the kids. The oldest very street smart reading the signs that Kimble was in trouble. Liked that he shared the money with his brother. And while Gerard was talking to them, telling them he was looking for a friend you could tell he wasn't happy when the uniform cop walked in. So much for the friend ploy.

And I know the station was set up not just to look for Kimble, but also the flood concerns, but it looked like they were planning the Normandy Invasion. Sort of like the battlefield map at Gettysburg.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@twinsister wrote:

@Oznell - It was obvious that the years of Gerard obsessing over Kimble was too much for Marie.  In that hairbrushing scene you mentioned, Marie was acting like a Stepford wife!  

Yes - I did think Gerard's comments to Jud Taylor's character were hard to believe.

@twinsister   I agree with your comment. Most people would have been puzzled that Gerard didn't seem to be too concerned about his missing wife. He got by with the lie about her shopping for as long as he could. After the detctive came in and said she had denied being Mrs, Gerard and gave the name of Mrs. Lindsey for most people that would have signaled something could be wrong. Did she have a break with reality? Or something else? Of course Gerard knew what was going on but I didn't find it unusual for the others to want to pursue the fact that she seemed to be MIA. 

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

@Etoile308,  ha, ha,  glad you mentioned the ultra- bustling police station--  I was enjoying their (probably unrealistic) highly concentrated efforts too, pins-on-maps and all.  Normandy invasion indeed!

Yes, the exchanges with other policemen are always revealing with Gerard.  His scarcely concealed contempt and impatience with them seem to have gotten worse over time, just as (apparently) his inattention to his wife's needs has as well...

That's what I liked so much about Captain Ames--  his professional deameanor and considerateness of Gerard's admittedly difficult situation was a nice counterpoint.

@Tique,  right, it was downright bizarre that Gerard would put his wife's stability and safety on a lower rung than the possible re-capture of Kimble.  He was always obsessive about K., but in some episodes that takes quite a dark turn, like in this one...

I'm having a hard time imagining Gerard as a young romantic swain, taking time from his all-important investigative work to court and marry his lady love, ha. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Etoile308,  ha, ha,  glad you mentioned the ultra- bustling police station--  I was enjoying their (probably unrealistic) highly concentrated efforts too, pins-on-maps and all.  Normandy invasion indeed!

Yes, the exchanges with other policemen are always revealing with Gerard.  His scarcely concealed contempt and impatience with them seem to have gotten worse over time, just as (apparently) his inattention to his wife's needs has as well...

That's what I liked so much about Captain Ames--  his professional deameanor and considerateness of Gerard's admittedly difficult situation was a nice counterpoint.

@Tique,  right, it was downright bizarre that Gerard would put his wife's stability and safety on a lower rung than the possible re-capture of Kimble.  He was always obsessive about K., but in some episodes that takes quite a dark turn, like in this one...

I'm having a hard time imagining Gerard as a young romantic swain, taking time from his all-important investigative work to court and marry his lady love, ha. 

@Oznell  Your last paragraph is why I disagree with --I think it was @twinsister  above who said -- that  Rush was the perfect Mrs. Gerard. I think she was way out of his league in beauty, sophistication, elegance and emotional capacity.  I can't imagine her giving him a second date!

I suppose she could have been impressed with how smart he is but still... I did see an online interview with Morse talking about his character getting more obsessive and unhinged the more frustrated he got about not being able to catch Kimble. But surely he showed signs dating a future wife that he was neurotic!  So, I've always thought Rush was miscast as Mrs. Gerard.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@twinsister  I'm not sure she was acting like a Stepford wife. She seemed to me to just be distancing herself from hom because she had been disappointed and neglected so many times she was fed up with him.  That was a really good scene! I agree with @oznell's assessment of it.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I was one who said she was well-cast as Mrs. Gerard, @Pearlee , but what I meant is, they needed an actress of the depth of Barbara Rush to pull off this difficult role--  not that she was a good match for Philip Gerard!

She clearly wasn't, and that's the mystery of it all, what I was trying to tease out--  how could they have come together?  But weirdly in real life you sometimes see these absolutely incongruous pairings, and wonder "WHY?", ha.

I'll have a bit more to say about that after we've all viewed Part 2!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Funny that the only thing I seem to remember about Part 2 is I didn't like it because it got too preposterous. We shall see......

Honored Contributor

I just watched Part 2 and aaaargh the sound went out on that Lee's Classics video right at a really good part! 👎

@Oznell. Oh yes...near the end...how could I possibly have forgotten that? 

I wouldn't call Part 2 preposterous exactly but there is a little side story going on that Part 2 would have been a lot better without.